Thread: k&n cai

Red
    04 GTO

Smile k&n cai

What u guys think about k&n cai, will be getting one tomorrow, my goat is stock will b the first thing I'm replacing

04 Gto

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

I wouldn't. something about too expensive andnot enough filtration. Bette options out there just my. 02
    2005 Impulse Blue GTO
    Kooks Longtube Headers (off-road mids) , SLP Loudmouth II Catback, Vararam OTRCAI, MSD Spark Wires, 238/242 .595, Trickflow 225cc Heads, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Breather, Elite Engineering Catch Can, 3200 TC,Hayden Trans Cooler, P&P TB, Dyno tune by Sunshine Performance

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

There are a few options, just depends on how much money you're willing to spend.

K&N
    Volant
    SvedeSpeed
    DuSpeed(VERY expensive, Australian made) but VERY good.

Red
    04 GTO

Thanx guys I end up getting a used k&n didn't pay full price so its good saved a lot of $$ can deff feel the difference, next upgrade headers and exhaust

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

You'll want to pick up a can of CRC Spray MAF cleaner and make cleaning the MAF part of your maintenance routine. Excess oil from the filter can accumulate on the wires in the MAF which allows dirt and debris to stick to them. This acts to insulate the wires which throws off the MAF's calibration and results in it misreporting airflow to the PCM. Down the road, invest in a dry style nanofiber air filter, such as an Amsoil Ea filter. K&N, or any of the oiled cotton gauze filters for that matter, simply allow too much dirt to pass into the engine.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Prior to install, wrap the filter in newspaper to soak up the excess filter oil.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

I would have told you to get a "lid", smooth bellows, a high quality dry filter and clean your MAF before reassembly. As stated above, the K&N is not the greatest in filtration and the oily filtered air can cause MAF problems. Anyway, that's the drill I followed and most definitely felt the difference. Each to his own.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Red
    04 GTO

Thank you all for the info, im definitely taking it apart again to clean my MAF and what happens if I don't put oil on the filter????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just keep your filter lightly oiled.....you can buy a "cleaning" kit at any parts store usually to clean them. Just give yourself several hours so you can let the filter dry properly. I normally remove large debris first with an old paint brush, spray their cleaner on it letting it sit for 15 minutes or so, wash it out with a garden hose, and then put it in the sun for a while to air dry. After it's dry I give it a light dusting with the oil and let that sit for a while before installing the filter. Been doing it that way for 10 years with no issues.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. If you do not oil the filter, its ability to trap dirt and debris is adversely affected. They are not designed to be run dry.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

i have ran a k&n system on my 04 gto since i bought it. i have never had to say clean my maf because of oil and dirt on the wires. each and everytime i clean my filter, which is every time i change my oil. the complete intake and maf is dry right up to the throttle body. and no dirt in there either. k&n has been good to me! now for the one's downing the k&n system. have you personally had a bad experience with the system or just hear say kind of thing.
    The reason i ask is there are instructions on the oil bottle that tells you how much to put on. and it tells you not to over coat the cotton fibers. do it right and no problems will come up. do it wrong by not reading and yes you can have problem's come up from the excessive oil on the filter. My gto has nearly 110000 miles on it. bought it off the show room floor with the k&n system on it. so if anyone knows how good they are i do.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My car came with the K&N and I lightly oil mine. Never found any oil in the throttlebody. One or two passes of oil over each pleat and I'm good.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I have the K&N FIPK on mine and never had a problem with it. I've never cleaned my MAF either.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

you should never have to clean the maf wires. but if for some reason you do, be very careful. just by rubbing the wires can throw off your tune. and spraying cleaner on them will leave a film and will make the maf not read the air right. if you want to get rid of the maf you will need to get a speed density tune. there is a box that replaces the maf. but it is tuned, and you will be stuck with what is programmed in it. the tuner will program in the fuel mileage, and that is what you are going to get. but the good side is you can get close to 30 hp from a speed density tune. and the car will perform better with one.
    I am getting tired of my maf causeing my idle to surge after i have been on the hiway to an

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

As long as you use an electrical cleaner, such as CRC MAF cleaner, it will not leave any film on the wires. The cleaner was designed to specifically clean the MAF. Also, you should NEVER touch the wires. They are very delicate and can easily break.

There is a reason K&N makes more power, it allows more air in, and doing so means MORE debris is coming through into the engine. That's just physics. There are several tests showing the results between K&N and other name-brand filters and how well they keep out debris and other harmful elements. Amsoil has a video on their site about filtering.

I am not dissing the K&N filter, but there are better filters out there if filtering elements out of your engine is your main concern, which in my opinion, should be. Ones that you don't need to use oil every time you clean them, and that are also cheaper. Amsoil filters are reusable and cleaned with nothing more than a shop vac is an example.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

i agree that there are better! Varram i think it is is a expensive setup that works very well. Me and my son both run the k&n system. and as long as the oil is put on properly, no dirt will get thru the cotton fibers. I have ran my system for 111000 miles now. and not one time have i ever seen any dirt, grime, or any debris inside my maf or throttle body. and for the 6 yrs i have driven on dirt roads all around where i live. Even when it is time to change the oil nothing is there.

Junior Member 04gtochevynovaguy's Avatar

torrid red
    2004 GTO

You could keep the stock filter box and run a drop in k&n with a hsv/jhp maf pipe like I did on my 04, works well for me.

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

Well I have over oiled my k&n before. I have used the maf air cleaner to clean excess oil off a few miles after putting the filter back in and suffered no effects or found no dirt anywhere. The k&n filters have done good by me and even after 5000 miles they are very dirty so they work well. I bet you won't find as much dirt on a paper filter after that long.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Just put a K&N CAI system on my wifes mostly stock 04 GTO and it looks, sounds and works great. The K&N dyno sheet says 18.5 HP but I think that may be a bit optimistic. Great unit for 218.00 NIB
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information