Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please dont hate me,but

I need to be pointed in the right direction. Im sure there are billions of post about headers but Im kind of confused. I have an 04 gto and I want to spend my extra money from school on either mid pipes/headers or mid pipes/diablo sport tuner. Ive seen people talking about some headers arent tuned?? What would you guys do?? And is it super hard to install headers?? and will the off road mid pipes yield more hp?? Im pretty clueless, and I figure I would be better off asking people that more than likely already have these mods done than just going by what the product description says.

Thanks a ton guys

Lavi

98 Formula
    06 duramax

first of all I'd say use your money for...wait for it....wait for it......school. but if you just have to mod your car I would mod it for the future and not necessarily this moment in time. What are your end goals for the car? If you plan on doing a cam or some other heavier mods down the road then a hand held tuner isn't the greatest investment but if you buy one used you can probably get most of your money back when you sell it down the road. In order to get the full benefits of headers you'll need a tune and if you get offroad mids you're going to need a tune anyhow to turn off the rear o2's. If you get a handheld make sure it has the ability to do that because I think diablo took that option away on it's hand helds.
    If the only 2 options I had were the 2 you posted I would probably go mids/tuner but I would probably be more inclined to save a little more money and go headers/mids/tune.

haha. Its left over from school. I used my grant and g.i bill to pay for this semester so im just trying to blow it on the car. I do plan on getting a cam. Would you go with a O/R midpipe or high flow mid pipe??

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's a trick question. Do you want to be legal or not is the trick answer? You'll make more power by going catless but the car won't be legal. I would suggest reading as much as you can about everything and then making well informed decisions regardless of what people on the boards tell you. There are just so many choices to make and so many factors to consider that you can't really go by what someone else tells you.
    Is your car a stick or auto car?

Its a stick. Im not too worried about being legal.

IBM
    04 GTO

Hey PM CamaroFan71 he has a pair for a damn good price used is just as good as new.
    Last edited by derbs; 01-05-2010 at 10:34 AM.

I saw those. Im trying to figure out if i wanna go with headers right now or mids and tuner.Heads would open it up more than the tuner/mids, wouldnt it??

IBM
    04 GTO

you'll be very happy with a pair of long tubes trust me lol

ok, i just pm'd him to see if he was interested in selling em to me. Will long tubes make it sound more aggressive??

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by laviente View Post
    ok, i just pm'd him to see if he was interested in selling em to me. Will long tubes make it sound more aggressive??

IBM
    04 GTO

Yes sir and with the price hes selling them for you can't beat it.

you will love the sound and the performance from a pair of long tubes.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

hell long tubes on a stock catback even impressed me, but im SPINTECH all the way now, and dont think there is a better sounding exhaust, just my opinion though!.

Now, GET some longtubes and a cai, and a tune. youll love your car till you can afford more. dont try to do to much at once, trust me, youll get overwhelmed quickly. just take your time, and read, read read read read. youll learn a shit ton!> enjoy that goat, its a classic now

Haha. Spintech all the way is right!!!! I have the CAI with the side exhaust from spintech and I love it more than any other exhaust on a gto in my area. (except for my buddies, but he has a cam with full exhaust)

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

I did long tubes and stacked a set of spark plug de-foulers for the rear O2's. I have driven about 4k mi. with no engine lights or anything. It has saved me a tune for now. I am gonna be doing a cam so I didnt wanna tune it now just to have to do it later.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's a trick question. Do you want to be legal or not is the trick answer? You'll make more power by going catless but the car won't be legal. I would suggest reading as much as you can about everything and then making well informed decisions regardless of what people on the boards tell you. There are just so many choices to make and so many factors to consider that you can't really go by what someone else tells you.
    Is your car a stick or auto car?
    Good advice...couldn't have worded it better myself.

Barbados Blue
    GTO 04 A4

Long tubes are nice but consider these issues. 1. There a pain to install and you will loose cats (never know where life will take you next...mabe cali where catless dont fly) 2. you loose ground clearence so be reddy to scrub. 3. there is more drone in cabin with long tubes so for daily driver it can get old. Whit that said many sneer at shorties but they do perform and if you go catless or with an option you dont have with long tubes is hi flo cats they give good gains with only a 3 to 7 hp diffrence. Shorty's are a hell of alot easyer to install. will pass inspections and can be had for less than most longtubes. Last of all unless your car is modded so that it requires better breathing the gains from any hedder/exaust work is minimal at best. What ever you choose get what makes you happy and enjoy

IBM
    04 GTO

I've never had any issues with ground clearance on stock bolts if it's lowered just watch where you drive. Drone is all about your set up You can also run cats with long tubes if you want also lil custom work and your good.

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by mulebiscuit View Post
    Long tubes are nice but consider these issues. 1. There a pain to install and you will loose cats (never know where life will take you next...mabe cali where catless dont fly) 2. you loose ground clearence so be reddy to scrub. 3. there is more drone in cabin with long tubes so for daily driver it can get old. Whit that said many sneer at shorties but they do perform and if you go catless or with an option you dont have with long tubes is hi flo cats they give good gains with only a 3 to 7 hp diffrence. Shorty's are a hell of alot easyer to install. will pass inspections and can be had for less than most longtubes. Last of all unless your car is modded so that it requires better breathing the gains from any hedder/exaust work is minimal at best. What ever you choose get what makes you happy and enjoy
    ok buddy.....before you give advice know what your talking about, long tubes has nothing to do with if you have cats or not, thats your y-pipe.....second, to install shorties is the same as installing long tubes, my kooks LT's went in no problems, 3rd, minimal gains? with LT's/exhaust and a tune you can pick up more than 35 RWHP.........

Torrid Red
    2004 GTO

I have a 04 and I had put flowmaster super 44s on with stock manifolds and cats. I got a set of LT w/catless mids. I put them on by myself in my backyard on a set of ramps. It took me about 8-9 hrs. Would have been less if I would have just loosened the damn PS lines on the rack. Anyway it went from a mild mannered sound to sounding like a nascar at WOT. Don't get shorties if you don't have to.

Thread Information