Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil change

Oil change

How in the hell do you guys change the oil on your gtos? I looked under there the other day and saw this massive dayum skidplate.

TIA,
    Brett

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Take it off and throw on a shelf in the garage.
    Also do your motor a favor and put qaulity oil and NOT a POS filter. I would put a AMSOIL filter on it myself. Second choice would be a WIX Gold from Napa. And third would be a K&N.
    NEVER A FRAM!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Take it off and throw on a shelf in the garage.
    Also do your motor a favor and put qaulity oil and NOT a POS filter. I would put a AMSOIL filter on it myself. Second choice would be a WIX Gold from Napa. And third would be a K&N.
    NEVER A FRAM!!!
    Great! That's exactly what I needed to know about that skidplate.

I've always had excellent service out of AC Delco oil filters. I use them exclusively on my trucks (all hi-mileage) and my 74 big-block corvette. However, if I find myself in O'Reilly's, i'll usually pick up a WIX.

Thanks!
    Brett

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Unless you're going to replace it with an aftermarket (lighter and a little pricey) like one from BMR, You are best advised to keep it on for the protection that it provides.
    As far as changing your oil - You take 3 bolts out and loosen rear pass. side enough to pivot it back out of your way.
    The stock plate is heavy @15lbs (feels heavier) and the aftermarket ones are @ 6 - 9lbs.

Does the oil pan hang especially low or something???
    2004 GTO A4
    1994 Surburban
    1983 Chevy K10 diesel

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by GOT1GOAT View Post
    Unless you're going to replace it with an aftermarket (lighter and a little pricey) like one from BMR, You are best advised to keep it on for the protection that it provides.
    As far as changing your oil - You take 3 bolts out and loosen rear pass. side enough to pivot it back out of your way.
    The stock plate is heavy @15lbs (feels heavier) and the aftermarket ones are @ 6 - 9lbs.
    Remove 10 lbs. from the nose of your car with a BMR aluminum skid guard. Laser cut and CNC formed from .160" aluminum, our guard weighs 5.75 lbs. compared to 15 lbs. for the stock steel guard. Easy 15 minute installation.

Black Metallic on Black
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6

Just got the car.....second one..and when the oil change comes I was thiking of getting some thinner sheet metal from Ace or Home depot and cut it with the dremel rotary tool then mold it like the original one and put that on instead. That way it will be ligher and for a cheap price....

The aluminum one is nice but too expensive...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by chris190 View Post
    Just got the car.....second one..and when the oil change comes I was thiking of getting some thinner sheet metal from Ace or Home depot and cut it with the dremel rotary tool then mold it like the original one and put that on instead. That way it will be ligher and for a cheap price....

Yeah I have seen many homemade ones in the past.

Nero
    2006 gto

Good idea with the sheetmetal Chris. Personally I just ordered one of these...
    http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...OD&ProdID=1381

When it comes in, ill weigh it against the factory skidplate and repost.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Good idea with the sheetmetal Chris. Personally I just ordered one of these...
    http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...OD&ProdID=1381

When it comes in, ill weigh it against the factory skidplate and repost.
    They really you on the price! WOW I hope you can sit down alright tomorrow!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

well the pan is kinda vulnerable where it sits.. I wouldn't run with out something there... Not worth the weight savings versus the amount of money you'd have to pay to replace the oil pan...

Black Metallic on Black
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    They really you on the price! WOW I hope you can sit down alright tomorrow!

I saw the same one for $179.99 at pfyc.com ..... It's nice cause it's lighter but man... for that money when you thinking you getting a couple of aluminum tubes welded toghether...it feels like a screwey deal......but if the money is available hey ...by all means...

The only thing that I'm worried with the skid plate is road debris....and unless it's like a big huge rock that would not clear the bottom then I would not worry and I think that thinner sheet metal would do just fine......
    and if you go over a big object like that chances are that object will probably take out other stuff or bend the exaust or something....

with speed bumps and inclined driveways I think everyone should be able to judge the height and kinda adjust the speed in order to avoid damage to oil pan and other parts.........

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Mine has been off since day one. I wasn't worried about the weight. It traps a ton of heat. You can feel the difference when the fans come on. With it on, you don't feel any air coming from the engine compartment. With it off, you can feel it sitting in the car with your hand near the mirror.

Having said that, I'll probably throw it back on after 3.5 years being off. Its my wife's daily driver now and it'll give a little more protection and piece of mind. Might even throw a aftermarket one on.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

whether it's the stock piece or an aftermarket piece I would keep something on there. An aluminum pan won't dent....it'll crack. Replacing a pan wouldn't be fun and it wouldn't be cheap if you took it to a shop, not worth the risks IMO.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

why do you guys have skid plates there??? i know nothng about gto's

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Cuz your exposed the way the engine is placed in these cars....the pan is out in front and low as hell.....

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Quote Originally Posted by chris190 View Post

I wouldn't go too thin on the sheetmetal Chris. Trust me, I was in a construction zone and had to drive in a wide Pot hole ( wider than my car) and as soon as the front wheels went back up to the asphalt, my skid plate hit soo hard that it bounced the car back up. When I looked at my plate, It had 3 deep gouges in it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, it's just not worth it for no more weight than you're gaining. Buy at least an aftermarket one or make one that's similar thickness.

Brazen Orange
    2006 6.0

Since we're on the subject I'm going to throw this question out there. I know its says to use "mobil one" 5w30 full syn in these sexy beasts, has anybody used any other brands? I was told that GM and Mobil were kinda together in this and thats why they say that in the owners manual. Any thoughts?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 06goat60 View Post
    Since we're on the subject I'm going to throw this question out there. I know its says to use "mobil one" 5w30 full syn in these sexy beasts, has anybody used any other brands? I was told that GM and Mobil were kinda together in this and thats why they say that in the owners manual. Any thoughts?
    Redline and Amsoil in mine at all times!!
    There are alot better oils out there than Mobil1 !!
    Do a couple different worded searches in our tool bar and you'll find pages and pages. We have went over this and debated shit for weeks about oil.

Just ask Sarge........

Thread Information