Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Lets talk starters

you first.
    Nah I think mine is getting tired. I see rebuilt ones.....are there any MSD hi torque starters mebbe? I think this will also work but not sure....
    http://www.s10v8.com/store/product_i...products_id/63
    I'm just getting started looking for starters

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would wonder why that one is so cheap.... the stock starters are some torque monsters to begin with. I wouldn't worry about the lack of torque.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I may be heat soaking.....I'll have to double check the grounding strap between the block and the frame....just dawned on me....it came loose one time awhile back and made it crank slower when hot ( resistance and all that).......HHHmmmmmmmm...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can also either buy or fab up a heat shield for the starter if heat becomes an issue. You throw a set of LT's down there and that starter does take a beating. The f-bodies are the same way. In order to fit those headers in there they run awful close to the starter. Look and see if you put a heat shield in there and that should prolong the life for a while. MSD's that I've found are all in the $250-$280 range and even a duralast is $250.....makes me wonder why this one is $90.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah the starter is wrapped with heat shield.....but the wires get hotter than hell or if you have a shitty ground a starter will do the slow crank when hot also.....guess i gotta get my XXXL ass under there and see.....Seems hard to believe the old girl is five years old....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yeah the starter is wrapped with heat shield.....but the wires get hotter than hell or if you have a shitty ground a starter will do the slow crank when hot also.....guess i gotta get my XXXL ass under there and see.....Seems hard to believe the old girl is five years old....
    might be 5 years old but you get under there and look around and you'll be surprised at how well a car holds up when you take care of them. 3 out of 4 or our cars look almost new under there because I take care of my stuff. My truck is the exception. It's a 97 and has to stay parked outside and the ground moisture has just killed that thing from being parked on gravel all the time. It's a hunting and work truck though (if I worked )....it's covered in mud most of the time anyhow. My firebird is a 98 and looks great underneath. Clean your grounds up and wrap those wires and you should be good to go. Like I say, my 98's starter has been sucking hot headers for several years and is fine. I say that and it'll go out this year at the worst possible time.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Sarge just have it rebuilt if the ground does not do the trick,hell mine has a big crack in i where it bolts up to the block,just waiting for the day mine lets loose maybe i can tig it,or swap it out on the nose cone.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    Sarge just have it rebuilt if the ground does not do the trick,hell mine has a big crack in i where it bolts up to the block,just waiting for the day mine lets loose maybe i can tig it,or swap it out on the nose cone.
    is your starter cracked or that mounting ear? If it's that mounting ear on the block that's bad news waiting to happen. There was someone on here last year or year before last maybe that sucked some water into the motor and when he tried to start it the starter broke that ear off the block.....can you say torque??

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

starter out on nose cone inbetween the bolts NOT the block,the next time when its off ill have it replaced,Nose cone that it starter woirks fine.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Thread Information