Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    09 G8 GT

Thumbs up Just picked up an 04!

I'm excited~been here since '05, I used to have an 01 Maxima and I joined back then to post on some kill stories threads about nissans/infinitis. So much info here...where do I start? Just picked up an 04 Goat, 6 speed 55k miles Torrid red w/ an '05 hood, tint and flowmasters. Love it so far, only things I've noticed is the trans is fairly audible at low speeds, like 1st-2nd-3rd going less than 30, I can hear the geartrain whirring. Plus the center console is quite warm, is that cause the T56 is right under it? Anything else I should know especially, or watch out for? Thanks in advance for any help, for some reason I couldnt start a thread in the "intro's" section.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Awesome. Two things.

Change your car title and wipe the maxipad car off, add your GTO!

Pictures.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Enjoy the new ride. Yea lets see some pics.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The T56 does whine and get warm. At least mine does anyway. Enjoy.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

White
    09 G8 GT

Ok I've looked around on ls1gto.com and there are a lot of comments on the trans-not so much complaints but noticing that its notchy, tough to shift, etc. Its def not the easiest manual I've driven but obviously a trans rated for 385 ft/lbs is gonna feel different than a FWD 4 cyl...as long as the gear whirring/whining doesn't mean the fluid is burnt or synchros are going.

What else did I have a question on....oh where can I get a .Pdf owners manual? This didn't come w/ one...everything seems fairly self-explanatory(this is my 4th GM, 2nd pontiac) but I just like to have it. Pics and info change to come.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

Here is a link for the owners manual. Good luck and have fun with the new car! Just be careful!

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...to/2004gto.pdf
    Last edited by Cosmos366; 03-29-2009 at 09:41 AM.

White
    09 G8 GT

Definitely being careful.......compared to my Ion Redline this thing needs a LOT of room if I'm gonna open it up. What else....oh tires! This came with pretty good condition (85-90% tread) Dunlop Direzzas, are these decent tires for this car? What do you guys run? I'm def. gonna need snow tires in Oct or Nov(this is my DD)

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74 View Post
    I'm excited~been here since '05, I used to have an 01 Maxima and I joined back then to post on some kill stories threads about nissans/infinitis. So much info here...where do I start? Just picked up an 04 Goat, 6 speed 55k miles Torrid red w/ an '05 hood, tint and flowmasters. Love it so far, only things I've noticed is the trans is fairly audible at low speeds, like 1st-2nd-3rd going less than 30, I can hear the geartrain whirring. Plus the center console is quite warm, is that cause the T56 is right under it? Anything else I should know especially, or watch out for? Thanks in advance for any help, for some reason I couldnt start a thread in the "intro's" section.
    congrats, i picked up my 04 PBM about 2 months ago. its been a blast. im already bored though and have already purchased a t70 turbo for her. oh yeah congrats. hope you enjoy it

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos366 View Post
    Here is a link for the owners manual. Good luck and have fun with the new car! Just be careful!

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...to/2004gto.pdf
    hows it going man. just gotta say ever since i saw your car in person, i been very particular about my car. yours looks so damn clean man. good work. Shafft625

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree on the need for lots of room to open our cars up. I love it.

White
    09 G8 GT

Hmmm interesting.....bought it out of state, got it inspected today and it failed for outer tie rods. it passed the "dealer inspection" of course but failed the NYS Safety...go figure. They'll be fixing it though. It was on a lift and the lug nuts were tight but there was def. play top to bottom on the front two tires. I didnt take photos yet so heres some from dealer stock:

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sounds like front wheel bearings. No biggie. I am ing on that paint scheme. I like!

White
    09 G8 GT

haha thanks...I just signed papers, the previous owner did everything I've only been looking for a little while but there's a lot of stuff online as far as parts and mods and changing appearance! Couple questions: first, where to start? I'm not gonna do anything prob over $200 for a few months but from looking around on pfyc and exoticperformanceplus theres some stuff I'd like to get.

Also, how hard is this car to work on? I had the 01 maxima before, then an 06 redline-did f&r brakes a few times on both cars, changed my own oil, did the transaxle fluid and changed plugs on the Max, installed head units(cleanly) and woofers(not so clean haha but they worked) many times, and I have basic tools (socket set, torque wrench, hex set, impact gun, jackstands etc) so pretty much I have more mechanical skills than your typical department-store clerk in the womens department, but an advanced gearhead would run circles around me. However I'm not worried about trying new things.

That being said, is there anything basic, yet beneficial I can do? I saw that aluminum skidplate on pfyc-worth it to replace the heavy-@$$ stocker? What about putting iridium plugs in or a set of Taylor or MSD wires? And I'm prob. getting a k&n drop-in for now, I've seen a bunch of intakes but they're $199+......sorry for all the newb questions, I'm sure so many ppl have done this before me~I'm gonna use "search" and see what I can find other than that any and all info is appreciated!

oh edit: where do things like throttle body spacer, oil catch can(I read Sarge's thread-that guy knows his stuff) and ported MAF ends stand in the basic/easy/beneficial category?
    Last edited by ls1fan74; 03-29-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added questions

hugger orange

congrads on the new car! I was just up in Clifton Park friday delivering to tractor supply, its a nice area.
    I'd save the money on the K&N for now and look into a set of longtube headers, I had my pacesetters shipped for $450

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I replaced my plugs with iridiums(NGK). Installed them myself(watch out for the spikes that hold the fuel rail covers-they say GTO on them-those spikes are sharp!) and get some radiator hose for the fuel line on the driver side to keep from rubbing on the fuel rail covers. I am saving for a lighter skid guard myself. I do my own oil changes as well. Check your clutch master cylinder, the fluid turns black after a while. I have been changing the fluid on mine three times and I am getting the dirty sludge out little by little. I have had mine for a little over a year. I honestly don't think these cars are intimidating to work on.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I replaced my plugs with iridiums(NGK). Installed them myself(watch out for the spikes that hold the fuel rail covers-they say GTO on them-those spikes are sharp!) and get some radiator hose for the fuel line on the driver side to keep from rubbing on the fuel rail covers. I am saving for a lighter skid guard myself. I do my own oil changes as well. Check your clutch master cylinder, the fluid turns black after a while. I have been changing the fluid on mine three times and I am getting the dirty sludge out little by little. I have had mine for a little over a year. I honestly don't think these cars are intimidating to work on.
    I was very suprised at how easy it is to work on.
    I would think yours is the same, but on my a4, there is a heat sheild on the driverside between the exhaust manifold and overflow tank. just grab it real good and pull it strait up to take it out, this will give you alittle more rom to get to plugs

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

IIRC I have that too. Those damn spikes on the fuel rails are MURDER. I caught one of my fingers on the driver side one and I stopped what I was doing and sure enough I felt something wet running down my finger. I was bleeding. Stung like hell.

White
    09 G8 GT

sweet thanks for the info so far....yes mine is an m6 and has that heat shield on the drivers side too.

hugger orange

I'd skip the MAF, stock will work fine, if you out grow it(600+hp) just ditch it and go speed density.
    no gains wuth the spacer either, but I highly recomend the catch can.
    oh plus don't do what lots of people have done (including me) and waste your money on a handheld tuner

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Once my income taxes get here I'm ordering a catch can. I have read it will serve very well on a modded LSx motor.

Thread Information