Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should I buy GTO w/Cams?

I have been looking at a local dealer's ad for an 06 GTO with quite a few mods. My question is, at 40,000 miles, is it a bad idea to buy a GTO with all these engine mods NOT knowing how well it has been taken care of? And do you all think I will run into problems in the future with needing the engine re-tuned?

3" Magnaflow Full Exhaust
    SLP Long Tube Headers
    Stage II Comp CAMS
    8 Millimeter Plug Wires

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/877323575.html

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Bobby V, I looked at the car and it is very nice, but I would be worried about the mods and if it were tuned for those mods and the millage IMHO is high for their asking price---- too many unknows and why is he selling it after so much work? regards, Jack

Ray Charles blue

OP. Fly to PA and get my 04 BONE stock QSM/Black 6-speed for 15.5k. It has 30k miles and is stored indoors and very well maintained. Hell I will pay your plane ticket to come get the car.

I dont drive it anymore and I wont drive it in the winter so it will just sit with the battery tender on it.

Front tires are wore but the back are decent. I can rotate those to the front and put the extra wheels with the 555 drag radials on the back. They have MAYBE 200 miles, I put them on just to see how they cleared and they were fine. I have 4 extra wheels too.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    OP. Fly to PA and get my 04 BONE stock QSM/Black 6-speed for 15.5k.
    Sounds like its in great shape, but I really like the style upgrades of the 06.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    Bobby V, I looked at the car and it is very nice, but I would be worried about the mods and if it were tuned for those mods and the millage IMHO is high for their asking price---- too many unknows and why is he selling it after so much work? regards, Jack
    I too am worried about the mileage and the fact that it has so many mods, but is being sold already. The carfax shows that it has been sold like 8 times at dealer auctions....I think I just need to continue my search. Does anyone know a good place to find a GTO within 250 miles of Austin, TX? I have tried craigslist, ebay, autotrader.com, cars.com, and carmax.com

Ray Charles blue

Run away from that other car....lol

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
    Sounds like its in great shape, but I really like the style upgrades of the 06.
    It is in great shape. 06 stuff is all bolt on stuff. The exhaust is different but I doubt you will stay with a stock exhaust anyway and there are 04 to 05/06 conversions for the same price as an 06 exhaust.

Not sure what your price range is but the LS1's are DIRT cheap right now. What you save on your purchase you can use to mod!

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

TLS No offence but the 06 is different in many ways and they all not bolt ons. Just to update the 04 to the bolt on 06 parts would be a big difference plus it has the LS2 and i'm not saying the LS1 is not a good solid engine, lord knows they have been around a long time and can be made into beasts. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    TLS No offence but the 06 is different in many ways and they all not bolt ons. Just to update the 04 to the bolt on 06 parts would be a big difference plus it has the LS2 and i'm not saying the LS1 is not a good solid engine, lord knows they have been around a long time and can be made into beasts. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    No offense at all guy.

The 06 gets optional 18 in wheels, black tail lights, a door lock button, the LS2 engine, a hood with fake scoops, and the bumper with 2 outlets, and 6.0 badges. If I forgot anything I appologize.....typing between meetings! lol

Did I miss anything?

Hoods are priced at $500, aftermarket black tails for $200 max, rear bumper $300 (I was going to change mine), 04 to 05/06 conversion cat back is $750 through stainless works. So 2k say. LS2 > LS1. But when you mod that sort of doesnt mean much. Both engines with the same cam, heads, intake, TB, and max tune are going to have roughly the same power with the edge going to the LS2 due to the displacement.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Some very little things on the inside,No big deal. Regards, Jack

I f@#ked the prom queen RoadWrath04's Avatar

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

ok i'm new to this as well, so maybe my opinion won't carry as much weight, but i drove 2 gtos before i bought mine...i drove an 06 with the 6.0, then i drove the 04 with the 5.7, both stock cars with less than 25k, well maintained cars from people i trust to take care of their rides...i liked the 04 better, partly the color (impulse blue metallic versus the silver), and partly because it felt like it had a quicker response time when i dropped the hammer...maybe it was all in my head, but i'd rather have quick response than more displacement...but of course when im done, i'll prob have a larger-displacement powerhouse pushing her down the road, so it's gonna be a question of personal taste and overall plans for what you want the ride to be...there are literally THOUSANDS of upgrades for either engine...good luck in your choice...

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

I have had mine from day one .6 miles Feb 06 and have never had a chance to drive an 04 much less see one in person and that is what I like about these cars they are not everywhere, so you have had the chance to drive both and it's what makes you happy. BTW the 04 has a manuel throttle cable and 05-06 have drive by wire. I have had no problen with mine, when I hit it it screams and that is what I care about a lot of people don't like them and maybe that is why it felt more responsive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I'd go for a 06 if possible. The LS2 is much quicker in the quarter mile. (low 13 vs. high 13 I believe)

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

squee has spoken and I have to agree.

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

i found my goat on a gto forum, cough ls1gto.com cough and got a real good deal on a low mileage 06 but there are tons of LS2 gtos going for way cheap on gto specific forums you should check it out and see if theres any close to you
    Last edited by bgable; 11-05-2008 at 06:21 PM.
    2006 IBM GTO A4
    20% sides/rear 35% Windshield,SAP Repos,Ruff 278s Staggered 18s,LT's,Catless mids,Spintech Mufflers/X pipe,Torquer v.2,Vig3200 Stall,HPTuned,AEM CAI,SLP Thermostat,IAT relocate,BMR Drag bags, P4000DVD HU.

2000 TA WS6 NBM A4 Full Bolt-Ons-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Hoods are priced at $500, aftermarket black tails for $200 max, rear bumper $300 (I was going to change mine), 04 to 05/06 conversion cat back is $750 through stainless works. So 2k say. LS2 > LS1. But when you mod that sort of doesnt mean much. Both engines with the same cam, heads, intake, TB, and max tune are going to have roughly the same power with the edge going to the LS2 due to the displacement.
    Sounds fine and dandy, but my time is worth a lot too. Im not going to go through the hassle of customizing an 04 to 06 specs when I would break even at best. I might as well buy a salvage title and do the same to save a few grand.

I appreciate your suggestions and urgency to sell your car, but I would rather "sign n drive" my 06

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I have been looking at a local dealer's ad for an 06 GTO with quite a few mods. My question is, at 40,000 miles, is it a bad idea to buy a GTO with all these engine mods NOT knowing how well it has been taken care of? And do you all think I will run into problems in the future with needing the engine re-tuned?

3" Magnaflow Full Exhaust
    SLP Long Tube Headers
    Stage II Comp CAMS
    8 Millimeter Plug Wires

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/877323575.html
    either is good,ls1 has more upgrades to make like the brakes,if work has been done and the deal is right,not a lot of diffrences in the cars,both run good.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Never buy someone else's mod'd car unless you know them and trust them. Generally, mods = run hard and put away wet (think how YOU would drive it), but the key is did they maintain it properly? That, of course, you have NO way of knowing whether they actually did it unless they have all receipts from a dealer.

I don't mind having a car that's beat on a bit, just so long as I am the one that did the beating.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

You can beat on a car hard and It will last, bought a 1970 Chevy Nova 396 SS in 72 with 22,000 on the clock. Drove the crap out of it but maintained front to back religiously. Only things that failed where the clutch, water pump, replaced belts , brakes and the things that wear , sold it with 132,000 in 1979 { still kicking my butt] and sold it for more money, case in point the guy killed it 5 months later did'nt check the water, the radiator broke got in and did'nt notice the qauge untill he burn it up, pissed me off.

Ray Charles blue

Sounds fine and dandy, but my time is worth a lot too. Im not going to go through the hassle of customizing an 04 to 06 specs when I would break even at best. I might as well buy a salvage title and do the same to save a few grand.

I appreciate your suggestions and urgency to sell your car, but I would rather "sign n drive" my 06
    Understandable, I have changed hoods and bumpers on cars. I enjoy doing stuff like that but some people dont. If it takes you more than a 1 hour to change a hood your milking the job......lol Same thing with the tail lights and the rear bumper. An afternoon is all it takes for everything mentioned.

Either way.....lol

Nero
    2006 gto

I had the choice of going for a Magnacharged 05 GTO with 45K on it, or a bone stock 06 with 12K on it. I ended up paying about 9 grand more for the 06, but Im glad I did. I know where all the stock parts are (on the car) if I ever decide to sell (I wont). In the end, its YOUR choice.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    I had the choice of going for a Magnacharged 05 GTO with 45K on it, or a bone stock 06 with 12K on it. I ended up paying about 9 grand more for the 06, but Im glad I did. I know where all the stock parts are (on the car) if I ever decide to sell (I wont). In the end, its YOUR choice.
    You must be crazy...9k more? Thats rediculous.

Thread Information