Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Talking Automatics and ATF

I know many of you guys run M6's gear bangers....so this is more for us "Old Ladys" running automatics

I run a 4L65E FLT Stage V w/3800 Stall.....as we all already know heat is the number one enemy.....so of course I run a B&M Cooler and a spin on remote ATF filter ( NAPA GOLD 1515)....I never see temps over 160 even after back to back to back hard launches and runs.....I run nothing but plain old conventional Valvoline DEX III ATF and flush it ( see BG Machine) and change the filter once a year. Takes 16 quarts. No problems. FLT mandates no synthetic ATF and I have never had a problem with that.....
    So....what ATF do you guys run? How often do you change it? Do you have it flushed or do it the old fashioned way...drop the pan and refill the 4-5 quarts you get out.....
    Last edited by Sarge; 03-29-2008 at 05:39 AM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Stock.......... The 2 GTO's I have had both had such low mileage I never had to service nor did I change the converters due the the fact that the bottle loves them tight (as do I).

As for all the race cars though with autos we have had best heat luck with the Castrol Type F.

I have found and been told by many tranny builders that the Type F always works better on high power applications due to the fact it has more gripping agents and in a sense is a more course blend which equals less clutch pack slippage.
    They was also a temp. test done by Hughes or TransGo a few years back on brand comparisons and heat breakdown and Castrol took the poll. We have seen great results also with the trans temp gauges on the race cars.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah I heard good things about Castrol F but couldn't find it anywhere. Send me 16 quarts.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I'm running a L460E Rossler Terminator II transmission with a PI Vig 3200 triple disk and B&M 24k GVU cooler. DEX III ATF. On the street I typically am under 160 but a couple of hot laps will get me up to 200 degrees because the cooler isn't all that effective over just a 1/4 mile. ...so the cars in for some work right now. One thing I'm adding to help keep the temps down on the track is a B&M Transmission Fluid Consistency System.

http://buckeyegoats.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3316

I'm also having all the extra tranny rubber hoses replaced with braided lines and AN connectors because one hose popped off the tranny cooler last year causing a really nice smoke show at a busy intersection.
    10.954 123.58 1.496 489.29 rwhp 475.52 rwtq

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

I use type f in my 4l60e stage2 build. it works fine. i just went with it because it was kinda mid level in cost. feels good. wish i had changed torque converters while i had it apart, but money wouldn't let me and when you have a couple bad clutches you need to go ahead and rebuild it.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yeah I heard good things about Castrol F but couldn't find it anywhere. Send me 16 quarts.
    No problem Sarge PM your adress.

Thread Information