Thread: LS1 Mods?

Black
    2004 GTO

LS1 Mods?

2004 bone stock. working towards Maggie and Cam but need some help with initial mods that won't be deleted when Maggie arrives. any help appreciated. thnx.

Black
    2004 GTO

just need to know where to start the mod process? bout 1k to start. looking for some advice on how to start. should I wait to do the headers once I get the cam or does it matter. but initially to get started I was thinking of K&N air filter first but just need a lil direction. thnx in advance guys
    Last edited by GhOAsTs; 02-07-2010 at 04:04 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Cold air intake and a cat-back system to start with. There are numerous options on intakes and exhaust systems. You can check out our sponsors to get prices and help you on your way to MOD.

Black
    2004 GTO

thnx man. heard alot of peeps talk up the cat back systems. will start there. appreciate the advice.

hugger orange

yup get a good free flowing exhaust to start. you could also look into a cam that will compliment the maggie and give you more power now. i'd do some suspension work to start out with (poly bushings, brakes and springs) to help your car handle the extra power

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    yup get a good free flowing exhaust to start. you could also look into a cam that will compliment the maggie and give you more power now. i'd do some suspension work to start out with (poly bushings, brakes and springs) to help your car handle the extra power
    thats the kind of advice I need, appreciate the input. are there specific types of poly bushings and springs that you prefer?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by GhOAsTs View Post
    thats the kind of advice I need, appreciate the input. are there specific types of poly bushings and springs that you prefer?
    I went with Pedders adjustable poly radius rod bushings and Energy Suspension poly everything else.
    put in Eibach 1.2" sport drop springs in mine.....the stock rear springs were sagging so bad that the new springs raised the back of the car about 3/4" lol

is your car a manual or automatic? if it an auto i'd add a stall (3,500-4,000 rpm) and a tranny cooler. a stall makes it feel like a completely different car and really wakes it up

Black
    2004 GTO

I went with Pedders adjustable poly radius rod bushings and Energy Suspension poly everything else.
    put in Eibach 1.2" sport drop springs in mine.....the stock rear springs were sagging so bad that the new springs raised the back of the car about 3/4" lol

is your car a manual or automatic? if it an auto i'd add a stall (3,500-4,000 rpm) and a tranny cooler. a stall makes it feel like a completely different car and really wakes it up
    its a stick. i know it will need an upgraded clutch before mag and cam are in, also what about brace supports, i've seen the one for the engine compartment but are their other supports for the car i need as well?

hugger orange

its a stick. i know it will need an upgraded clutch before mag and cam are in, also what about brace supports, i've seen the one for the engine compartment but are their other supports for the car i need as well?
    If you really want to stiffen the car up, get a set of sub frame connectors, solid or poly mounts, and a torque Stiffy (small shock that goes from the front of the motor to the strut tower.

I'm running home made solid mounts and love them

Black
    2004 GTO

If you really want to stiffen the car up, get a set of sub frame connectors, solid or poly mounts, and a torque Stiffy (small shock that goes from the front of the motor to the strut tower.

I'm running home made solid mounts and love them
    thanks for the help. been searching all morn. for best deals.

hugger orange

thanks for the help. been searching all morn. for best deals.
    If you have access to a welder, drill press, and a few other tools you can easily make your own subframe connectors... Just be sure when in stalling them you have the car jacked up with the weight of the car on the front and rear hubs so the SFCs do not hold the car in a twist when you sit it back down on the ground

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

If you have access to a welder, drill press, and a few other tools you can easily make your own subframe connectors... Just be sure when in stalling them you have the car jacked up with the weight of the car on the front and rear hubs so the SFCs do not hold the car in a twist when you sit it back down on the ground
    Mark, do you by any chance have the specs on what you used and how you made the SFC? I have the Stiffy and like it a lot, really tell the diference, good mod for any GTO. Thank's in advance, Jack

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    Mark, do you by any chance have the specs on what you used and how you made the SFC? I have the Stiffy and like it a lot, really tell the diference, good mod for any GTO. Thank's in advance, Jack
    Its on the project list still lol. I picked up 1 1/4" square tube and 1/4" plate steel. I'll get sizes, demensions and pics when I build them

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Its on the project list still lol. I picked up 1 1/4" square tube and 1/4" plate steel. I'll get sizes, demensions and pics when I build them
    Cool deal. Jack

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

thnx man. heard alot of peeps talk up the cat back systems. will start there. appreciate the advice.
    Don't. Get LTs first. They will give you an increase in performance and make your OEM catback sound better. If you go for just the catback you'll get loud but you won't get power.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Don't. Get LTs first. They will give you an increase in performance and make your OEM catback sound better. If you go for just the catback you'll get loud but you won't get power.
    Hey checkout my bigger better faster thread...I'm comming for ya man! Lol I can't wait to fire it up

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree. I know 2 guys with 05 and 06 GTOs with LTs and the stock cat back. Both cars sound as loud, if not louder than mine with an SLP LM1 cat back.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Hey checkout my bigger better faster thread...I'm comming for ya man! Lol I can't wait to fire it up
    With some new mods I'll be shooting for 10s NA this year on the stock bottom.

hugger orange

With some new mods I'll be shooting for 10s NA this year on the stock bottom.
    sweet

black
    1996 firebird formula

ok i need some help im a noob and dont know how to start a new thread so my bad i just want to know if i can pull out a lt1 motor and replace it with a ls1 will there be any troubles i might have as far as everything hooking up and running right with the sensors and all and the ecm any feed back is appreciated

Thread Information