Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

real world performance upgrades

there's only 2 engines in these things and a few choices in each category of performance. i wanna know who has what brands of parts on their cars and how well they all stack up in the real world? how well do the cold air intakes all perform? are the pacesetter headers worth it since they are much cheaper than kooks? good tune programmers? all the info ya got i want it compiled here for everyone to be able to see who has experience with what parts and how well they are for the hard earned bucks that will be spent on them?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Lets see:
    K&N cold air intake, SLP LoudMouth I cat-back, I dunno what cam I have, Harrop differential cover. The cold air intake, IMO, lets the engine breath at low, mid and upper RPMs. It's like the car wants to keep pulling at high speeds.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

TSP Cam, AEM CAI, Vigilante Stall, Nitto Drags Radials, Pacesetter headers ceramic coated(car not driven in anything but good weather), Hp Tuned. All cams are bout the same quality wise the grind is the difference there. Headers depends on your budget and what weather you drive in, and popular stalls are Yank and Vigilante which i love my Vig.
    2006 IBM GTO A4
    20% sides/rear 35% Windshield,SAP Repos,Ruff 278s Staggered 18s,LT's,Catless mids,Spintech Mufflers/X pipe,Torquer v.2,Vig3200 Stall,HPTuned,AEM CAI,SLP Thermostat,IAT relocate,BMR Drag bags, P4000DVD HU.

2000 TA WS6 NBM A4 Full Bolt-Ons-Gone

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

i live in hot summers, humid weather, and the occasional shower/thunderstorm. i would prefer the pacesetters for the price. the cat backs are kinda up there in price on the goats vs the trans ams i used to have. im wondering what a good cat back with absolute minimal interior drone and a nice rumble outside car would be? i like the dynomax but they dont make em for the gto. heard the k&n intake has some issues. i like them from experience though. just interested in people's own experience with everything so myself and others can get needed info for their parts decisions.

Black
    2004 GTO

i have LT pacesetters(the cheapest), CIA from NEW ERA PERFORMENCE, a REGRIND CAM, 570,580 lift, <--Duration 284-298...um TUNE (HP-TUNERS)., DELETE CATS,...thats pretty much it...Pulled out 347 RWHP, and 336 torque...not bad,...but i did notice i need a STALL.....

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

tried to join ls1gto.com and post this over there for a little extra help. i didnt really pay attention to the search just yet and put it in the lounge since more people cross into that thread. all of a sudden it was like "who let the douchebags out?" as i got the internet police all over me saying wrong thread, search button is your friend and go back to the honda forums. if i cant get any real helpful responses out of 20+ replies then the site is just full of idiots. left em a reply which they'll probably rip me for even more but oh well. they need to grow up over there. all i saw were the same lame ass responses in every thread. makes me believe more and more that this ls1.com is the greatest site to go to for the helpful advice i need. period.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by bandit95 View Post
    tried to join ls1gto.com and post this over there for a little extra help. i didnt really pay attention to the search just yet and put it in the lounge since more people cross into that thread. all of a sudden it was like "who let the douchebags out?" as i got the internet police all over me saying wrong thread, search button is your friend and go back to the honda forums. if i cant get any real helpful responses out of 20+ replies then the site is just full of idiots. left em a reply which they'll probably rip me for even more but oh well. they need to grow up over there. all i saw were the same lame ass responses in every thread. makes me believe more and more that this ls1.com is the greatest site to go to for the helpful advice i need. period.
    STAY AWAY FROM LS1 GTCOUGH!!! I, as well as other GTO owners have come here to keep the peace.

torrid red
    2005 gto

magnaflow catback is the best all around performer. pacesetters are ok but American racing headers 1 7/8 are the best. hp tuners are a good hand held tuner. i always dyno tune mine. a fast 90 or 92 will help the car. lpe cold air intake is very good. stay away from internal mods for now. in a m6 this will get you about 370-380 rwhp

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by jmdgto View Post
    magnaflow catback is the best all around performer. pacesetters are ok but American racing headers 1 7/8 are the best. hp tuners are a good hand held tuner. i always dyno tune mine. a fast 90 or 92 will help the car. lpe cold air intake is very good. stay away from internal mods for now. in a m6 this will get you about 370-380 rwhp
    Magnaflow is not the best all around performer they all perform about the same for GTO's and also HP tuners is an advanced tuning program not a handheld, that would be a Diablosport handheld

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

HPT really wakes up the LS motors IMO.

torrid red
    2005 gto

Quote Originally Posted by bgable View Post
    Magnaflow is not the best all around performer they all perform about the same for GTO's and also HP tuners is an advanced tuning program not a handheld, that would be a Diablosport handheld
    srry about being wrong about the tuner. i always have my dyno tuned. i like my tune done by professionals. i thought he wanted a good sounding catback. magnaflow does this and is a good performer. i guess you have had or reviewed all the possible catback systems out there. listen to bgable he gave you no helpful info on the subject. i have done all kinds of builds on my gto. h/c, procharger and of course bolt on's. thanks for helping the op out.

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

basically what i'm looking for is what everyone here has and what they've tried. and what kind of real world gains did u see from it? i know every manufacturer has their claims to what they sell but i want people to be able to refer to this thread to see what everyone has on their car and how it all worked for each person. what kind of luck can people expect from these parts so everyone has an idea of what works and what doesn't for the money they will spend on each part.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well, I bought my car modded. IMO the tune was the finishing touch. Woke up my car. You can buy a CAI, cat-back, headers and get some results. The tune is what can make all the previous mods REALLY work. It is UP TO YOU to buy the mods/parts you desire. When you install those parts and get the tune, the car will feel like a completely different animal in the end. Parts are parts if ya think about it. Everyone has different companies they have gone with. So opinions and results will vary.

But...GET READY FOR THE FUN!!!

torrid red
    2005 gto

headers 25-30 rwhp with tune. cai around 5 rwhp. some tuners say cai hurt performance. fast 92 intake 15-20 rwhp, . catback with x pipe 10 rwhp. these bolt on's numbers are estimates. work on suspension mods next to put it to the ground. that is the biggest problem we have.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Bolt-ons will not produce numbers that will impress you. They free restrictions and help you put down the most horsepower that your engine already creates but does not "add or gain" power.

If your looking to gain some reasonable power quick then LT's and a cam will give you a nice pick-up.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

If you want some quick HP, nitrous will do it. I don't care or it, but full bolt ons and a tune will surprse you, then go inside.

Quick
    2005 GTO

[QUOTE=bandit95;1913007]basically what i'm looking for is what everyone here has and what they've tried. and what kind of real world gains did u see from it?...
    I love my B&M short shifter, and it is under $300 and a fun half day install...short shifting really makes you feel more connected to the car.

I would agree with JMDGTO about the suspension being the weak link and love my adjustable set up (konis,eibach, hotchkis, and polys.bushings.). Sideways feels controlable now. Not that much stiffer, but I have my GTO as a sunny weekend crusier. Getting 18" w/ good meats was a huge performance gain! I went with yokohamas AD07 and they are like glue. Loosing the skid plate was a cheap mod and the front feels a little less stressed I think.

I would disagree w/ 6.0importeater on bolt ons not creating extra HP and torque. When you modifiy a engine to run more efficaintly w/ extra air/exhaust/fuel, it will deliver more power..

I have a K&N fipk and love the way it sounds feels more responsive and gets better MPGs on the highway with it. (I did not dynoed it).

My spring mods this year are adjustable caster bushings front and rear from Pedders; Harrop reardiff cover, and most definitly a kooksheader/cat/muffler delete setup.

I would love to hear about the new pedder coilovers from someone who got them?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Never said you won't increase the power with bolt-ons. The main misconception people have is you slap on these bolt-ons (headers, cat-back, intake) and you get 50hp.....so not true. You release restrictions thus running better but c'mon horsepower doesn't grow on trees! Your lucky to free up 10-15 "real" wheel power with bolt-ons that cost you over $1K. For less you can throw a cam in and bounce 50 real ponies to those wheels. In my opinion the cam is the quickiest route to power and the bolt-ons will enhance it also.

The route to real power is modifying the engine or boost if you are a homo.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Hey SilverProject, He's a ME and aTroll, so you better listen to him and buy the way he has had his 3 month, I've just had mine over 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HaHA, and you are on the right track.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Retracted due to not being on topic.
    Last edited by 6.0LiterImportEater; 05-05-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Thread Information