Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Shell (Pennzoil) Race Oil

I know you guys get tired of me and my tribology but I do follow the industry closely. Pennzoil has been developing a high horsepower motor oil that is utilizing esters/synthetics for its base oil versus everybody else using mineral oil for it;s base oils. Of course they filed a patent. Patent Here
    I own patents myself (in technology) and follow the process closely. Looks like the Untied States Patent Office is going to issue the patent.
    Why do I bother you guys with all this? Watch for a really really good synthetic coming from Pennzoil this year.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I'll wait til I see some UOA's, but it sounds pretty exciting if you are getting all riled up about it Keep us updated on it.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know you guys get tired of me and my tribology but I do follow the industry closely. Pennzoil has been developing a high horsepower motor oil that is utilizing esters/synthetics for its base oil versus everybody else using mineral oil for it;s base oils. Of course they filed a patent. Patent Here
    I own patents myself (in technology) and follow the process closely. Looks like the Untied States Patent Office is going to issue the patent.
    Why do I bother you guys with all this? Watch for a really really good synthetic coming from Pennzoil this year.
    I don't get tired of it keep them info comeing how else we suppose to learn I feel
    Lucky to have this info provide to me

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

im a penz fanboy ..i have been looking for a oil filler cap that says Pennzoil instead of mobil one..i have yet to find one

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Scroll down just passed the Dixie Gasoline decal
    1" Pennzoil Decal.
    http://www.weberspump.com/acatalog/P...ROUND_158.html

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Right after i read this I watched a Pennzoil commercial with a g8.. it was a solitice ... hmmm i wonder if pontiac/pennzoil and sarge are "in cahoots"

subscribing to this thread as well

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I run Schaeffers 10-30 in the GTO Motor/Valvoline DexVI in the trannie and RedLine 75-140 in the rear diff. In my truck I am running Pennzoil Platinum in the motor/Valvoline DexVI in the trannie/RedLine 75-90 in the Rear Diff. Mercedes I am running Shaeffers 5-40 in the motor and some German shit in the rest. In my Daughters G6 I am running Shaeffers 5-30 and the rest is factory fill. I recommend PP/Schaeffers/Amsoil and a few others as they are the top dogs. I have no agenda.I get no monetary consideration for any of my recommendations unless you have Health Insurance then I thank you from the bottom of my bank account.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

Sarge - what's your opinion of Castrol Synthetics. I'm using a 10-40, too heavy?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes too heavy TSG! 10-30! Why the 40 weight?
    In my Stroker I tuned the oil/viscosity and found my sweet spot. I have 8 quarts with the cooler and the dual remote (BIG) filters......
    I run 6 quarts Shaeffers 10-30 and 2 quarts Shaeffers 20-50. UOA's are off the hook and motor loves a "thicker" 30 weight. But a 40 weight is too thick for our clearances.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

I don't get her out that often, a cruise on the highway, a good rip and on a monthly basis and (starting in June) there are cruises where I can get caught sitting in traffic. The thought was I'd retain better lubrication properties while sitting. If my thought process is in correct I'll drop it and put 10-30 in...

These cruises culminate with the Woodard Cruise up here. Not sure if you've heard of it. Government Motors throws up a tent.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by The Silver Goat View Post
    I don't get her out that often, a cruise on the highway, a good rip and on a monthly basis and (starting in June) there are cruises where I can get caught sitting in traffic. The thought was I'd retain better lubrication properties while sitting. If my thought process is in correct I'll drop it and put 10-30 in...

These cruises culminate with the Woodard Cruise up here. Not sure if you've heard of it. Government Motors throws up a tent.
    I have been to the Woodward cruise so yup I know exactly what it is.
    40 weight in a tight clearance environment actually raises the oil temp believe it or not! Do you have a oil temp gauge? Oil pressure gauge? How are you determining what various viscosities are doing in your motor? Based on what?
    I appreciate your trying to do the best for your motor. We have to focus on High Temp High Shear numbers much more than just straight viscosities.
    Lubricity is achieved by flow and HT/HS providing a lubrication layer in wear areas. Basic stuff. When your oil is too thick it doesn't get (squeeze) into the tight areas near as well as a lower viscosity thus your not lubricating anymore. Too thin and your HT/HS is not providing a proper film strength and your not lubricating any more. Also keep in mind 30 weights vary from 30,31,32,33,34 so on....and I see better results overall with a slightly thicker 30 weight and a HT/HS of 3.0-3.3 in the 30 weights range.
    HT/HS of Pennzoil Platinum is 3.15
    .............Amsoil 10-30 is 3.2
    .............Schaeffers 10-30 is 3.16
    .............Mobil1 10-30 is 3.14
    This seems to be the "sweet spot" providing proper flow and lubrication.
    To compare here is the 40 weights and the HT/HS of those.
    Mobil1 0-40 3.7
    Amsoil 5-40 3.7
    Shaeffers 15-40 4.3
    Pennzoil Platinum 5-40 3.8
    Too thick to provide proper lubrication in our LSX motors.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Subscribed. As always, good information that will be heeded.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Cool info, I just changed to Mobil1 10-30 last oil change, figured Texas heat is comming and it would work better. Oil pressure is same, don't have temp guage.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Sure I run 100 times at the track each year but how's this new race oil going to be in a DD?

Post Racing Oil

That will be interesting to see how the Racing Pennzoil fairs when it’s released. Until then Amsoil has their Dominator Racing Synthetic that is a top grade Ester/Synthetic formulation for anyone interested in a Racing formulation.

Also, one thing that’s not typically featured in racing oil is detergents. At the end of a race the motor oil in a race car is usually drained out, so racing oil doesn’t require the detergents like those in street oils that run 3,000-miles or longer. However, Amsoil decided they wanted their line of race oil to live in a street engine as well. VOAs show a TBN of around 6.2 in the Dominator Race Oil, so you could probably expect to run this race oil for 3,000-miles or thereabouts on the street. So again, it will be interesting to see if Pennzoil follows suite with their race oil making it compatible for street use as well.

Finally, AMSOIL Dominator® Synthetic 10W-30 Racing Oil (RD30) is up there at 3.6 HT/HS and the Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) is 11.5. This is one of the thicker 30 weights for sure.

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Sure I run 100 times at the track each year but how's this new race oil going to be in a DD?
    Dont know yet. But I love esters based products so we will see.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    That will be interesting to see how the Racing Pennzoil fairs when it’s released. Until then Amsoil has their Dominator Racing Synthetic that is a top grade Ester/Synthetic formulation for anyone interested in a Racing formulation.

Also, one thing that’s not typically featured in racing oil is detergents. At the end of a race the motor oil in a race car is usually drained out, so racing oil doesn’t require the detergents like those in street oils that run 3,000-miles or longer. However, Amsoil decided they wanted their line of race oil to live in a street engine as well. VOAs show a TBN of around 6.2 in the Dominator Race Oil, so you could probably expect to run this race oil for 3,000-miles or thereabouts on the street. So again, it will be interesting to see if Pennzoil follows suite with their race oil making it compatible for street use as well.

Finally, AMSOIL Dominator® Synthetic 10W-30 Racing Oil (RD30) is up there at 3.6 HT/HS and the Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) is 11.5. This is one of the thicker 30 weights for sure.

CompSyn
    Absolutely....The Amsoil Racing Oil is top notch. But not for a street motor as CompSyn points out......I am commenting on the trend to blend with a ester based oil....this gives me a woody.

Post Whops!

Absolutely....The Amsoil Racing Oil is top notch. But not for a street motor as CompSyn points out......I am commenting on the trend to blend with a ester based oil....this gives me a woody.
    Whops! I little misinterpretation there; guess that’s one of the downfalls to purely text communication is getting the lines crossed a bit sometimes.

No! I was attempting to convey that Amsoil Dominator Racing oil IS completely compatible with street car service.

In fact a good colleague of mine ran the 5W-20 version of this racing oil successfully in his 2006 Honda Odyssey van for get this 9,901-miles/6-months. Yep! He’s a wild man indeed!

See the UOA by clicking HERE.

Amsoil Dominator Racing Oil is a racing formulation that IS compatible for street use.

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well then I have massive wood. I missed your point totally but I am old and senile and have excuses out the ass.
    Man I gotta try me some of that. Check out the HT/HS! That is a serious oil to consider. I gotta test this stuff out.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

OK...VOA of the aforementioned 5-20
    LUBE MFR AMSOIL
    LUBE TYPE - GRADE SAE 5W20

CONTAMINANT METALS in PPM:
    iron--------------------1
    chromium-------------0
    nickel------------------0
    aluminum-------------2
    copper-----------------0
    lead--------------------0
    tin----------------------0
    cadmium--------------0
    silver-------------------0
    titanium---------------0
    vanadium-------------0

Other (semi) METALS:
    silicon-----------------8
    sodium----------------1
    potassium-------------1
    MULTI-SOURCE METALS:
    molybdenum---------1
    Antimony-------------0
    Manganese-----------0
    Lithium---------------0
    boron------------------14
    ADDITIVE "METALS":
    magnesium-----------7
    calcium----------------1935
    barium-----------------0
    phosphorus------------1509
    zinc---------------------1676

Water------------- < .1%
    visc 100°C----------------9.2 (Claimed 9.0)
    TBN--------------------6.41
    oxidation-------------- 38
    nitration--------------- 9

Buttload of ZDDP and of course we really cannot see the ester based stuff....I have to go now cuz I cannot see the puter screen anymore as my wood is in the way. I will be testing this stuff. My PC expired CompSyn so I need to renew under you....so I guess I can go to your website and renew my PC and order a couple of cases?

Thread Information