Thread: rear seat issue

98 Formula
    06 duramax

rear seat issue

Took the kids seats out tonight and got back there and cleaned everything real good and noticed that the seam on the top passenger side seat is busting stitches. I had the drivers side do it right after I bought the car. Anyone else have this issue? I wonder if having the car seats in there is what's causing it although I wouldn't think they would. Check the top of your back seats and check out those stitches up there.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Took the kids seats out tonight and got back there and cleaned everything real good and noticed that the seam on the top passenger side seat is busting stitches. I had the drivers side do it right after I bought the car. Anyone else have this issue? I wonder if having the car seats in there is what's causing it although I wouldn't think they would. Check the top of your back seats and check out those stitches up there.
    Mine started coming apart on the rear passenger side this year. My mother in laws car had that happen down in florida years ago from the sun so I made sure I used leather conditioner evey few months on the stitches so that the heat didn't dry out the stitches... it didn't help. This has been a common issue with our car
    Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 02-26-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Red
    2001 ws6

I was thinking the sun drying it up as well. Window tints? Is your car in the sun often? The sun could be drying em out and the constant strain of the car seat could be pulling it just enough to have them start to bust.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I use conditioner on them and it's in and out of the garage usually...mostly out.

Nero
    2006 gto

SuperChargedBlackGTO and I were talking about this, we both have the same problem; inside top seam on the rear passenger seat (next to--not on--the headrest). I looked it up on google and came up with something about them trying to bond 2 different types of leather together, and it didnt work. Any suggestions on a fix for this? Its kind of ugly, and Im worried the burst will keep expanding.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    SuperChargedBlackGTO and I were talking about this, we both have the same problem; inside top seam on the rear passenger seat (next to--not on--the headrest). I looked it up on google and came up with something about them trying to bond 2 different types of leather together, and it didnt work. Any suggestions on a fix for this? Its kind of ugly, and Im worried the burst will keep expanding.
    my first one got fixed under warranty and the dealership farmed it out to a place here in town. I'm going to take the car down there and see what they'd charge me to take care of it. I wouldn't see that as being an expensive fix because they're just re-stitching it but you never know. My dad always said he got paid for what he knew and not what he did.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Most of you gto guys have that problem expect the emblem on the trunk to fade in time as well. The stitching is not uv resistant so the stiching turns whitish and deteriorates, solution is tint or restitch.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Mine are cracked bad man. I use all the conditioners and stuff on them as well. Took some grey thread and a leather needle till i do the !rear seat mod

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

well ...park in in the garage instead of out in the sun....will check mine lol..one of the first things I done was tint my window,red seats would not look good faded!
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

If it really is an issue I would recommend going by a interior shop and just have them fix it before it gets worse.

I never had any issues with mine even in the desert heat. I also had 20% since day one.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I had a problem with my rear head rests and the back stiching coming apart in my GOAT, but the previous owner didn't know what leather cleaner/conditioner was so the leather was dry. I just took it to a local auto upholstery shop and had them re-stich it and haven't had any issues since. It was relatively cheap too, cost me a grand total of $85. I would recommend looking into that.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7literMustangEater View Post
    I had a problem with my rear head rests and the back stiching coming apart in my GOAT, but the previous owner didn't know what leather cleaner/conditioner was so the leather was dry. I just took it to a local auto upholstery shop and had them re-stich it and haven't had any issues since. It was relatively cheap too, cost me a grand total of $85. I would recommend looking into that.
    Yeah I learned my lesson a LONG time ago to leave that to the pro's!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I just looked up a local place and probably will drop off the top part of the back seat in a week or so. I'm glad it's so easy to take that seat out...like about 30 seconds...if that. lol

Nothing special
    Nothing special

It's not really my seats, per se. But the center pad that goes up and meets two other leather covered pad. On both sides, where the center joins the two uppers, it's split.

The dealer technically classifies it as a wear item.

The back seats of this piece of shit have been sat in twice in the 3.5 years I've owned it. No car seats ever. It sees maybe 1.5 hours of daylight per day at most, as it's garage kept during working hours and at night when I'm home.

I'll take a picture tonight when I get home if I can find out where my 2 year old hid my camera cord.

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Mine hold up fine but then I have limo tint all around and the only back seat passengers are my grandsons occasionally with no/never car seat involved.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Previous owner tinted the rear three windows. I think I have 35%.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think we're look at a quality issue here. My seats are welll cared for so when the stitches start busting I don't think it's a wear problem. I have car seats in there but I don't think they stress the seats enough to cause a problem.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I think we're look at a quality issue here. My seats are welll cared for so when the stitches start busting I don't think it's a wear problem. I have car seats in there but I don't think they stress the seats enough to cause a problem.
    No, it's just he sun and I do think that the only answer is tinting

Thread Information