Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

New tool arrived today

My Kent Moore rear x-member alignment tool arrived today. $370 shipped.

I wanted to check my alignment of the original x-member before I swapped in the new x-member. Needless to say it was off a little.

Your probably wondering why the hell I'm swapping out x-members. Well the PO drove the GTO thru 3 winters here and the road salt did it's thing to the suspension components back there. So me being anal. I wanted one rust free. So I found a complete '04 x-member on ebay. I mean complete, rotor to rotor, diff and all. It had about 5 or 6k on it, price was $147, cost me 6 hrs. round trip of my time and $40 in gas to get it.

So tonight I put the Pedders x-member mount bushings in, poly diff mount and a new set of drag bags in. And of course aligned the x-member.

I'm curious though. Would it be illegal to make a copy of this tool for resale. It looks pretty simple to duplicate. Plus it would be way cheaper.
    04 Cosmos Purple M6, SAP Grills & Spoiler, '05 Hood, Procharger, TrickFlow 515 HP H/C Kit, SLP LT Headers/LM II, '05 Big Red Brake upgrade, Drag bags, Holden CV8R wheels, GMM Ripshifter. Tuned by New Era: 515 rwhp/471 ft.lbs. Retuned by J&J Speed: Speed Density tuned 586rwhp/ 492 ft.lbs.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I don't think it would be illegal. Aren't the tools for our cars already discontinued?

Nero
    2006 gto

Im not too sure about the legality of copying a tool, but I wouldnt think it would matter. If you're really concerned, make a small meaningless change in the design, like a box handle instead of a round one, or something stupid like that. It worked for Vanilla Ice when he stole the beat from Under Pressure...
    Anyone without a gun and a knife and a handkerchief and a chapstick get the F%$# out of here!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Mich's04 View Post
    My Kent Moore rear x-member alignment tool arrived today. $370 shipped.

I wanted to check my alignment of the original x-member before I swapped in the new x-member. Needless to say it was off a little.

Your probably wondering why the hell I'm swapping out x-members. Well the PO drove the GTO thru 3 winters here and the road salt did it's thing to the suspension components back there. So me being anal. I wanted one rust free. So I found a complete '04 x-member on ebay. I mean complete, rotor to rotor, diff and all. It had about 5 or 6k on it, price was $147, cost me 6 hrs. round trip of my time and $40 in gas to get it.

So tonight I put the Pedders x-member mount bushings in, poly diff mount and a new set of drag bags in. And of course aligned the x-member.

I'm curious though. Would it be illegal to make a copy of this tool for resale. It looks pretty simple to duplicate. Plus it would be way cheaper.
    Sarge is the guy to ask about that. I forget the reason but you can make simple tools like that because they can't patent a simple tool or something. An example would be a 1/2" open end wrench.
    Now if it had unique properties I'm sure there would be patent on it but probably only on the name I would guess. Example of that would be a gear wrench. Many people make that style of wrench but only 1 can make a "gear wrench". Like I say, if I'm full of it Sarge will tell me in the morning but that was my understanding of it.
    Last edited by 0rion; 10-22-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Ok, we'll wait for Sarge to chime in.

I went to the local Pontiac dealer awhile back to see if they were interested in selling off some of their GTO specialty tools. Of course the answer was no, and they said, we will continue to service Pontiacs well into the future. So I figured just to bite the bullet and buy it. Lot of $$ for 7.25 lbs. of metal square stock.

Don't be a dumb ass Damage Inc.'s Avatar

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

I'm not Sarge but, I would think that there is some type of patent on the tool. So if you make one to sell you need to change it a little. Have you checked to see if someone like "SK" or "Matco" makes one? They may only be available down under.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Thanks for the input so far.

The other question is, would there be any demand out there for this tool? I can't see a ton of people messing with their rear x-members enough to justify buying one. Any thoughts on this?

Don't be a dumb ass Damage Inc.'s Avatar

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

Probably not.

phantom black
    2006 GTO

yea i want one, i could share w/ other GTO gearhaeds

phantom black
    2006 GTO

Cool

hey can you post a pic of this tool with dimensions

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If you just lay their tool out and copy it exactly they could possibly have a intellectual property infringement case against you. But all you have to do is change one or two aspects/dimensions of your tool and your good. I doubt there is much of a market frankly to justify your effort.

phantom black
    2006 GTO

hey is this alignment tool for the purpose of aligning the rear tires ? I mean toe in and out or is this some thing else? can it be used for front end alignment?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Cradle alignment.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Thanks for the insite. Maybe in the near future I'll make a copy for myself and just sell this one or rent it out. I don't need any legal problems.

pocket rocket,
    When I get some time I'll pm you the dimensions and pics. I'm in the middle of another home improvement project. The Miss's wants her new Master F*** Pad, er I mean bedroom completed by Thanksgiving.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mich's04 View Post
    The Miss's wants her new Master F*** Pad, er I mean bedroom completed by Thanksgiving.
    Don't forget the mirrors on the ceiling. I like to watch us while she's on me and you're at work.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Don't forget the mirrors on the ceiling. I like to watch us while she's on me and you're at work.
    Mirrors, camera, action!
    Make me an exciting f*** flick while I'm at work. Oh and leave a 20 on the night stand. I'll need to get a case of beer while I watch. Or shall I get a 40 ouncer since it shouldn't take you to long.

Thread Information