hugger orange

torque management?

hey I was hoping someone could school me on torque management. I have an 04 gto a4, what is the difference between torque management and traction control? is there a way to turn it off or limit it like with the traction control button? I have a super chips handheld tuner, It has stock/performance setting, shift point adjust, and shift firmness adjust, does it do anything to affect tq/m. I know the superchip tuner is very limited, (it lets me read and clear codes). I am going to get a tuner program for a laptop later (hopefully this summer), can anyone recomend one for me. Cold air Intake, slp maf, superchips tune, pacesetter lts, 3 inch true duals so far. Rite now it looks good now I need to make it faster. future mods: 3500 stall, heads, intake, cam and maybe FI
    Thank for you input and help guys

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Superchips is to limited

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    hey I was hoping someone could school me on torque management. I have an 04 gto a4, what is the difference between torque management and traction control? is there a way to turn it off or limit it like with the traction control button? I have a super chips handheld tuner, It has stock/performance setting, shift point adjust, and shift firmness adjust, does it do anything to affect tq/m. I know the superchip tuner is very limited, (it lets me read and clear codes). I am going to get a tuner program for a laptop later (hopefully this summer), can anyone recomend one for me. Cold air Intake, slp maf, superchips tune, pacesetter lts, 3 inch true duals so far. Rite now it looks good now I need to make it faster. future mods: 3500 stall, heads, intake, cam and maybe FI
    Thank for you input and help guys
    Yea man Superchips is limited in what options you can modify. I don't know if Superchips programmer has the torque management option, which would allow you to turn it on and off. I own a Diablosport Predator handheld tuner and it allows you to adjust a lot of things that Superchips does not. Either get the laptop program (HPTuners or LS1Edit) or go to someone who does dyno tuning and they will be able to turn it off. As for what the difference is between T/C and Tq. Mgmnt it is quite simple. Traction control adjust spin, so if your right rear is spinning it will adjust so that both wheels spin rather than one. Torque management controls the amount of torque the rear end is putting to the wheels. With it off the computer no longer controls the torque, therefore you put more power to the wheels.

hugger orange

ok, thank you for the info, I kept hearing people talking about torque managment, but wasn't sure about it or how it worked....so how many people, and how long, did they work to detune our cars potential before they got them to the dealerships lol

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

From what I understand basically torque management retards timing right before the shift to supposedly save the trans.

silver
    2004 gto

try a burnout with traction on. then do one with traction off.mine won't spin on water with it on. it has nothing to do with one or two tires spinning. pos unit controls that.

hugger orange

lol yeah, I pulled up to do my burnout at the track and realized really quick that I forgot to turn it off

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Torque Management is GM's way of putting an end to the fun before it gets started. There are several different scenarios that bring TM into play. Among these are "abusive launches" and WOT up-shifts/downshifts. When TM is enabled, the PCM thinks you are being abusive, and either pulls timing or closes the throttle body on ETC LS2's to kill power. You may drive forever without ever realizing what TM is or does, until you experience a vehicle back-to-back with the TM removed....Major Difference!! Instantly wheel spin is available at low speeds and WOT up-shifts feel much stronger and will produce wheel spin as well. Applying a custom tune will make available throttle response improved in those with electronic throttle body's Drastically!!!! If you command WOT with your right foot, you get WOT, not what the PCM feels like giving you!

I would remove it and not think twice.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

hugger orange

thank you ls2tuner, the more I'm on here the more I findout that there is more out there that I know nothing about. Honestly until the other day I never even heard of torque management... As you can see I'm very new to all out computer controled engine world

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    thank you ls2tuner, the more I'm on here the more I findout that there is more out there that I know nothing about. Honestly until the other day I never even heard of torque management... As you can see I'm very new to all out computer controled engine world
    No problem glad we could help. If you don't ask you'll never know. I know many come on here and are scared to ask ?'s thinking they are "dumb" ?'s. We are here to help.

Get a good tune on that baby and you'll be amaze at the difference in the driveability!!

hugger orange

I was always told the only dumb question is the one you don't ask lol. most the time I get on here and look around someone has already asked the question i was wondering about, but then the answers they get make me have 5 or 6 more questions. You guys have been alot of help for me, I just hope I can turn around and help someone else in return.

Thread Information