Nero
    2006 gto

Power on a budget

Even with gas prices hittin $4.00 a gallon for 93 over here, the thought of not driving my GTO is enough to make me sick to my stomach. So its time to play the budget-balance game. You know the one...where you choose between pumping gas into your car, or buying parts for it and modding it? Sucks, but not much we can do.

Im looking at the $1500-$2000 range for upgrades to my Goat. Basically all I want out of the car is for it to be faster during daily driving situations. I dont take the car to the drag strip, but I would like to bring it to some local car nights and have a little bit of mods to be proud of. What are some bolt-ons that could achieve my goal? Im not against nitrous, since I cant yet afford a super or turbo kit, and Im planning on getting a tune after the mods are finished, if I can find a reputable shop in Southern New England. Id love to be able to hit or break 450hp and 425tq... if this is even possible with my limited budget.

Thanks in advance for the help, Id be clueless without the fine members of this website

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Even with gas prices hittin $4.00 a gallon for 93 over here, the thought of not driving my GTO is enough to make me sick to my stomach. So its time to play the budget-balance game. You know the one...where you choose between pumping gas into your car, or buying parts for it and modding it? Sucks, but not much we can do.

Im looking at the $1500-$2000 range for upgrades to my Goat. Basically all I want out of the car is for it to be faster during daily driving situations. I dont take the car to the drag strip, but I would like to bring it to some local car nights and have a little bit of mods to be proud of. What are some bolt-ons that could achieve my goal? Im not against nitrous, since I cant yet afford a super or turbo kit, and Im planning on getting a tune after the mods are finished, if I can find a reputable shop in Southern New England. Id love to be able to hit or break 450hp and 425tq... if this is even possible with my limited budget.

Thanks in advance for the help, Id be clueless without the fine members of this website
    sofar I've got pacesetter lt's 3" true dual exhaust, slp maf, custom 4" cai, p&p tb, tune, and I'm getting well over 20 mpg.... just by letting the stock motor breath better will give you noticably more power and be better on gas...if you can keep your right foot off of the floor lol and trust me the sweet exhaust note its hard to do

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Cam/Headers/Tune.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well I would start off by ordering a fuel pump from LPE.
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/l710660504.html

You need those little billet nipples for it to work properly.
    Then I would do the drill mod to your bucket.
    While doing that you need to replace the feed line that goes from the tank to the fuel line running down the frame. As it is kinked from the factory and causes a restriction. They use a hard type plastic that once you kink it remembers............

If your still on a stock shitty shifter that should be replaced also.
    This is my favorite so far. It works amazing and has many adjustments for your own feel.
    http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...er-p-3177.html

At the very least I would replace the handle to shorting the throw.
    http://www.jhp.com.au/monaro-gto/gto-short-shift.php

Then I would buy a good nitrous kit that is a wet plate design that goes behind the throttle body. The choices are vast on brands and packages.
    I would include the Hobbs pressure switch for the fuel side. I would also do a window switch if your new to the whole nitrous button and shifting deal.
    Don't know where you are located so a bottle heater might be useful too.

I would put in a set of AR-94 Autolite plugs at time of nitrous install gapped @ .038.

With even street tires if you can get the driving part down you will easily have a low 12 second car. On drag radials and 150 shot it should go mid to low 11's all day. That would be with just some free flowing mufflers and a tune.

The LS2 has the most free flowing manifolds GM has come up with. So they aren't anywhere near as restrictive as most think. I was going 11.teens with my 05 Auto car with STOCK manifolds,STOCK converter,and STOCK cam.
    I'm not saying you won't gain power by adding a tuned header but I'm not big on cheapy headers. In my experience they are more of a pain than they are worth. There is some quality headers out there that I like but they will take most of your budget.

Are you still on a stock tune now?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Nero
    2006 gto

Still 100% stock. Only thing thats happened to the car is a water-pump replacement at 20K (about 1,000 miles ago). I am new to nitrous; except in videogames, which means nothing lol. Im in New England, so yeah, Id definitely have a bottle warmer(heater?).

As for the manifolds on the LS2, are you talking of exhaust AND intake? Im guessing a new CAI wouldnt hurt the wallet too bad, unless you think its unnecessary,

So my first step should be the fuel pump?? And by bucket, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about... Im guessing thats the gas tank...

And as for the tune, once I get all these other parts in there, can a DiabloSport or other tuner be custom tailored to my specific application? Id really like to do as much of this myself as possible, to save on labor costs. (another reason Im looking for semi-simple add-ons)

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well yes since you are completely stock I would start with these 2 first.

I would go with a Volant CAI kit.

Then I would remove the resonator or pre muffler and have a pair of the 3" Spin Tech Pro Street mufflers.

Yes you could do the modifying of the tune with a Diablo. It won't be as much or as good as a custom tune from a good tuner but it will still be safe and better than what you have now. You can usually find one on Ebay for around $300. It would also help you learn by playing around with it. You can get one and use it for a year and then sell it and still get a easy $200 out of it.

So that being said those 3 mods will make a world of difference to you.

I would do these and go from there. It will aid in your driving by changing that shifter.

Thread Information