Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Hey Sarge I have a Question.

I had a offer to buy Kooks LT's headers, Catless mids, and X pipe with spintechs for a 06 model for $1650. Is that a good deal? Or should I go with a full jba set up with cats for 1850? Honestly, what I really want is a really good catback system, something that sounds good. I stuck on Corsa sport, Borla, and JBA, but does it make a difference on h pipe or x pipe? Also, Are the JBA's a good flowing muffler? are they like flowmasters? I also, wanted to go with a intake. Some offered me a new era.... but I was looking into a Volant? Any suggestions? Is it worth it to loose the cats and get high flow ones? And as far as headers, does that void warranty?

txcosmos
    Headers wont void a warrantee.

Kooks are probably the best hear available for the GTO right now.
    You definitely want high flow cats with headers and cat-back.
    I don't think there will be any difference in performance between h and x, but there will be a slight vary in sound.
    I hear alot of good things about Volant, but new era makes a good piece too.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by TysGTO View Post
    I had a offer to buy Kooks LT's headers, Catless mids, and X pipe with spintechs for a 06 model for $1650. Is that a good deal? Or should I go with a full jba set up with cats for 1850? Honestly, what I really want is a really good catback system, something that sounds good. I stuck on Corsa sport, Borla, and JBA, but does it make a difference on h pipe or x pipe? Also, Are the JBA's a good flowing muffler? are they like flowmasters? I also, wanted to go with a intake. Some offered me a new era.... but I was looking into a Volant? Any suggestions? Is it worth it to loose the cats and get high flow ones? And as far as headers, does that void warranty?
    Well I have gone through three sets of exhaust systems on the 04 GTO....and now have a custom made exhaust that I finally like.....
    Dont lose sight of "why"....I mean by that...why are you doing it to begin with?....spending your hard earned money to avhieve what exactly?.....Some want the "best" sound"....well that's sorta like which girl is the "best" looking.....depends on who you ask You can hear a lot of different setups here by the way.... http://www.ls1sounds.com/ .....Many want the top performance exhaust system...flow and exhaust gas evacuation capabilities.....And finally you want a good "fit"....many aftermarket systems fit poorly and require a hammer to get them to fit properly...last thing you want is a $1500 setup banging around on your driveshaft/floor board .....Lastly I would consider warranty/legal issues. Can I pass inspection with my setup? Do I have warranty considerations?
    So the selection criteria should look like this...
    1. Sound/Loudness. Is it so damn loud I cannot hear myself think? My neighbors flip me off now. Might be cool at first but gets old real quick....
    2. Performance. X pipe design? Severe bends or smoother flow design?
    3. Fit. Appearance.
    4. Legal/Warranty.
    You must also include the cost of a tune. I know I know...many just unplug their battery and let the ECM relearn....I really like to see a tuner get all the extra ponies to the ground with your new found mods.....up to you.
    For the 06's many are seeing some serious RWTQ gains from header-back exhaust mods.....
    So with all that said I'd recommend the following....
    Headers- Stainless Works or Kooks. Ceramic coated or wrapped.
    Cats- Random Technologies High Flow Cats.
    Cat Back- Loudmouth II or Borla

Ask/look for a 50 state certification from the header manufacturer....which I think you'll find none of the long tube folks are 50 state CARB certified.... I havent seen a Volant setup up close as of yet...so I cannot dismiss nor endorse the fit/sound quality of the Volant....but use the same criteria for Volant as the others......

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Thanks Sarge,...you know, I really can't afford all this stuff. I'm really happy with the performance, ...for now, I'm looking for a great sounding exhaust. I've heard alot of different ones online, but is that what it really sounds like? or that's the catback and a whole bunch of other stuff done to it. I'd like something that sounds mean, but I don't want drone. What would you recommend as in a just a catback? The Borla and SLP? I've heard that the borlas quiet, is that true? What about a Corsa? Any good? I've had Spintechs, Flowmasters and Aeroturbine, on my F-150 ....Have you heard of a Aeroturbine? Any thoughts?

txcosmos
    I have a buddy that had the Corsa sport, with headers, cam etc. etc. It sounded kind of ricey to me, but there was absolutely no drone inside.

I have had flowmasters, and they droned, and right now I have Magnaflow, and they also drone really bad.

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by txcosmos View Post
    I have a buddy that had the Corsa sport, with headers, cam etc. etc. It sounded kind of ricey to me, but there was absolutely no drone inside.

I have had flowmasters, and they droned, and right now I have Magnaflow, and they also drone really bad.
    What about Borla?

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

What about JBA?

txcosmos
    Sarge had Borla's for a while, He'll chime in on those. I haven't heard anything about JBA's. Are you talking about headers or a cat back?

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Sarge had Borla's for a while, He'll chime in on those. I haven't heard anything about JBA's. Are you talking about headers or a cat back?
    Catback...

txcosmos
    Don't know, actually never even heard about it yet.

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Don't know, actually never even heard about it yet.
    Does the borla have drone?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Borlas are quiet....I realize we are all talking "perception" here...so that makes it difficult....but my personal take is this.....Borlas are damn near as quiet as factory...but have better flow....SLP Loudmouths are at the other end of the "loud" spectrum...too damn loud.....WOT will render you sterile and deaf....
    I have the SLP Loudmouth II's and a custom pipe bend job.....here it is...
    Click on idle video or start up video....very little drone in the cabin at cruise....but a big ass bite at WOT....
    http://nelsonperformance.com/600hpGTO6.htm

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

I went with kooks, high flow cats, and an off road pipe, and magnaflow... I couldn't be any happier with this set up..

Torrid Red
    06 Pontiac GTO

You are correct

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Who is? About what?

M3 SMG 350HP

What about JBA?
    The JBA Catback made 40rwhp more then a SW catback on a Supercharged GTO on KindergartenCarInternetExpertDynoQueens.com.

No other changes were done to the car. The JBA Catback makes power and sounds great.

Call me and we can talk more.

BR549
    JBA Headers
    Dustin
    Last edited by Sarge; 10-10-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Non sponsor link and link to other website

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Dyno numbers can be manipulated a million ways.
    Ask the Tornado guys....

White
    2002 VY SS

Thanks Sarge,...you know, I really can't afford all this stuff. I'm really happy with the performance, ...for now, I'm looking for a great sounding exhaust. I've heard alot of different ones online, but is that what it really sounds like?
    You are in a perfect position ATM with less than enough money for new pipes to do some research.

While you are saving your hard earned, take your time to visit a reputable exhaust or performance shop. If they are trustworthy and know their stuff, they should have an idea what you are after. Even allow you to listen 1st hand to cars they have in on the day with same/similar setups. The guy that takes the time and goes out of his way to help you is the guy I'd give my money to. Although they are harder to find these days...

The shop I go to gave me a call at home to let me know of a car similar to mine was booked in the next day, and I should come over for a look/listen. A shop like this tells me they listen to what the customer wants and try to help them get it, not tell them what they want.

As the wise man said, "Loud is cool at first, but gets old real quick". Go for something that sounds good.

Hope this helps...

-Me-

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Damn good advice^^^
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Thread Information