Thread: Newbie

impulse blue
    2004 GTO

I'm new to the forum but have been driving GTOs since 1967. My first was a 66 three dueces and a four speed goat that I traded in 1968 for a new goat I ordered from the factory. I got drafted right after that and when I got home from Viet Nam I started racing motorcycles to get my thrills. When I turned 40 I got back into Pontiacs again and have owned old GTOs along with a couple of Trans Ams and even a Can Am. My current rides are a 64 Catalina, a 68 GTO and my daily driver is an 04 GTO.
    My front end man told me last week as he was inspecting my car while putting two new rear tires on it, imagine that, that I needed a new wheel bearing on the front drivers side. He tried to sell me one for $360. Does Pedders are some other supplier sell them cheaper than that?
    The new GTOs don't get much respect on the other Pontiac forums but I don't pay much attention to that. They are fine cars and fast as hell. I don't don't drive as hard as I used to but it's nice to know I could out run 98% of the cars on the road if I wanted to.

hugger orange

hey welcome to the site! sounds like you've had a 40 some years lol I used to have (and miss) a 67 Catalina convertible.....big car and big fun. I've never needed a wheel bearing/front hub for mine so I don't know about prices or where else you could pick one up, but hopefully someone on here will know

IBM
    04 GTO

IBM best color go the GTO only cuz I own one also hahaha I'd just check your local parts store or even summit for those.

impulse blue
    2004 GTO

The biggest difference in forty years are the tires and brakes. GTOs have always had plenty of power. Try hooking that up with 14x6 wheels are trying to stop with non power drum brakes.
    My 04 is an A4 and just hooks up and goes. It's only got light mods, a K&N filter charger and a cat back pipe so I'm leaving it stock. At the rate these cars are being totaled out there won't be many left in 20 years.

hugger orange

a4 here too. if you do ever decice to mod it, go with a 3,600-3,800 stall, and have your Torque Management turned down/off.....that will liven it up a lot, trust me .

I know what you mean, there are fewer and fewer of these cars every day

IBM
    04 GTO

With the TQ Management Please only go 50% other wise youll be getting a new tranny unless you have a built one these 4l060E are turds when it comes too mods or even stock I went smoked 3 in my z28 and it was a performabuilt trans YUNK!!!!! hahaha

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by tigercars View Post
    I'm new to the forum but have been driving GTOs since 1967. My first was a 66 three dueces and a four speed goat that I traded in 1968 for a new goat I ordered from the factory. I got drafted right after that and when I got home from Viet Nam I started racing motorcycles to get my thrills. When I turned 40 I got back into Pontiacs again and have owned old GTOs along with a couple of Trans Ams and even a Can Am. My current rides are a 64 Catalina, a 68 GTO and my daily driver is an 04 GTO.
    My front end man told me last week as he was inspecting my car while putting two new rear tires on it, imagine that, that I needed a new wheel bearing on the front drivers side. He tried to sell me one for $360. Does Pedders are some other supplier sell them cheaper than that?
    The new GTOs don't get much respect on the other Pontiac forums but I don't pay much attention to that. They are fine cars and fast as hell. I don't don't drive as hard as I used to but it's nice to know I could out run 98% of the cars on the road if I wanted to.
    welcome ,the new GTO is nothing like the older ones.some things change some get better.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

to your original question....the bearings are not servicable. You have to swap out the whole hub and they are expensive. Ebay has them for $94

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

My first was a 65 GTO...389 triple deuces.....but your still a kid too me if you only got started in 67
    Welcome to the forum.....

impulse blue
    2004 GTO

Thanks Orion, I found them.
    Sarge, if you are older than me I guess you subscribe to the notion that old age and treachery with defeat youth and skill.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Oh hell yes.....

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Any pics of the Catalina? Love me some 59-mid 60's full size Pontiacs. Gorgeous cars

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by tigercars View Post
    Thanks Orion, I found them.
    Sarge, if you are older than me I guess you subscribe to the notion that old age and treachery with defeat youth and skill.
    yes....he has that saying tattoo'd on his lower back.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yes....he has that saying tattoo'd on his lower back.
    Sarge has a tramp stamp..

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    that visual picture is just wrong lol

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    yes...except he's so old and wrinkly that it hangs down behind his knees now.

Thread Information