Suggestions on purchasing GTO

Hey guys, didn't see an intro section so I'll start off my saying what's up and am currently looking for a GTO. Current ride is a 96 Cobra with bolt ons. Looking for something newer, easier to mod, more responsive to mods, and bigger as my wife and 2 kids like to go on cruises and meets as well.

So, that being said, I'm looking to pick up a goat. I was curious as to getting some insight on what to keep any eye out for, what common problems are, and what my first couple mods should be and what if any are some free mods for both performance and aesthetics.

I'm looking at getting a 5.7, they are more in my budget, and I have a lot of buddies with F Bodies/5.7 goats/C5 Z06s and they all have parts left over from either upgrading to bigger and better or bought and now don't want to install.

I'm not looking to make it a 10 second car. Just make good power, and able to put DRs on it and run low 12s/high 11s and maintain good street manners as it will be my DD. I posted this on another GTO forum but it's very slow and have received minimum responses.

So what are your thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

First, I would check the rearend where the drive shaft goes into the diff for leaks as there was a bulletin on this matter.

Onto the mods:

Headers, catback, cold air intake, drag bags if you don't plan to do any suspension upgrades. The 5.7s will benefit from some 243 heads. Combine the 243s with a Z06 cam and you'd be set as your engine would pretty much be an LS6 rather than the LS1 as us 04/5.7 owners already have the LS6 block, intake and throttle body. Others will give you some more advice.

I have mine up for trade for a mustang actually. What's the deal with it

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

It needs the heads rebuilt, more specifically it needs lifters replaced. It's about 300 in parts, I just want something bigger for car seats. Also needs paint. It's a 10 footer. Here's some pics of it

It's a good car. Pretty quick, handles great, I like it, just want something a little less raw and a little bigger

What's the mileage

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

114k. T-45 was rebuilt at 109k with upgraded synchros and had a ford racing clutch put in it. Has adjustable clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, which to be honest, I've yet to fine tune. It has a brand new clutch cable on it and I have to re adjust it as its stretched a little during break in.

It really doesn't sound too worth it to me unless its good a good chunk of cash

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

It's not, and I'm more looking to sell and finance the goat and use the money for upgrades. I'd like a manual anyways. Nice car none the less.

back on track, anyone have more suggestions??? So far I've heard 'the cars perfect' more times than I can count

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have a 2004 GTO and I love it. My wife drives it for work and she gets around 20mpg average. It is comfortable and reliable and it will crack into the 13's stock. They are out there for the picking. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

We've all told you what you need to know. All you have to do is go and test drive a few and make your decision. Another good piece is a Harrop differential cover. Firms up the rear diff quite nicely. Once you get your GTO, check out the sponsor section if you haven't already.

Your call.

Thread Information