Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

Ok serious LS1 vs LS2 question....sorta

I've had the Ls1 Goat for about a year now and I've loved it so far but...I'm thinking about trading it for a 05 06 Goat with the Ls2. Only mods have been a drop in K&N filter and straight pipes. I have a Ripshifter on hand but I don't want to install it if I decide on a Ls2. I've had people say they much prefer the Ls1 (the cable throttle a big plus) vs the Ls2 (the obvious displacement and hp increase). Is it really worth the hassle?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

it will cost you more money to trade than it would to bump up the power with the car you already have. So if you want to keep it stock then go for it but quite frankly spending 3g's on buying and installing heads and cam would be a much better investment than trading for an ls2 car what would the cost in difference be?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No. Hell No.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm going to go against the grain and say that if given the opportunity I would swap for an 06 since my car is relatively stock. Better base to start with than the LS1. I'd have to think about it a little bit but I really like the fact you can use L92 heads on the bigger bore which flow like gang busters and are cheap compared to LS1 heads that flow even close to them. There's an old saying "there's no replacement for displacement." If you're light on mods I would do it but if you're heavily modded I wouldn't.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that if given the opportunity I would swap for an 06 since my car is relatively stock. Better base to start with than the LS1. I'd have to think about it a little bit but I really like the fact you can use L92 heads on the bigger bore which flow like gang busters and are cheap compared to LS1 heads that flow even close to them. There's an old saying "there's no replacement for displacement." If you're light on mods I would do it but if you're heavily modded I wouldn't.
    oh what do you know?!

Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

I have heard as well that the LS2 has a problem with leaking oil. Also a bit concerned with GM retiring the engine after 2 years. I think I'll stick with my LS1 unless I hear some good arguments other than a slight more displacement and slightly more horses and torque resulting from. I think a refined Generation 3 is better than a newb generation 4 from the posts and information I've read. I'm also a newb but give me some arguments and reasons why I should think otherwise.

Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

Also with a cable throttle I feel like I have more control over the engine with a quicker reaction time from the engine. Maybe this is mental but once again, give me some input on why I should think otherwise.

What about just getting a built LQ9 block?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    What about just getting a built LQ9 block?
    We have a winner. Same cost and eat a LS1/LS2's ass for lunch. Last longer to boot.

Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

How about a built LQ9 is really nothing more than a joke compared to either a fully built LS1 or maybe a LS2. Save your money and spend it on your LS engine rather than wasting your time screwing around with a LQ9.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

What do you think an LQ9 is anyway? Just an iron block LSX. Gives you more to play with than a aluminum block.

rednari
    The LQ9 and the LSX blocks are iron. That allows you to build a motor with a block that can withstand more power without twisting or breaking. If weight is a problem then, for higher HP applications, you must add an engine girdle to an aluminum block or get a costly CR5 block so the block does not fail at high output.

It has been said, the LSX block can withstand 2000 HP as delivered from GMPP without reinforcement. Hope this helps.

Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be rude. I apologize to Sarge if he took it that way. He's given and I've taken more good advice from him than all the other sites I've been to combined. I wish I had the cash to switch my LS1 for a LQ9 but thats not in the cards for me. I would like to get in the 500 rwhp range and I'm done. I have to drive my car about a mile to work and back everyday, so as a everyday driver I don't think anything more than that is streetable.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No offense taken at all....hell gearheads have their own form of communications and some of it can be construed as pissed off
    500HP is very doable....but I guarantee ( N02 the exception) you'll spend as much getting a LS1 there versus just building a stroker motor.

Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

Sorry Sarge if I hit you with some ignorant questions, I'm still just a newb. So I could buy an LQ9 block and stroke it and build it from there for cheaper than making 500hp with my stock LS1 motor? Is this including a motor swap?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup.

Ripshifting

Black
    2004 GTO

Wow, I just went to Texas Speed and built a nice stroker LQ9 block and...I can't believe the price. Now to convince the wifey... Sarge you have any good ideas on this?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Just saw this thread. I too would much rather have the LQ9/LQ4 over the LS2. This motor WILL be stroked in the future.

Some weight penalty yes, but it depends on what your plans are.

I know im the guy that suggested the LQ9, but ive seen latley some stock block LS2s making BIG power with boost. At what point do you have to forge an LS2 motor? Ive seen 800 RWHP on a local guys non forged LS2. I think theres a guy on Ls1GTO.com named Firefly that had like 1100 RWHP and i THINK he wasnt forged either.

So at what point do you have to forge an LS2s internals?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    I know im the guy that suggested the LQ9, but ive seen latley some stock block LS2s making BIG power with boost. At what point do you have to forge an LS2 motor? Ive seen 800 RWHP on a local guys non forged LS2. I think theres a guy on Ls1GTO.com named Firefly that had like 1100 RWHP and i THINK he wasnt forged either.

So at what point do you have to forge an LS2s internals?
    I'm guessing the longevity on those 800hp and up isn't very long.

Thread Information