Dark Gray 02 Tahoe
    A few too many Lsx's!

Premium or mid-grade?

Just got my GTO a couple of weeks ago. I'm not racing it or anything..and I was wondering if it's imparative that I use Premium or could I get away with mid-grade? I've heard that premium is better if you're racing but if not, then you're just as safe with mid-grade....... I've been using premium..I always have.

Let me know
    Thanks guys!

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

You can run non-reccomended octane but when I did, (when gas was close to $3 a gal.) my mileage went to shit. I then went back to prem. IMO, it's not worth the few cents diff.
    04/A4 Quicksilver
    Magnflow catback-Resonator delete
    K&N drop in
    SAP front Grills and 05 hood
    Limo tinted windows-Gets me pulled over alot
    Diablosport Predator (RWTD) tune.

Dark Gray 02 Tahoe
    A few too many Lsx's!

Quote Originally Posted by GOT1GOAT View Post
    You can run non-reccomended octane but when I did, (when gas was close to $3 a gal.) my mileage went to shit. I then went back to prem. IMO, it's not worth the few cents diff.
    cool. Yeah I've heard you get better gas mileage with Prem...Thank you. I will continue to use prem.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Funny some would say the slightly better mileage isn't worth the extra $0.20. In your stock motor you can run an grade you want but if you can afford a brand new Goat, you should be able to treat it right. Thats feeding it premium.

Dark Gray 02 Tahoe
    A few too many Lsx's!

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Funny some would say the slightly better mileage isn't worth the extra $0.20. In your stock motor you can run an grade you want but if you can afford a brand new Goat, you should be able to treat it right. Thats feeding it premium.
    Very true. Thank you

67 Tempest, click the pic mullenh's Avatar

click avatar
    1967 pontiac

your car has a low octane table in it to run low grade gas when you have to. performance will suffer so will mpg. on a tank of gas you may lose as much as 10% of your fuel efficiency say 30 miles on 15 gallons that would be almost 1.5 gallons at $2.40=$3.60 vs 15 gallons times $.20 (extra) =$3.00 for the high test. So you may actualy lose money trying to save it plus more trips to the pump.

rednari
    Always use the highest octane you can find. I use 87 octane regular but spike it with 10 octane elevator for 97 gas. Car runs great on it. I use Casite which costs about $2.50-3.00 per bottle. So if you do the math you will find that a 14 gallon fill up with premium 92-93 costs 20 cents a gal. more, or about $2.80 per fill up. The same money but you have 97 rocket fuel. Good trade off.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I havnt heard anything good about octane boosters.

rednari
    I do not know what sort of booster other people are using, but Casite works great and makes the motor run smooth as well as providing more power. Some people put the blinders on to certain products. Besides finding, buying and storing racing gasoline, do you know of any otherway to increase octane??

Black
    2006 GTO M6

Just use premium and avoid all the previously mentioned hassles.

rednari
    What premium is higher than 93 ???

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    What premium is higher than 93 ???
    I dont think your making "rocket fuel" as you call it. I am very interested in what kind of booster your running... There are three types. Go get your bottle and read some of the labels. You seem to be misdirected by these "magic pruducts" The same octane booster you are buying from autocrap errr i mean autozone or any store like it, You could be buying at Sherwin Williams. The paint store. Or any body shop. The Product is called Toulene. That is what is PROBALY in your octane "booster" or xylene. There are others that could be in the booster as well. I dont recall of hand. But Toulene is definately the best booster.... i suppose. Do you really think you are getting 97 octane out of 87 octane.???? I sure hope not. AT BEST, you are getting 2 to 3 points from a 12 to 16 once bottle, going for 3 bucks or something. It is not going to give you 10 to 12 higher octane. No way, no how. I just took a visit to Casite's web site... in the middle of typing this. They claim 2 points. Thats 87 to 87.2. Not 97. No way 10 full octane levels.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

pre all the way

rednari
    HIpo perhaps you should read the bottle first. I do not know why you would put toluenol (a paint thinner base) in your car. Casite is made with MMG the standard octane booster used in many gasolines and not paint thinner. Also, CASITE does not have the distinctive smell of toluenol, thus if it contains any, it is a small quantity probably used as an vehicular agent.

Where did you learn or even think to use paint thinner to raise octane (uhg) ??

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

HIpo perhaps you should read the bottle first. I do not know why you would put toluenol (a paint thinner base) in your car. Casite is made with MMG the standard octane booster used in many gasolines and not paint thinner. Also, CASITE does not have the distinctive smell of toluenol, thus if it contains any, it is a small quantity probably used as an vehicular agent.

Guys, it does not matter who is right about the octane boosters. There are some good octane boosters on the market but the bottom line is if you have a nice Goat, SS, WS6, or whatever hi-po car you should run premium fuel. It will perform better, get better fuel mileage and keep your engine and fuel systems cleaner.

Niterydr[U]
    2002 Camaro SS......black
    1995 Z28 Vert........black
    1957 Chevy Pro St...red

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

My LS1 only gets 93 octane Premium fuel. And I only fuel up at reputable name brand stations, like BP, Shell, Mobil, ect. Usually BP though, since they are right down the road and have Premium for 5 cents cheaper on Sundays and Mondays

Dark Gray 02 Tahoe
    A few too many Lsx's!

Cool....well i've been using Premium

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Always use the highest octane you can find. I use 87 octane regular but spike it with 10 octane elevator for 97 gas. Car runs great on it. I use Casite which costs about $2.50-3.00 per bottle. So if you do the math you will find that a 14 gallon fill up with premium 92-93 costs 20 cents a gal. more, or about $2.80 per fill up. The same money but you have 97 rocket fuel. Good trade off.
    Re-read that post and tell me that doesnt sound crazy. You are claiming "rocket fuel" here. 10 octane? If anything we are both way off. But i believe you are further if you think your getting anywhere close to ten octane increase. Only way your doin that is probaly with toulene!! lol... Really, Some older tymers have talked to me about that. Very true Toulene should not be run threw the fuel systems nor valve seats maybe, but there definatetly are people who have run that in gas. What i said was not worded/ corrected... The point is, these octane boosters in MY opinion, are not worth crap. I believe your Casitite called for a 3 to 4 *point* increase( just like everyone else) Thats 87.0 to 87.4 Points do not mean anything. So your paying what? 4 dollars a 12 once bottle for *4* *points*? Hardly seems worth it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
    Guys, it does not matter who is right about the octane boosters. There are some good octane boosters on the market but the bottom line is if you have a nice Goat, SS, WS6, or whatever hi-po car you should run premium fuel. It will perform better, get better fuel mileage and keep your engine and fuel systems cleaner.

Niterydr[U]
    2002 Camaro SS......black
    1995 Z28 Vert........black
    1957 Chevy Pro St...red
    Shiiiit... i dont run nothin but 87 in the GP.

Thread Information