Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

Im considering getting the LS2 GTO...

I raced an LS2 gto from a roll the other day. Started at 80mph and ended at 110. He pulled 1 car space inbetween my front bumper and his rear. I am impressed with the top end. I like the looks of it too. I might trade in my other car a 05 nissan maxima for it. I found an 05 gto with 4k miles for $26.5k. Its an automatic. Is there any problems that i need to watch out for like recalls? Is the manual faster in the 1/4? Whats the best thing that can be done to it so it wont stay peeling out on the launch? What can 3k of mods do to this beast?

txcosmos
    3k should be able to get you a new cam, headers and a tune. Should be good for another 40+ HP

Torrid Red
    05 GTO

Hell spend $500 and get your computer reprogrammed and get the torque management removed. Save the rest for gas!

Awaiting Activation

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

My sincere recommendation is, make sure you like the car as an overall package. By this I mean, recognize that launching these cars is tricky, especially with the M6, and will take time to master. Minor mods won't net much as the car is already pretty otimized from the factory. If you value a stiff ride and handling over compliant ride and somewhat reduced handling, pass on it. There are a few cars out there that can hang with it stock, so you won't outrun everybody.

Personally, I wouldn't trade mine for anything as it fulfills all my needs as built. But I value the overall package vs all-out speed or cornering, or braking. I feel this car made the perfect compromise for daily driving satisfaction. And I love the way it looks.

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

My stock evo cost the exact same as stock gto. In a 1/4 race they are even. From a roll on the highway the gto would win by alot. I have spent 4.5k in mods in my evo with all the labor done myself. I have intake, headers, full catless exhaust, wallbro fuel pump, 272 intake and exhaust cams, a custom tune pushing 21psi. And i still lost from a roll. From a deadstop in a 1/4 mile race the gto would have not reached me by the end mark. I can only imagine what dropping 4k to engine mods do to the gto not including labor!! If i got a gto i would get an automatic. What cars can outrun a stock ls2gto on the highway??

Cyclone Grey
    2005 M6 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by EVO8 driver
    My stock evo cost the exact same as stock gto. In a 1/4 race they are even. From a roll on the highway the gto would win by alot. I have spent 4.5k in mods in my evo with all the labor done myself. I have intake, headers, full catless exhaust, wallbro fuel pump, 272 intake and exhaust cams, a custom tune pushing 21psi. And i still lost from a roll. From a deadstop in a 1/4 mile race the gto would have not reached me by the end mark. I can only imagine what dropping 4k to engine mods do to the gto not including labor!! If i got a gto i would get an automatic. What cars can outrun a stock ls2gto on the highway??
    First off, ouch!! getting pulled on the hwy when modded. Secondly it was probably an M6 you ran on the hwy and it may have been modded. I'm guessing you are in the 30x whp range right? If you are putting down more than that, a stock LS-2 GTO would not have walked away from you due to power/weight (so it was modded). M6s have great gearing for the hwy, A4s are not as strong there. A4s are easier to launch though and as mentioned above can get beastly in the 1/4 once torque management is removed.

If you are trading in the Maxima for this car, you should feel right at home. It's refined and plush but has a split personality when you nail the LS2. The GTO is a bruiser not a canyon carver, it feels big and has significant body roll. Some suspension mods (swaybars, springs) can improve handling but it would take alot of $$ to get it to corner like your EVO. It's best feature is by far the LS-2, gobs of instant torque at your toes.

With 4k I would do the following:
    full catback exhaust with X-pipe (B&B TriFlo) = $850
    full length headers (Stainless Works) = $1400
    reverse split cam + install parts (CompCams 228/222 588/571 114.5) = $700
    the above mods with tune should put you at about 420rwhp/400rwtq for $2950. That leaves 1k for a 150 shot putting you at around 550rwhp/570rwtq.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by EVO8 driver
    what did/ do you run in the quarter?

Black
    03 Evolution 345 awhp

I have not ran my evo in the 1/4. I know it all comes down to the driver. 90% of evos with my exact same mods run mid to low 12's on pump gas. I am about to replace my stock clutch with a exedy stage2. My current clutch cant hold any power of the launch at all. Not even thru 2nd gear. I have around 340whp. Danno-SS That sounds scary to have for that amount of $$ I can already imagine the power!

Thread Information