Impulse blue
    2005 pontiac gto

new gto a dream? or a real come back?

thoughts on a new gto for 2008 or 2009 what would you want it to have or what do u think its going to have personally i would like to see it with a solid axle and a LS7 cuz rumor has it that pontiac is going to be the #1 in gm's line of performance again so ford and all other competitors better step up their game 2.well guys this is like my 2nd post so dont be so harsh on me ok....GTO--FO---LIFE

Quicksilver Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Man, you're too optimistic. That's a teenager's dream. The next generation Holden Monaro (made in Australia) is going to look great. Based on the latest Commodore SS, Holden will continue to keep their styling conservative, bold, and non-retro (definitely un-American). So, if Pontiac decides to follow their tradition of slighly re-skinning the Monaro to be a GTO, then all of us would make out great. But, remember, we're a minority. There are thousands of stupid Americans out there who think that outrageous retro styling is the way to go--and that's what they'll want to buy. Therefore, I say there's a better chance of the next gen GTO being ugly as shit, being built in Canada, and (just like every other North American GM car) having a cheap-quality interior. If you want to guarantee yourself an awesome car, then go import a next-gen HSV Monaro from Australia. That's what I'm doing.
    ORIGINAL OWNER. DAILY DRIVEN. FOREVER.

2015 Deep Black Pearl DSG GTI. For My Wife.
    2006 Quicksilver Metallic M6 GTO. Holden Hybrid.
    2002 Sunset Orange Metallic A4 Z28. 1SC-Stripper.

Impulse blue
    2005 pontiac gto

alright if ur going to tell me that i have optimistic dreams thats ok, but the gto aint for looks i can tell u that right now do u think in the 60's they wanted the thing to look like a rolls royce i dont think so they wanted a mid size car with a monster 389-455 thing was ur everyday driver on the week day and ur race car on the weekend and thats kinda how it is today if u ask me people all day long dog on my gto cuz it looks like a grand prix and a caviler, but thats not the point, im ok with the thing bein made in australia bout time they actually have a nice car from there even the vl's and utes, etc... but i made this thread to get people positive feed back on what they wanted in the new gto the commmodore shame nobody wants a 4 door ok if u got a family that good u can fit 4 full size in a gto 2. 362hp in the thing omg they detuned the thing what 2 many people gettin hurt in the 400hp version... thats another thing to i all the manual gto's i have seen that were LS2'S have been wrecked what are they too powerfull or just sombody who dont know how to drive....well i hope yall understand this post

Just as long as it doesn't look like a bloated Cavalier.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I owned/drove/raced my 65 GTO long before most on this board were even born. My 04 Goat would blow that old thing away. Froze your ass off in the winter and melted in the summer. Gawd dayum gas leaked all over everywhere...rebuilt carbs damn near every weekend...couldnt keep 2nd gear in any of em for longer than a month....but the AM radio and single speaker in the front dash was the balls.....
    Now I have double/triple the RWHP...sink in leather seats...surround sound 6 CD blasting away.....retro...bullshit...retro is for those that didnt own and work on the car they are trying to look like...no thanks....
    And I do not want my new digital super duper TV to look like my 1965 RCA TV.
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    And I do not want my new digital super duper TV to look like my 1965 RCA TV.
    HAHAHAHAHA that's good shit.

yeah, if GM won't do a firebird, atleast us pontiac guys will have a bad ass goat to gloat about

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

I don't know, if they could modernize the stacked headlights and make it look good, I'd buy a retro looking new GTO, then have the judge as option package with 4.33s out back, solid rear axle, and an LS-7, of course this will never happen, so I think I'll like it either way, pontiac traditionally has had good styling and I think it'll look good to most, if they build it
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

Red with Silver Graphics
    02 35th SS Camaro Ragtop

I still like my 66 GTO & it hasn't snarled & bit the 02 Camaro it is forced to share garage space with. Don't know which one would cross the 1/4tr first, both work good. LS1 works great, but it sure dosen't have that WOT TriPower howl.

red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Im sorry to say but I think GM is gonna can the Goat. Last I read in Hot Rod was there gonna maybe pick up the Firebird or the Trans Am. I wonder then If my 04 is a classic now.

Quicksilver Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by little red gto View Post
    Im sorry to say but I think GM is gonna can the Goat. Last I read in Hot Rod was there gonna maybe pick up the Firebird or the Trans Am. I wonder then If my 04 is a classic now.
    You were right. According to Wikipedia, GM always planned 2006 to be the last model year for the GTO even before the 2004 models were released.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

And with the demise of Pontiac...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm holding onto mine for as long as I can. My 04 always keeps me smiling and happy no matter how bad my day has been.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

We are considered Orphans now..

We looked at 06's back in about 2007 when they were barely a year old and test drove a couple of them. Liked the interior, but the outside not so much. We still considered them but at a year old they were still a bit too pricey for something that really didn't catch my eye. Kind of glad we didn't buy one now that Pontiac is gone. Makes me wonder what the future holds for parts availability if you want to keep one on the road for the next 20 years.

Funny now my father has mentioned finding an 06 to tool around in after he moves out here. So it looks like I'll be working on one anyway, lol.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I would have loved to see one with a more squared design like the G8 instead of the rounded look...much more aggressive look imo.

Navy Blue Metallic

When they first came out I was not a fan. My Commander had one and she gave me a lift to a meeting. She took it off base afterwards and showed me just how nice they were. Her husband had a Chevelle and this was all hers. I have to say I started liking them after. If between a 5th Gen and a 05/06' GTO I lean very much to the GTO.

Cars I like to have.

Pre 90's

50's step side Chevy Pick Up
    70's GTO
    78/79 Trans Am
    86 Buick Grand National
    86 Monte Carlo
    1st Gen Camaro
    1st Gen Firebird

90's <
    02 Firehawk (I'd leave it unmolested)
    05/06 GTO
    CTS-V (V8)
    CTS-V Superwagon
    SS
    C6/7 Vette

Only concern FBJ I would have would be body panels and interior. With such a limited production run it will be hard to get replacements unless someone like YearOne or OPG makes an effort to supply them. I think this is why they have kept their value as high as it's been.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

Only concern FBJ I would have would be body panels and interior. With such a limited production run it will be hard to get replacements unless someone like YearOne or OPG makes an effort to supply them. I think this is why they have kept their value as high as it's been.
    Yep that worries me, it might take several years before the aftermarket picks it up though, probably after they see alot of demand....IF they do.

What I've been told around here is that some of the mechanicals are also a concern, especially anything that is related to the IRS, it comes from over seas and there is sometimes a wait on parts.

So yeah, alot of that stuff is a concern for me. I won't be owning one but my father is seriously looking around. They want a new SS camaro too but prices are just too high for elderly retired folk, and they don't want a car payment (and I don't blame them, I don't want one either and I'm younger )

Navy Blue Metallic

Is the IRS on the GTO sourced with on other vehicle?

I've heard guys doing a solid axle swap for track but that's quite invasive and defeats the purpose for something to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Is the IRS on the GTO sourced with on other vehicle?
    Now that I'm not sure. Being a Holden chassis made in Australia it seems doubtfull. Plus the fact that a couple owners told me their car was down 2-3 weeks waiting on parts has me thinking that there is nothing over here that shares what ever IRS parts they were looking for (I don't know the details of the repairs)

I would have thought that maybe the G8 or the CTS-V would share alot of IRS parts, I just don't know.

Thread Information