Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Oil life indicator?

Does anyone know if the oil life indicator system actually measures the quality of the oil as opposed to a simple mileage counting system? Basically I'm asking, if I change the oil and reset the system, will it simply alarm me once I have reached a certain number of miles, lets say 6500, vs. a system that truly measures the quality of the oil (viscosity, clarity) and will tell me to change the oil once it senses that the oil is actually dirty?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge05 View Post
    Does anyone know if the oil life indicator system actually measures the quality of the oil as opposed to a simple mileage counting system? Basically I'm asking, if I change the oil and reset the system, will it simply alarm me once I have reached a certain number of miles, lets say 6500, vs. a system that truly measures the quality of the oil (viscosity, clarity) and will tell me to change the oil once it senses that the oil is actually dirty?
    No it does'nt test/measure the oil for quality.. Most of them also go by engine revolutions not mileage.. The sensor/ecm does'nt know the difference between dirty/clean and the light will come on until it is manually reset.. Your ecm is simply not that complex..

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    No it does'nt test/measure the oil for quality.. Most of them also go by engine revolutions not mileage.. The sensor/ecm does'nt know the difference between dirty/clean and the light will come on until it is manually reset.. Your ecm is simply not that complex..
    The ECM can easily handle an oil quality sensor, it is much more complex then you might imagine. The question is whether or not there really is a sensor or does the system just base the oil change indicator on # of RPMs or time, etc.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge05 View Post
    The ECM can easily handle an oil quality sensor, it is much more complex then you might imagine. The question is whether or not there really is a sensor or does the system just base the oil change indicator on # of RPMs or time, etc.
    Trust me what triggers your light is NOT that complex.. You asked a question I gave the answer..

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

This might help some. There is no oil sensor that detects its condition in your case. It is calulated from many different factors.

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...145efa6b30.pdf
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    This might help some. There is no oil sensor that detects its condition in your case. It is calulated from many different factors.

All rendered useless the moment your're driving and don't stop the very second the light comes on to change the oil and reset the light.. If you wait only 1 mile more after changing the oil to reset the light then it is no longer caliburated.. = BS, useless system and hence no complexity.. Change the oil, reset the indicator, call it a day..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-22-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post

Thanks Hi-po, the document nicely explains the system and it makes sense. There is a complex algorithm in the ECm that accounts for mileage, rpms, temp, time, humidity. I'm getting close to needing an oil change so I was wondering about the system and when it might go off. I drive mainly hwy so that is probably why I am going to be north of 7000 miles between changes.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

All rendered useless the moment your're driving and don't stop the very second the light comes on to change the oil and reset the light.. If you wait only 1 mile more after changing the oil to reset the light then it is no longer caliburated.. = BS, useless system and hence no complexity.. Change the oil, reset the indicator, call it a day..
    I cant understand what your trying to say here, but I guess I can understand the last sentence

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Agreed, really just a bunch of nonsense... Some advanced oil monitoring systems actually check the quality of the oil by running it thru a true oil sensor, ours do not. But then again our cars weren't $55k BMWs, Lexus, or Caddys...
    The system in our cars has validity because it is basing the change recommendation on real world conditions that are tallied in the ECM, fair enough.

Most people change their oil much too often anyway; with the advancements in oil technology (additives etc) and filtration technology, one can easily go 10k plus on an oil change if they are using synthetics, which all of us should be.

Thread Information