Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-Top GTO??

Nero
    2006 gto

Question T-Top GTO??

Has anyone seen or heard anything from any company or individual about turning a GTO into a T-Top? Ive seen the Holden Monaro Marilyn, which is a convertible, but having rolled in a Mustang ::as a passenger:: Id prefer slightly more of a solid top. Any ideas on if it could be done?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

There is a shop around where i live, cant remember name, but the put T-tops in alot of cars. It aint cheap.

Nero
    2006 gto

Awesome. At least now I know it can be done... any idea what would be cheaper, removable top with no center bar, or t-top? Id imagine just one piece would be easier.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I dont think T-top looks good for this car .. but a sunroof would look very nice ...

black, and black
    04 M6

a 1 piece removeable top like on the vettes would be awesome
    04 blk/blk m6, K&N fipk, slp MAF, 85mm tb/bypass, UD pully factory chrome wheels 255 rears245 fronts B&M tinted windows ws6 hood D/S rotors diablo sport slp II long tubes custom exahust no cats, no res, battery relocate cust. skid plate 160 t stat 85mm fast intake drag bags

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    a 1 piece removeable top like on the vettes would be awesome
    dude my secrets out. lol. ive been talkin bout that idea on goats for like two years now. man that would look sweet too. and prob be one of the only ones ever

Nero
    2006 gto

bwahahahaha...IM DOIN IT!!! If I get it and post pics first, ill give joint credit for the idea, but yea itll be sweet. Only problem is where the hell am i gonna put the top?? It might fit in the trunk, but then where do the subs go??

Sidenote...any good suggestions on replacement speakers for an 06 GTO? Im gonna amp it too since my bro gets a 50% discount on car stereo equip. Im thinkin with a stock ten speaker system, I might not even need subs. This still sticks in the t-top thread, because open-air cars NEED bangin sound!!

You guys rock, but...

Blog Entries

GTO conversion to T-Tops

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Has anyone seen or heard anything from any company or individual about turning a GTO into a T-Top? Ive seen the Holden Monaro Marilyn, which is a convertible, but having rolled in a Mustang ::as a passenger:: Id prefer slightly more of a solid top. Any ideas on if it could be done?

At this point in time I would suggest purchasing a car with ttops due to the supply and the market. BUT, I'm not opposed to creating a beautiful GTO with ttops. You would probably use the MR2 ttops since they are one of the smallest. You would then have to come up with weatherstripping kits. I could refer you to a good company for weatherstripping and we can get you the ttops for under $200 if your interested.

It can be done, just gotta find the right body shop and the right parts.
    You can check out our site for more info here...

Brian Barnett
    President
    T-Tops Online

www.t-topsonline.com

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I would not do a targa top, believe it or not when i have the targa off on my supra i feel a world or difference at high speeds, the body likes to twist more at low speeds when you get on it, i may have a 500+rwhp car but even when it only made 350rwhp I hated racing with the targa off. Its alot more noticable than a T-Top car.

Blog Entries

Targa vs. T-Tops

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I would not do a targa top, believe it or not when i have the targa off on my supra i feel a world or difference at high speeds, the body likes to twist more at low speeds when you get on it, i may have a 500+rwhp car but even when it only made 350rwhp I hated racing with the targa off. Its alot more noticable than a T-Top car.
    You definitely need to go with t-tops. If you went targa, you would have to most likely have something custom made and yes Guru is right it is less aerodynamic!

Nero
    2006 gto

Thanks for all the input... this forum kicks ass. The main reason I want a removable top is for cruising down on Cape Cod during the summers...pullin up to the beach and schmoozin' honeys under the stars. Not really worried about aerodynamics, because yeah, above 40mph, open t-tops are a hindrance, as Ive experienced on my friends 94 z28 A4. Solid, closed top for racing.

So im diggin the idea of the one-piece top like the Vette's. Figure it could hide a rollcage fairly well. The only major problem I see there is where to place the top when its off.

LONG LIVE THE ORIGINAL MUSCLECAR!!!! (and schmoozin' honeys!)

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Always wanted to do this with a 3rd gen... and some day I will.. but like you said... will need to find someone to do a custom top.. then the weatherstripping.. and the place to put it....
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Blog Entries

T-Top Weatherstripping

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Always wanted to do this with a 3rd gen... and some day I will.. but like you said... will need to find someone to do a custom top.. then the weatherstripping.. and the place to put it....
    I know of STEELERUBBER. I don't use them to sell, just refer so you can do your own research. Google them if you need weatherstripping for GM cars!

Glad to be of service!

Brian B
    President
    T-Tops Online

www.t-topsonline.com

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I wasnt just talking about aerodynamics, it also takes alot away from the strength of the whole car. That bar that T-Tops have in between the 2 keeps the car more firm when the tops are off. You will notice a huge difference when racing and or taking turns at high speeds. Its almost as bad as haveing a vert

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I wasnt just talking about aerodynamics, it also takes alot away from the strength of the whole car. That bar that T-Tops have in between the 2 keeps the car more firm when the tops are off. You will notice a huge difference when racing and or taking turns at high speeds. Its almost as bad as haveing a vert
    But wouldn't that be where SFCs would come into play?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Buddy my car has 500rwhp i have SFC and believe me its still a world of difference, I also have them on my T/A and the T/A with SFC and the Supra with SFCs the T/A feels alot better, hell my supra came with SFCs and when i got my T/A it didnt and the T/A still felt alot more solid. I mean its not the hardest thing in the world to deal with, i still race with the top off, i can tell there is a perfomance lose but if you want targa top go with that, it is baller when you have no roof and your car. Another thing to take in is how are you goin to latch it on. My supra is annoying as hell it has 4 holes where i put an allen wrench tool and have to basically remove 4 screws, they stay attached to the top but its still annoying.
    Last edited by 2000T/A Guru; 11-14-2007 at 09:02 AM.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yeah thats what I mean.. I put them on mine.. but you were talking about how bad the body flexs without the t-bar.. SFCs should take care of that....

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I say the T/A felt more stable with no SFCs, than the supra with SFCs, they help but they dotn solve the problem, if this isnt gonna be built into a 500-1200rwhp race beast you should be fine with a targa top.

Nero
    2006 gto

Never thought about the body flex, good looks on pointin that out. Its not gonna see over 600hp, and certainly not gonna be put through more than the spirited highway thrashing, possibly the occasional drag... Maybe a nice big sunroof would be my best bet?

Might I also ask what an SFC is? Im stil lrelatively new to this whole past-time, but I catch on quick. I figure im gonna have the suspension done up for street/drift, Im gonna put in stabilizer bars, all that good stuff to keep it performing as a destructive DD.

Thanx for all the input once again.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Never thought about the body flex, good looks on pointin that out. Its not gonna see over 600hp, and certainly not gonna be put through more than the spirited highway thrashing, possibly the occasional drag... Maybe a nice big sunroof would be my best bet?

Might I also ask what an SFC is? Im stil lrelatively new to this whole past-time, but I catch on quick. I figure im gonna have the suspension done up for street/drift, Im gonna put in stabilizer bars, all that good stuff to keep it performing as a destructive DD.

Thanx for all the input once again.
    SFCs are SubFrameConnectors... connect the front and the rear of the car.

Thread Information