HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar

Question If I cut off resonators???

Im gonna have a local shop that i always go to for exhaust work tomorrow to have em put on my slp loudmouth catback on my 04 goat. i currently have dual cutouts. However the cutouts are welded to those two resonators right after the 02 sensors before the x pipe.
    So my question is: Will cutting these off and replace with 2 1/4 pipe increase or decrease flow / as well as sound. Also if just cut off the resonators along with the cutouts before the 02 sensors will i have any problems with throwing codes. i dont think i will because im not touchin the o2's and airflow to em is not affected. it is about two inchs after them though because the resonators will be gone...but i need second opinions.
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

anyone?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Shit I'm too old!!! I cant remember if we threw codes or not.....oh well....sound is deeper and no you dont lose enough nor gain enough to make any difference one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Shit I'm too old!!! I cant remember if we threw codes or not.....oh well....sound is deeper and no you dont lose enough nor gain enough to make any difference one way or the other.
    good thing i planned ahead and got my emissions done three days ago,lol. yeah i dont think it would throw any cause im not messing with any airflow before it comes in contact with the o2's but i just was seeing if cutting off the resonators and replacing em with stock 2 1/4 inch piping would screw anything up. but deeper is better in my book. thanks anyways man

silver
    2004 gto

it won't throw any codes.just cut mine off last week.

red
    2004 gto

Thumbs up

I have 60k with no res. and I have had no issues at all.

black
    2004 pontiac gto

Cut Off Resonators

I Have A Cat Back That Starts Right Behind My Cats. I Ordered A Straight Pipe That Had The 02 Sensor Cutouts Already In Place. I Would Order The Straight Pipe First Because Your Going To Spend The Money Anyway To Have Someone Make The Pipes For You. I Had Someone Cut The Straight Pipe (2 1/5 Inch Pipes) And Weld That To The Existing Pipe Right Behind The Cats And Took The Resonators Off. I Think That Is The Smarter Move Rather Than Worrying If Your Car Is Going To Pass Emissions Next Year. The Straight Pipe From Rpm Outlet Comes With The Cutouts So You Can Still Use Your O2 Sensors With No Worry.

Quote Originally Posted by kevan View Post
    I Have A Cat Back That Starts Right Behind My Cats. I Ordered A Straight Pipe That Had The 02 Sensor Cutouts Already In Place. I Would Order The Straight Pipe First Because Your Going To Spend The Money Anyway To Have Someone Make The Pipes For You. I Had Someone Cut The Straight Pipe (2 1/5 Inch Pipes) And Weld That To The Existing Pipe Right Behind The Cats And Took The Resonators Off. I Think That Is The Smarter Move Rather Than Worrying If Your Car Is Going To Pass Emissions Next Year. The Straight Pipe From Rpm Outlet Comes With The Cutouts So You Can Still Use Your O2 Sensors With No Worry.
    hmm i checked it out. but it looks like that one is for when the cats are removed as well??

How significant is it having a off road mid pipe w catback to not having one with a catback...i got my exhaust put on Sunday. But the dumbfucks used only two inch pipe from after my cats to the 2.5inch x-pipe...would this really lower my hp?? and for some reason, i dunno if it was because it was just louder, but the car felt faster when i had my cutouts...However i do recognize the gain in torque with the catback...

black
    2004 pontiac gto

resonators

I Realize What Your Saying, However What I Was Saying Was Rather Than Having To Cut Your 02 Sensors Off You Could Of Had The Same Gain If Not A Little More With The 02 Sensors Still On. Where Your Guy Put 2" Pipe From Your Cats Back To The X Pipe You Would Of Had 2.5" Pipe. You Basically Paid A Guy To Put Smaller Pipes Or The Same Size Pipes At That Point In The Exhaust. Whats Done Is Done I Was Just Trying To Give You An Alternative For Future Emissions Tests Etc.... Why Did The Guy Put 2" Pipe Back On Your Ride? To Answer Your Question About The Mid Pipe, Putting The Mid Pipe On Without The Cats Caused Me To Lose Power, The Modern Engines Are Designed For The Back Pressure That The Cats Allow. To Fix This I Had Him Cut The Mid Pipe And Weld It From The Cats Back. Increased Flow And Sound Greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by kevan View Post
    I Realize What Your Saying, However What I Was Saying Was Rather Than Having To Cut Your 02 Sensors Off You Could Of Had The Same Gain If Not A Little More With The 02 Sensors Still On. Where Your Guy Put 2" Pipe From Your Cats Back To The X Pipe You Would Of Had 2.5" Pipe. You Basically Paid A Guy To Put Smaller Pipes Or The Same Size Pipes At That Point In The Exhaust. Whats Done Is Done I Was Just Trying To Give You An Alternative For Future Emissions Tests Etc.... Why Did The Guy Put 2" Pipe Back On Your Ride? To Answer Your Question About The Mid Pipe, Putting The Mid Pipe On Without The Cats Caused Me To Lose Power, The Modern Engines Are Designed For The Back Pressure That The Cats Allow. To Fix This I Had Him Cut The Mid Pipe And Weld It From The Cats Back. Increased Flow And Sound Greatly.
    i looked again and i think it actully the correct diameter its just the actual skin of the pipe is thinner so it lookes smaller. the reason why i had em start cutting things is because i used to have cutouts welded on right after the resonators.. soo with the catback that all had to go

Thread Information