Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Tax Refund...Time to upgrade!!!!

Ok so I should be getting a hefty tax refund this year....finally!!!! I really haven't done any upgrades to my GOAT except for a Diablo tune, plugs and wires and a K&N Intake. I've been scoping out parts all across the Internet and I think I've figured out what I'm gonna get. Now the wifey is only lettin' me have about $1,500 dollars since we have our first kid due in August and we'll need the funds to pay bills while she's on maternity leave. Anyways... I'm gonna get Pacesetter 1 3/4" jet hot coated headers with catless connection pipes, Hurst Billet short shifter, MotoBlue Underdrive pulley kit (25% Underdrive harmonic balancer and 32% alternator pulley w/ belts), and I think I might get the Professional Products 85mm Polished Throttle Body. All in all it should cost a little over $1,300 with some change to spare.

What I would like to know from you guys is are these good upgrades or should I ditch one or two of these and go with another upgrade?

All parts will be installed by myself and my brother. Both of us are mechanically inclined, so there will be no cost for labor. Thanx in advace fellas!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Headers for sure.....now you need to focus on the chassis.....drag bags/springs for sure....radius rod bushings up front and strut bushings......stiffy......then a dyno tune....
    You'll crap how much better she launches and how much quicker she is with just the above....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would fit that tune in there one way or the other to take advantage of the mods you do (at a minimum look at Frost's mail order tune for $125 since you have limited mods or see how far he is from you, I know he's in Virginia somewhere). I would do the headers and shifter for sure but would probably just do a ported/polished TB and save some coin there. If you plan on a cam at some point I'd probably wait on the pulley because it'll have to come off for that and I try not to do work twice.
    I would take that money saved and work on getting the car to hook like Sarge suggested except I'm cheap. I would probably throw some Nitto's under it and call it a day and if you have money left over put it towards the things Sarge listed.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When I get mine, my headers will FINALLY be installed and I am waiting for the carbon lip spoiler, which will be installed by yours truly.

SOLD.New Ride:2011 MAXIMA Pimp'n the 2004's Avatar

Black on Black
    2004 GTO (M6)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Headers for sure.....now you need to focus on the chassis.....drag bags/springs for sure....radius rod bushings up front and strut bushings......stiffy......then a dyno tune....
    You'll crap how much better she launches and how much quicker she is with just the above....
    AMEN...i just had a pedders Steet II kit installed...WOW what a difference...I dont know how I drove it before this upgrade.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Well bro only thing I would add to the list is your cutting the restrictions from the exhaust topside but we need to bring it all the way back!! Might have to purchase that Lincoln MIG Welder to set you up with a custom exhaust!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp'n the 2004 View Post
    AMEN...i just had a pedders Steet II kit installed...WOW what a difference...I dont know how I drove it before this upgrade.
    Yup...folks with stock suspensions are clueless what they are giving up in performance...I mean putting the power to the ground is 50% of being quick and going fast...they focus on engine mods and forget half the secret is in the chassis Like the stiffy......hell under $200 bucks....easy install...and what a fricking difference in getting it to the ground.....

Black
    2004 GTO

where do you purchase all this stuff..??online or will a local autozone/ shop have em?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'll put together a list for you...where in Texas are you at?

Black
    2004 GTO

I'll put together a list for you...where in Texas are you at?

Mcallen TX...Way south tx

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    Well bro only thing I would add to the list is your cutting the restrictions from the exhaust topside but we need to bring it all the way back!! Might have to purchase that Lincoln MIG Welder to set you up with a custom exhaust!!
    Welcome aboard bro!!!! It's about time you finally joined the forum!!! Better start postin' up some more; this site is great for technical stuff and everyone responds quickly to your posts. Remember there are no stupid questions, if you feel unsure ask away and someone will have the answer.

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Well all, I think I'll get the suspension upgrades along with the headers and shifter and call it a day for now. Thanks for all the posts!!

Sarge,
    Any idea where I can get the Pedders suspension parts you mentioned for a decent price up here in the Mid-Atlantic (West Virginia, very close to MD and VA lines)?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    Mcallen TX...Way south tx
    Call Lesters Automotive in Boerne, Texas...he has Pedders stuff at cost...ask for Bob....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7literMustangEater View Post
    Well all, I think I'll get the suspension upgrades along with the headers and shifter and call it a day for now. Thanks for all the posts!!

Sarge,
    Any idea where I can get the Pedders suspension parts you mentioned for a decent price up here in the Mid-Atlantic (West Virginia, very close to MD and VA lines)?
    http://www.peddersusa.com/dealer-finder/52

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Thanks Sarge!!! I just sent the dealer in Norfolk, VA an inquiry about getting the radius rod bushings, strut bushings and sway bar bushings. Just waiting to here back from them. Thanks again!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Me I would do a Walbro 255 fuel pump.
    A WET Nitrous kit that uses a plate design.
    A set of Autolite AR94 plugs.
    A pair of drag radials.

And go to the track and blow off some mid 11's.

If your ALL out anti bottle. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

What are you currently running for mufflers?
    Also I would ditch the K&N or at least trade out the filter for a "dry" one and clean your MAF.

I would spend more on the shifter if your going to keep the car. This one feels A LOT better in my opinion plus it's shorter.
    http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...er-p-3177.html

I would put in a set of B&R drag bags.

Then I would install some sub frame connectors. I don't see any point in doing springs or bushings until you make the car itself rigid my welding the sub frame together and making a "REAL" frame. You'd be amazed at the you'll feel just in driving around.

I'm not a big fan of Pacesetters myself. Yes headers would help aid in power gain.

My 2 cents 4 you.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Angry The man's bringin' me down!!!

I hate doing taxes!!!!! Well looks like I overestimated how much my wife and I would be getting back, so she has set my limit at $500. So looks like I'll be just getting the headers for now, but I'm savin' every penny from here on out to get the GOAT upgraded to its fullest potential.

I figure since the GOAT is fairly stock I'd like to free up some extra horses and not lose the driveability I already have and the headers are a good option to do that.

Thanks for all the posts fellas!!! I now have lots of ideas on what to do to my ride!!

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Me I would do a Walbro 255 fuel pump.
    A WET Nitrous kit that uses a plate design.
    A set of Autolite AR94 plugs.
    A pair of drag radials.

And go to the track and blow off some mid 11's.

If your ALL out anti bottle. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

What are you currently running for mufflers?
    Also I would ditch the K&N or at least trade out the filter for a "dry" one and clean your MAF.

I would spend more on the shifter if your going to keep the car. This one feels A LOT better in my opinion plus it's shorter.
    http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...er-p-3177.html

I would put in a set of B&R drag bags.

Then I would install some sub frame connectors. I don't see any point in doing springs or bushings until you make the car itself rigid my welding the sub frame together and making a "REAL" frame. You'd be amazed at the you'll feel just in driving around.

I'm not a big fan of Pacesetters myself. Yes headers would help aid in power gain.

My 2 cents 4 you.
    I'd love to get that shifter from Billet Products, but unfortunately it's not in the budget.

Adding Nitrous would be great, but I've never run the car at a track so I'd like to run it naturally aspirated a few times and get the feel of haulin' ass at a track. I'm in no way shape or form anti-nitrous, I just have plans for the GOAT being more of a street car than track car.

I will definately look into stiffin' up the frame when more funds become available to me along with swappin' out the K&N filter for a dry one. I'm already looking into the drag bags as well as some drag radials, but again money ain't pourin' into my bank account, so it'll have to wait. Thanks for your input it is always well appreciated.

Black
    2004 GTO

check this out..
    http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...p?prod=3.18134

any idea if this is a good set or not?? is this what your talking about when you mention bushings??

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I dont have any of those bushing,nor have I rode in a GTO to see what if any of the diffrences are,my personal opinion on the bushing and such ,if it aint wore out why spend all the money on them.I have put those bushing on my 1970 monte when I redone it back in 2002 but it was wore out the body mounts and bushing were crushed in a lot of places,32 years is alot for them rubber bushings ,it did stiffin the car up made the ride way harsher,car def response alil faster.the best thing i done to my gto was to put BMR frame ties on it ,i felt the diffrence with them.Ive made alot of 10 second passes on stock shit.again just staing my experiences,everyones taste and likes are diffrent.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Thread Information