silver
    2004 gto

Rear Susp. Question

How Do I Get My 04's Rear Tires To Wear Even. Seems Like The Insides Are Wearing Out Quicker. Switched To 555drs From Bfg Drs

PBM
    2004 GTO

How many miles on your car? Could need some new springs/struts, bushings etc.

silver
    2004 gto

33,000 both wheels lean in a little.the ride is perfect though.i race twice a week so i do use the tires up a little quick. just wear the insides more

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Spinning the tires. Making the inside expand hence wearing out the inside (want to se a more radical version watch top fuel tires grow when they burn out). Never seen a high hp RWD car that didn't. My Camaro did it new, GTO's doing it now every car that I have seen that can roast the hides does it. I'm pretty sure there is not a real fix. If it was the front that would be different but the rears are due to spinning more than likely.

Black
    2004 GTO

The only thing I can think of is sagging springs (common on new GTO's).

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

camber adjustment bolts might be the answer, IDK.....I noticed it on my 1st set of tires, but I have Drag bags on it now , I'll let you know how it goes
    Brad
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

rednari
    It normal for the inside of the tires to wearout first. Your GTO was set from the factory with negative rear axle camber. This means it is OK for the rear wheels to be canted like this: / \. Negative camber prevents the tire from rolling over in turns thereby keeping the tread square with the street. Circuit and Autocross racers add negative camber to the front spindles too for the same reason.

hugger orange

O.K. lol you all have aswered one more of my questions before I asked it... Again.
    54,000 on my 04 GTO and getting ready for my 3rd set of tires on the back I'm not going to lie, I'm not easy on them, but the inside rears are blad and the outside still has nominal tread. I'm thinking about going up to 275/40/18 to replace my 245's.
    Any comments or advice or better size? I have 9.5 inch wheels on the rear so the rim isn't going to be a problem. I go to the strip once in a great while so I want to hookup, and I play on the twisties, but need tread decent life.
    Thank you guys

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Fucking stock ( Dealer alignment specs are bullshit.....) here...

rednari
    Thats a good spec posting. I was not aware of the stock specs. If the OEM rear axle specs are 1 degree then mark has a problem in two ways. One, 1 degree of neg camber should not wear out tire insides; and two, the rear camber is frozen and thus will require adjusters to correct excessive camber or something is bent or misaligned. That is if he does have a problem. I think cording the insides of three sets of tires in 54m is OK, and for some of us remarkable.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I can tell you first hand that the deathly wheel hop these cars get can Easily knock the rear cradle out of alignment. Either way you need to get a 4 wheel alignment. Changing some of the adjustments aid these cars in drivability also.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

hugger orange

Thanks again guys. I'm hopefully going to get the rear tires in a week or so. this will be the thrird set, lol but like I said I have not been easy on them so the excessive wear wasn't a concern(I've do lots of burn outs lol) , my issue was the uneven wear. I've also got alot of cupping on the inside front so I'm probably going with the frontend bushing kit Sarge did the writeup on, then get the car aligned with the specs above. Hey Sarge, I just flip the large steped washer over to go from standard to sport ride right?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah...when the washer is backwards ( lips facing outward) the contact area is reduced thus giving you a "softer" feel....I have mine the opposite....in other words the washer is totally covering the bushing.....stiff as my Johnson after a 60 day Indian Ocean Ops run

rednari
    Yea, the radius rod bushings should help, but you may also need to think about replacing the front struts, especially if they are originals. The inside wear suggests the correct neg. camber setting, but the cupping suggest a weak, broken, or partially frozen strut. Pedders has the good stuff to fix you up.

hugger orange

All stock suspension parts under her and like I said i've got 53,000 on her so im sure i'm due for a few new parts under it. does anyone make a better than stock strut for our cars that I could through in when I do the bushing upgrade?
    Hey Sarge, I think I have one of my friends talked into buying me a new fuddle 3500 stall for a turbo and blow off valve i've had sitting on the shelf in my garage since I sold my old VW

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Monroe makes struts for the Goats....but dont fuck around....get the Pedders and be good......
    Hell yes....stall will take half a second off your 1/4 mile times....put a trannie cooler on at the same time.

hugger orange

Pedders struts better, got it, I wasn't sure if anyone made better aftermarket ones or not. I already have a nice big tranny cooler 9"x 15" laying on the self for the car.... that little (fuzzy) pipe for a stock cooler never did impress me lol

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Nope....I also installed a spin on remote filter at the same time...all my trannie fluid runs through the filter then on to the cooler and back. Saved my ass when I blew up the stall....you should have seen all the metal fragments the filter caught before it made its way back into the trannie. Saved my trannie for a couple of bucks=good thing.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Thread Information