Thread: nitrous

silver
    2004 gto

nitrous

ok im thinking about a 100 shot of nitrous and i was wondering if i would need a tune if i would get a 100 shot? does anyone no? and is it pretty safe with the ls1? i heard from lots of ppl its ok well just making sure.

thanks
    2004 GTO silver/red int.
    SLP Loudmouth I Exhaust
    Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Headers
    3" Mid pipes (no Cats)
    K&N CAI
    SLP Heavy Duty Sway Bar SLP Sway Bar Bushings
    GMM Ripshift
    125 shot of nitrous HSW
    nittos D/Rs 555R
    Hp Tune 13.03 @ 109 mph (without nitrous, GMM Ripshift, and Nittos)

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes if it's a 100 shot wet kit go all at it. Just don't put 87 in it and let the bottle pressure go sky high and leaning it out. I have done MANY LS cars with agressive tune for ALL motor and ran a 100 shot with good gas for years.
    You get what you pay for.
    Buy quality and keep it for years of fun!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Phantom Black
    2004 GTO

Hello,
    I am a new guy but I just had all this stuff done and yes it is safe as long as you have a good tune. I had Vector motor sports do mine and use the juice all the time. I have been told as long as it is installed and tuned with plenty of fuel so you don't lean it out it will be fine.

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

I am thinking of installing nitrous kit myself, i never installed one before but i am mechanically inclined. Can someone w/o experience of installing nitrous kit before install one ? What brand is a good quality ?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Get a tune...and lower your spark plugs a heat range....you'll be fine....

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

Can u tell me what brand spark plug & where i can buy one? I saw a iridum spark plug on e bay. Would that do?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by jinouk67 View Post
    I am thinking of installing nitrous kit myself, i never installed one before but i am mechanically inclined. Can someone w/o experience of installing nitrous kit before install one ? What brand is a good quality ?
    I would recommend a NX plug and play MAF kit for you. Yes you can install it yourself. They stand behind there product like no other and there R&D is outstanding.
    http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/gm_1pc_massair.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by jinouk67 View Post
    Can u tell me what brand spark plug & where i can buy one? I saw a iridum spark plug on e bay. Would that do?
    I would stay away from the iridium plugs with the bottle. I would recommend running a race style plug that is made for the extreme cyl. pressure conditions.
    Run a AutoLite AR94. You should be able to get them at a Napa or CarQwest for right around $3-3.50 each. Stay away from Summit or Jegs they rape you at 4.99 each.
    I would also not run the gap at anymore than .038.

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

Thanks for the link & spark plug info.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

AutoLite's are good....I like the NGK TR6's for nitrous GTO's....gapped at .40..
    either one will do you well....

Silver / Red
    2005 GTO

Nitrous

I run TR6X's @ .35 with a Magnuson Blower and Nitrous and an MTI tune here in Houston; doing fine!

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

How much is the tr6x's ? Where can I buy one ?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

whats the best octane to run with nitrous? same as u run without nitrous? or would it be better to go up or down in octane

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    whats the best octane to run with nitrous? same as u run without nitrous? or would it be better to go up or down in octane
    It all depends on your compression ratio and how much bottle.
    Sunco makes a fuel called Max Nos that is designed specifically for HIGH pressures that is a 118 octane and it's VERY heavy so it helps cool.

Silver / Red
    2005 GTO

Nitrous

You can buy the TR6X's (they likely will have to order from one of their warehouse locations as the X means Iridium - about $3.99 - $4.99 each) at any Auto Zone or O'Reilly Parts Store, or, you can quite often buy directly from the nitrous dealer (Nitrous Outlet or Nitrous Express on-line as example) as they are a highly recommended plug for nitrous application. Mind you, I have a blower so I have to run colder plugs anyway and the Iridium helps me too with extreme heat and pressure. You do not have to go Iridium however and the standard TR6's should suffice for you.

I have a Nitrous Outlet throttle plate system (the plate was specially machined to fit my Maggie blower intake while not forcing me to change hoods - but, I did ever-so-teensy-weensy rub the fuel inlet fitting with the hood brace on the driver side - which we've since machined away)

To the other question, I always run with 93 octane (available in TX) and on occasion throw in a booster from the parts store.
    Last edited by 05 Silver/Red A4 GTO; 09-12-2007 at 05:13 AM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Silver/Red A4 GTO View Post
    You can buy the TR6X's (they likely will have to order from one of their warehouse locations as the X means Iridium - about $3.99 - $4.99 each) at any Auto Zone or O'Reilly Parts Store, or, you can quite often buy directly from the nitrous dealer (Nitrous Outlet or Nitrous Express on-line as example) as they are a highly recommended plug for nitrous application. Mind you, I have a blower so I have to run colder plugs anyway and the Iridium helps me too with extreme heat and pressure. You do not have to go Iridium however and the standard TR6's should suffice for you.

I have a Nitrous Outlet throttle plate system (the plate was specially machined to fit my Maggie blower intake while not forcing me to change hoods - but, I did ever-so-teensy-weensy rub the fuel inlet fitting with the hood brace on the driver side - which we've since machined away)

To the other question, I always run with 93 octane (available in TX) and on occasion throw in a booster from the parts store.
    Advanced Auto Parts carrys the NGK Tr6 I run them all the time they are around $2.each and carry a 2yr warrantee.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

IBM
    2005 GTO

buy a wet kit from nitrous outlet & get it tuned. cheaper than buying a new motor

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

i ran a nitrous express 100 shot wet kit with ngk tr7 gapped at .035 with absolutley no problems at all. always used 93 or 94 octane in the tank. 04 auto car, zero problems at all. i never had any gauges in the car at that point so i couldnt tell you what my afr was or what jet it was. but i did runs and shut her down instantly and checked the plugs. never any issues. hope this helps.

Thread Information