Thread: Strange Issue

Blue
    2004 GTO

Strange Issue

I am having a strange problem with my 2004 GTO. It started about two weeks ago when out of nowhere it would not start. It would turn over and run for about two seconds and then just stop. I charged the battery for about two hours and it started right up and for the next 10-15 starts I had no issues. Then once again it did the exact same thing so I then bought a new battery thinking that was the issue. It started up just fine three times then the next day the same problem happened again. I love my car but I also know that it is unlike any other car I have ever had as it has many unique features which sometimes makes it hard to diagnos the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

hugger orange

i take it your not getting any codes (check engine light).

there is a resistor in the key that the computer needs to see....if tge tumblers in the ignition get dirty (trust me they do) it will not read the correct resistance, which will trigger the VATS system.
    there are a few screws under the cover over the steering colum....take them over and pull the bottom half off.
    now use several rags to catch the spray and run off and squirt some WD-40 into the key hole now stick your key in and work it back and forth.....repeat several times until the fluid coming out is clean.
    now use a quick squirt of white lithuim grease and work the key back and fourth several times.

I'm just guessing here, but it only costs a couple of bucks and I think it will fix your problem.

good luck and let us know!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

IAC maybe?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    i take it your not getting any codes (check engine light).

there is a resistor in the key that the computer needs to see....if tge tumblers in the ignition get dirty (trust me they do) it will not read the correct resistance, which will trigger the VATS system.
    there are a few screws under the cover over the steering colum....take them over and pull the bottom half off.
    now use several rags to catch the spray and run off and squirt some WD-40 into the key hole now stick your key in and work it back and forth.....repeat several times until the fluid coming out is clean.
    now use a quick squirt of white lithuim grease and work the key back and fourth several times.

I'm just guessing here, but it only costs a couple of bucks and I think it will fix your problem.

good luck and let us know!

Blue
    2004 GTO

So here is the deal. I shot some WD40 into the ignitian but that did not fix the issue. So I took it in to my trusted mechanic. He tested the whole electrical system which checked out okay. He then was nice enough to have it for three days trying to get it to do what it was doing with me but of course it did not. Go figure. I have had it now for two days driving it here and there just waiting for it to act up but so far so good. I am thinking that maybe something was loose and he might have tightened it when he was checking it out. The good news is he did not charge me anything for looking at it and it might be fixed. I stress the word might.

hugger orange

let's hope he accidently fixed it!
    I've been lucky sofar, the only problems I have had is every once in awhile the temp gauge goes nuts for a minute, then goes right back to normal

Nero
    2006 gto

Not to hijack, but Mark, you might want to get your water pump checked. The same thing happened to me last year, I knew the temp couldnt be changing THAT far THAT fast; it would destroy the metal from the stress. I had it taken to the dealer and they threw a new water pump on for me, fixed the problem. The mechanic said he'd seen the problem a few times on LS2's (its a vette dealership) Just a thought...

As for the OP, Ive had an issue when turning the ignition to Off and removing the key. Sometimes it doesnt do the 'click' after the key is removed, and if I dont redo the turn off, the battery gets drained.
    Anyone without a gun and a knife and a handkerchief and a chapstick get the F%$# out of here!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Not to hijack, but Mark, you might want to get your water pump checked. The same thing happened to me last year, I knew the temp couldnt be changing THAT far THAT fast; it would destroy the metal from the stress. I had it taken to the dealer and they threw a new water pump on for me, fixed the problem. The mechanic said he'd seen the problem a few times on LS2's (its a vette dealership) Just a thought...

As for the OP, Ive had an issue when turning the ignition to Off and removing the key. Sometimes it doesnt do the 'click' after the key is removed, and if I dont redo the turn off, the battery gets drained.
    I wanted to be sure, so I hookedup a set of aftermarket autometer gauges.....its an electrical glitch, factory gauge jumps and autometer gauge doesnt

Torrid Red
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    let's hope he accidently fixed it!
    I've been lucky sofar, the only problems I have had is every once in awhile the temp gauge goes nuts for a minute, then goes right back to normal
    Same here 3 days ago. Only did it once when I first started it in the morning.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1si View Post
    Same here 3 days ago. Only did it once when I first started it in the morning.
    most commonly happens on the 04's, when I bought mine it was a year old and already had a new gauge cluster

Dark Spiral
    2004 GMC Sierra

As far as GM clusters go, they were horrible in 04. I can't tell you how many I've ordered for 1500 series over the last 4 months. My parents' 04 Sunfire had a cluster issue. There's no way to fix it other than to get a new cluster put in.
    1987-2008
    Adam "Cadillac" Howard
    "Shine Your Light"

phantom black
    2006 GTO

hey you may have a loose connection on your electrical plug to your fuel pump behind the fuel tank. my GTO did or sounds like the same problem. it only happened once in while. one day at idle it just stopped it would crank but not start. that's my story and sticking to it.

Thread Information