Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Header question?

Hey guys, Im new to the site and looking for some help. I recently bought an 04 GTO auto. Im looking to put some headers on it and I was wondering if you have to re-tune the car to run with no cats? The reason I ask is that Im low on cash(getting married) and would like to go ahead and put the headers on and go back and install cats in the future. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can run it that way but you'll have the check engine light on until you get the codes removed.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Thats what I figured, I work in an exhaust shop and some cars will go into limp mode and some wont. I didnt know what kind of system the gto had.Thanks for the info.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

to save money there are alot of people who can do a mail order tune,contact frost on here he is a sponsor great guy to deal with.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

I can get a set of bullet cats for like 120 but with the wedding commin up I can only afford the headers for now.

IBM
    04 GTO

Get some pacesetter coated long tubes with the catless mids you can pick em up just under $500 screw the cats lol

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

i found a set of pace setter un coated for like 250, as for the mids I can just build them myself. I work in an exhaust shop. As for the cats at my shop we go by the law and wont remove them so im kind of a practice what you preach kinda guy.

hugger orange

can't remember if its Manaflow, or Dynomax, but there universal high flow cats are only $65 each through Summit racing. working in a shop you might beable to get them for a little less.
    high flow cats do sometimes still through codes for bad cats, so look into getting your cat codes turned off anyway.
    Congradulations on the wedding man!

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Thanks for the congrats. I found a mechanical way to trick the rear O2's for about ten buck for the pair. As soon as the headers arrive ill get em put in and do some testing. If its a success ill post a how to and some pics. As for the cats I can get a pair of 3'' bullet cats for just under 120 for both. I can get a standard body cat for a bit less but they dont flow quite as good as bullet cats(some people know them as spun formed cats)

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Thanks for the congrats. I found a mechanical way to trick the rear O2's for about ten buck for the pair. As soon as the headers arrive ill get em put in and do some testing. If its a success ill post a how to and some pics. As for the cats I can get a pair of 3'' bullet cats for just under 120 for both. I can get a standard body cat for a bit less but they dont flow quite as good as bullet cats(some people know them as spun formed cats)
    I'd watchout for o2 sims, I tried them and they worked for about 2 weeks, then melted down.....they get VERY hot and lots of times just don't last.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    Get some pacesetter coated long tubes with the catless mids you can pick em up just under $500 screw the cats lol
    I agree every tuner I have talked too turns the back two 02s off anyways,pacesetter are ok headers I would also suggest only coated ones and they rust as well,but for the $ they are good as any other as far as performance,headers will pick you up around 12-15hp and 20-30 rwt.properly tuned.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

My O2 fix isnt sims, its a type of fitting that goes between the pipe and O2. I talked to this big time evo guy and hes done it to like ten cars. It uses the stock sensor and just tricks the sensor into thinking the cats there so it tells the computer all is well. I picked up the fittings today for $9.63. As soon as the headers get here and I get them installed Ill let you guys know pass or fail. As for the coating, I bought uncoated b/c I have a buddy that owns a coating biz. All I have to do is pay for materials and he will coat them in and out.

hugger orange

My O2 fix isnt sims, its a type of fitting that goes between the pipe and O2. I talked to this big time evo guy and hes done it to like ten cars. It uses the stock sensor and just tricks the sensor into thinking the cats there so it tells the computer all is well. I picked up the fittings today for $9.63. As soon as the headers get here and I get them installed Ill let you guys know pass or fail. As for the coating, I bought uncoated b/c I have a buddy that owns a coating biz. All I have to do is pay for materials and he will coat them in and out.
    2 spark plug defoulers stacked and drilled to fit the O2 sensor I take it? heard about it but never tried it

IBM
    04 GTO

Do you have to run cats where you live? It would be easier to just run catless and tune out the 02s my car freaked out until I got it tuned.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Youre right on the money Mark. The headers should be installed this coming weekend so ill let you know. As for emissions in Oklahoma, we dont have any for right now but just before the war we were about to. So as soon as things settle a bit we most likely will. Plus we get monitered at the shop I work at. Plus the cops in Stillwater have it out for fast cars and imports.

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Ok well the headers are in with the anti-fouler O2 assembly. So far I have drivin about 100-120 miles and no running problems and no check engine lights. I must say the car sounds awsome!!!!! Im running the LT's, no cats, 3"mids, 2.5" magnaflow x, flowmaster super 44's, and 2.5" magnaflow tails.

hugger orange

Ok well the headers are in with the anti-fouler O2 assembly. So far I have drivin about 100-120 miles and no running problems and no check engine lights. I must say the car sounds awsome!!!!! Im running the LT's, no cats, 3"mids, 2.5" magnaflow x, flowmaster super 44's, and 2.5" magnaflow tails.
    that's about the same setup I'm running. 3" bullets right off the headers and strait into super 44's, then 3" pipe strait out the back under the IRS. I love the way it sounds!

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Thats cool Mark. Every one around here just runs bolt on stuff. Being that I work at a shop that does exhaust I will be getting pretty creative with the exhaust sometime in the future. And I agree, you cant beat the sound of the 44's

hugger orange

the bullets didn't change the pitch or sound at WOT, but made it relatively quiet at idle and cruising.........just what a resonator should do

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Next on my list is a cam. Gotta have that thumpity thump out of the exhaust.

Thread Information