Thread: Oil pump R&R ?

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Oil pump R&R ?

Since I'm new to the GTO/LS1 design vs. my old tech vette/Gen I smallblock (which I'm well versed in.) I was wondering if I can change out my oil pump for an upgraded SLP version with the engine still in the car? Or does the oil pan have to come off? And what pitfalls should I be aware of.

I'm thinking of putting in a hotter cam with a new timing chain set, so I figure I might as well put a better oil pump in while I'm at it. The car has 45k on it now.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Haven't tried it in a GTO yet but in general the pan does not have to come off just drop down just a little bit (could only drop it 1/4 inch max in a Camaro due to the K member) to remove the oil pickup tube bolt. I'm sure it was more a pain in the Camaro than it will be in the goat. Biggest pain was the pickup tube bolt. There is not much room to work with and you do not want to drop the bolt in the pan. Other than that fairly easy on an LS engine its right in front. A small racheting wrench and a fairly strong extending magnet should do ya.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Thanks for the info slims.
    It doesn't sound like it's too bad of job to do. The oil pickup tube to pump clearance had me wondering if I could sneak the bolt out of there without taken the oilpan out.
    04 Cosmos Purple M6, SAP Grills & Spoiler, '05 Hood, Procharger, TrickFlow 515 HP H/C Kit, SLP LT Headers/LM II, '05 Big Red Brake upgrade, Drag bags, Holden CV8R wheels, GMM Ripshifter. Tuned by New Era: 515 rwhp/471 ft.lbs. Retuned by J&J Speed: Speed Density tuned 586rwhp/ 492 ft.lbs.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Ya that is the biggest pain in the whole thing. If your careful though its not to bad. I didn't even remove the oilpan bolts just backed them all down to give just that little bit of clearance needed to put a wrench on it.

Thread Information