Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nero
    2006 gto

Rear tire hitting fender??

So I just put on a set of TSW 17x8 wheels with 235/45 tires. After seeing the new wheels on, I could notice the rear rotor hats were really rusty, so I jacked up the ass end, took the wheels off, and cleaned/painted the hats. Put the wheels back on, lowered it off the jack stands, and was all set. So later in the evening a friend who weighs around 250 pounds got in the passenger seat, and I started hearing a rubbing noise under hard acceleration and when cornering to the left. It was the rear passenger tire hitting the fender lip. The tire looks fine, but I noticed the car sank about an inch or 1.5 inches when said heavyset friend got in. Theres some crud on the fender,but it doesn't look like the tire is being eaten up at all. Problem is, when fatty got out and I went for a ride solo, it was still slightly doing it. Im gonna remove the spare tire and jack stuff, and my rear seat is empty. My questions are..
    1. Will drag bags solve this problem, or do I need new springs too? The car has 61K on it, original springs.
    2. Could I have screwed up something when I jacked it and put it on stands? Doubtful because Ive done that before with no problems, following the diagram in the jacking points thread.
    3. Is it possible that my springs will resettle and return to the height they used to be at? How high should the top of the tire be from the fender well with all stock setup? (I dont have stock tires, I can convert the answer from stock to my current setup though)
    Thanks for reading and helping.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

My wife has a 2004 GTO with 245/45-18 tires and she has no problems with rubbing at all. I weigh 245 lbs. and we have never had a problem. The car is mostly stock with 53k on the clock. I would put it up in the air and take a look to see what is going on.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Nero
    2006 gto

Ok I jacked it up again and took a look around, nothing was out of place. Shocks were even, springs were seated properly, bushings and joints all looked good. When I brought it back down, it seems to be sitting a little higher than before. I have a 90 mile drive ahead of me to Cape Cod for Mother's Day and no other means of transportation, so Im going to risk it. Thanks for the help ssslp, It may have just been something was pushed out of place when I originally jacked it, and redoing it might have fixed the problem. Regardless, Im ordering a set of drag bags and probably some new springs and shocks this week; roads here in RI are brutal to suspension/wheels/tires/spinal columns.
    And my apologies if you took offense to my heavyset fatty comments, Im 6'1" and I weigh about 125, so as a defense mechanism I call anyone who has a normal weight/height ratio fatty, hahaha. Helps with keeping weight down in the car though...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Get the drag bags and if you want springs on the cheap, Lovell's is your friend. You MIGHT be experiencing the beginning of the dreaded "spring sag".

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Put the drag bags in when it had maybe 2000 on the clock, easy install and inexpensive, and helps with wheel hop, when you have big guys in the back seat makes all the difference, just air it up so it clears.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Ok I jacked it up again and took a look around, nothing was out of place. Shocks were even, springs were seated properly, bushings and joints all looked good. When I brought it back down, it seems to be sitting a little higher than before. I have a 90 mile drive ahead of me to Cape Cod for Mother's Day and no other means of transportation, so Im going to risk it. Thanks for the help ssslp, It may have just been something was pushed out of place when I originally jacked it, and redoing it might have fixed the problem. Regardless, Im ordering a set of drag bags and probably some new springs and shocks this week; roads here in RI are brutal to suspension/wheels/tires/spinal columns.
    And my apologies if you took offense to my heavyset fatty comments, Im 6'1" and I weigh about 125, so as a defense mechanism I call anyone who has a normal weight/height ratio fatty, hahaha. Helps with keeping weight down in the car though...
    Let us know how you make out with the 180 mile round trip. Remember, it aint over till its over.

Nero
    2006 gto

Trip was a success, only had a couple of hits on the drive, mostly when accelerating and hitting a dip in the road, or making a hard left turn. I think taking all the weight out of the back helped a bit, but Im still going to get some drag bags and possibly new springs and shocks. Bringing it in tomorrow for an alignment check too, will update as information becomes available.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I just got the Eibach springs and Bilstein shoucks for my Camaro. They worked out great. Go with the Bags also for your rubbing issue. Hope everything works out well. Good Luck.
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 05-14-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Nero
    2006 gto

Ok so Im looking at some Lovells springs from a website offering them for $218.99 shipped. I dont know if these are what I need, or if its something else, Im going to have the car checked out today or tomorrow. Question is... if I go with stock height springs, will drag bags set for stock springs still work? I've read up on installing the drag bags, and some people say taking the springs out of the car is the easiest way to do it, which leads to my other question... Can I pull and replace the springs myself? Im pretty handy with mechanic stuff, and ridiculously cautious when working near pieces with the potential to shatter my body if I make a mistake. If I can do it myself, what will I need, aside from the standard tools? Im assuming spring compressors for one, anything else? Thanks for all the help guys.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

From what I have read, the bags will work with stock height springs. I have also read that you can install the bags through the gaps in the coils without removing the rear springs.

Nero
    2006 gto

Ok I just went out and bought a prepaid credit card so I can order the springs, and wtf, the only website in the US that is a distributor of Lovell's springs only accepts PayPal (I have no checking account, which apparently is needed) or a Check/Money order. Anyone know of any places that would sell a stock height set of springs?! Im going a little nuts here, it shouldnt be this hard to find some pieces of coiled up metal...damn.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Do they have a phone number?

Nero
    2006 gto

They do have a phone number, but that just led me to a whole new problem. My prepaid card is only valid in the US, and this shop is in Canada. Time to look for a new set of springs somewhere else, damn.

Nero
    2006 gto

Update: Ordered a set of Lovell's 370mm rear springs and a set of BMR drag bags, should have them in by Friday. I found an article in HPP that details the whole installation process, looks like it should take an afternoon to do the new springs with bags!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us posted. With the way our rear suspension is set up, your install should be swift and easy. Just make sure that if you use a lift, use either a support if the car is high up or a floor jack if the car is slightly raised as to support the axles when you remove the rear springs. Safest ways IMO.

Nero
    2006 gto

Thanks for the advice; Im going to be jacking it up and putting it on stands in the driveway most likely. I have a couple of good jacks to use as supports, plus my old set of stock wheels if need be. So excited to have more stuff to do to her, I love working on this car. Im hoping the new springs with the bags in them will give me some higher clearance, even if its just back to stock. I'll keep this updated and throw in a few pics of the install. Hell, maybe Ill start a new thread for the Install Docs sticky...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The bags, alone, should raise the rear. There have been a few stories in GMHTP of goats with factory rear springs with bags and the bags gave the rear a nice lift.

Nero
    2006 gto

Great to hear. I already ordered the new springs, and I dont think Im going to bother installing the d-bags in the old ones since as soon as the new springs come in, Im throwing them in. Just sucks waiting for the springs, especially since I cant really drive until I put them in. I shall continue to update when the springs come and I install them.

Nero
    2006 gto

Um, just a thought, but could me jacking it up and putting the stands at the crossmember bushings have crushed them? I'd hate to throw the new springs and bags in and still have the same problem, so if its possible I think I want to just order the bushings now. Springs still havent shown up, patience is waning...

Nero
    2006 gto

Ok, I was just notified that my springs shipped out today, so at least a week till they get here. Im taking this opportunity to order some other rear suspension pieces, mainly bushings. Im pretty sure I want the EP1145 (Sub-frame connect kit) which looks like the crossmember bushings. Any advice on other pieces? Not trying to break the bank here...

Thread Information