Thread: I want a GTO

disord3r

I want a GTO

Hello all. New to the forums, and it looks like I picked the right time to jump in!

Ever since I saw the 2004 GTO, I just assumed I would eventually buy one. I really like the styling and the interior looks amazing. I haven't yet had an opportunity to ride/testdrive one, but I don't think I want to put myself through that yet as I'm not quite ready to buy yet. I've just cleared myself of all debts, and have nothing but disposable income, but now I face a new decision.

I was pleased to see that the car I was already in love with has gotten an LS2 for 2005. Seems to be a better motor all around, but I don't know if I necessarily want to step up to that yet. Yes it has a bit more power and probably more overall potential than the LS1, but it is a new motor. The LS1 has a pretty big aftermarket already.

So what would you say to someone who is in love with the GTO and might not be truly shopping around for one for about 8-12 months? Save some cash on a low-milage 2004, or go ahead and go for the 2005? It'll be my first ever V8, so I'm sure I'll be happy with the power... for a while. I can definitely see myself hopping it up a bit in the longrun.

So, lemme have it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Man you sure know how to stir the pot dont you I have had a "few" GTO's in the past 45+ years of my gearhead life.....I have a highly modded 04 right now...the rear view mirror is about all that is factory left on the car
    50 HP seperate the two and that can be easily overcome with simple
    bolt ons/dyno tune.
    Your correct....tons of aftermarket for the LS1...but that is coming quickly for the LS2's.
    Appearance.....I have a aftermarket scoop hood...fully functional of course....some like/dislike both pipes coming out the same side on the 04's versus the seperate pipes on the 05's......I see 04's in great shape in the high teens low 20's around here....that gives you a helluva lot of mod money right there....there isnt any difference in the ride that I have been able to tell in the few 05's I have driven.....warranty is no issue as I had the engine out at 200 miles...I do not know if that is an issue for you.....bottom line...if you want a street legal beast...I would go the 04....take the money....and spend it on Heads/Cam/valves/lifters/forged bottom end/LSX Intake/LT Headers/RT Cats/Performance Exhaust/BMR Drive Shaft/Harrop Diff Cover/Nitrous Express 150 shot/Nitto Drag Radials/Baer 13" brakes/Triple A Pillar Guage Pods w/oil pressure/temp/trannie temp guages/oil cooler with dual oil filters/spin on trannie filter with Perma Cool Trannie Cooler/PI 3200 Stall/Trans Go Shift kit.....open your nitrous tank.....put in your AC/DC Live CD...and go hunting But thats just me....

ingram4868
    Sarge, I heard that the LS1 engine blows or sucks oil into the TB and that a fix was made for the LS2 engine. It would seem that if oil gets into the combustion chamber you would loose some power and maybe load up the valves with carbon.

Is what I've heard correct?
    If so can this oil burning for the LS2 be accomplished for the LS1?

I love your idea of buying a good 2004 GTO and spending a couple thousand on mods.

jd1879
    that LS1 has been around for a long ass time!, i dont think there has been many problems with it. but i am new here too

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah it does....easy mod fixes that....called a catch can....you can get em here... http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm
    here is mine on the car...

it is the red can with two red hoses going to it....all it does is filter the air coming from the crank for oil mist....and drops it down into the can versus into your intake......I see some 05 Goat boys doing the same thing on the LS2's and getting oil in the can....I get about a couple of teaspoons of oil in the can after a few hard runs....better in the can than in the top end
    Cheap and easy mod man....no worries....

Thread Information