Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

gto or trans am? ownership info.

in a couple years my debt will be paid off, im gonna pay my truck down, and i plan on getting something else. i already know what i need to know about trans ams. i've had a couple but wanted an ls1. after having a child and knowing how the trans ams ride, im not sure i wanna go through that beating everyday and have a child in the backseat. it will probably be an 04 goat i'll look at for price reasons, but i would like all the low down on what to expect with a goat. ease of modifications, real world mileage, common issues and how to fix, and trans am comparisions if any. anything and everything with owning a gto, i wanna know, and what better place than from the people who have one.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well, I'll put my two cents in. I am happy with mine. It is my daily driver. Bought used from a dealership where the previous owner worked and was well taken care of. I assume the car was raced at the track a few times but whatever broke was immediately replaced. Bought with a warranty. If ya get one with a warranty, you're set. Damn good car IMO.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by bandit95 View Post
    in a couple years my debt will be paid off, im gonna pay my truck down, and i plan on getting something else. i already know what i need to know about trans ams. i've had a couple but wanted an ls1. after having a child and knowing how the trans ams ride, im not sure i wanna go through that beating everyday and have a child in the backseat. it will probably be an 04 goat i'll look at for price reasons, but i would like all the low down on what to expect with a goat. ease of modifications, real world mileage, common issues and how to fix, and trans am comparisions if any. anything and everything with owning a gto, i wanna know, and what better place than from the people who have one.
    i love mine and DD it, i can tell you if you put a set of racing buckets in it it's a pain in the butt to get a 2 yearold boy in and out of the car seat in the back lol.
    Sarge has a good writeup on all the problems/recalls on them.....of couse the 04 had a few more than the 05/06, but they got most taken care of pretty quick. some GTOs have problems with the front struts/bushings but it can be upgraded (pedders and a few others have lots of aftermarket parts for them).
    its alot easier to get to the rear plugs and do engine work than on the F-bodies with the motor farther forward.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the gto is definitely more kid and DD friendly although I fit 2 car seats in both of my cars. The gto has more back seat room and just rides better.

White
    09 G8 GT

You guys put kids in GTO's? Thats awesome... I've only had mine about 3 weeks and unfortunately havent done the "real" mileage, where you reset the trip odo filling up, then @ the next fill up, divide how many miles by how many gallons-just the DIC computer (which some say isnt as accurate). I've had a fairly heavy foot, no burnouts or anything and took it to 115 twice, but prob 70% steady highway driving(to work and back) and the DIC says between 19.6-20.8 MPG. Good comfy ride and seats(not typical of GM cars) Decent standard features, and quality interior. And I love the sound of the LS1 with the flowmaster.

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

My DIC reads about 6-7% worse than real MPGs. In other words if it says 23 that is really about 24 1/2 or so. I find that highway at about 85-90 I am getting about 23-24 MPGs. I can get 25+ MPGs if I am high 70s low 80s. Around town it really depends, also I never compute it around town but by the DIC I get 13.5 to about 16 depending how I drive, also very short drives in traffic where my car barely reaches full temp if at all. I assume this is about 14-17 around town.

White
    09 G8 GT

OT real quick you guys all use premium right?

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

Premium only

To the OP I think the main benefit from what I have heard with the F-body is that the car rides much better and has few if any rattles. It is really a nice ride, not quite the same as the Cadillacs I came from but very nice.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Sunoco 94 octane

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Sunoco 94 octane
    Sunoco in Ohio still has 94 octane?! This sux!! We had a downgrade. Ultra 93.

hugger orange

93 here too

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Ive had several F-Bodies and just sold my last one to buy my Goat. All in all....... I wouldnt even think of getting back into another F-Body. I wouldnt mind having one as a "play toy" but not for a DD. I average (display says) 18-19.8 mpg most times in my car and thats with mostly city driving. 50K miles and im about to to a tune up so hopefully that will increase. Ride is amazing, roomy, and the seats just seem to hug you while you sit in them

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

good info guys.i wanna know more about the problem areas with them more specifically and good fixes for the problems. and how well they respond to mods?

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

well the springs sag a good bit. mine almost looks lowered. but its ok. still has a great ride. i hate the front seats over a distance. i dont know why, after about 1.5 hours my back just starts to hurt and no matter what i do i cant get very comfortable. i figure its becuase the way i sit. im 6'4" and more leg room then any car ive ever owned. it seems like the most roomy car in the world from the inside. not alot of room under hood. though it is fairly easy to work on. gotta drop the skid plate to change the oil. all in all, id say that from owning am fbody in the past to owning my 04 gto. id say go with the goat. all day. GTO FTW!!!!!!!!!! one thing is for sure, its only fast enough for the first week. as ive had mine for all of two months and already am fabbing a front mount turbo. pics soon!!!

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Yea your a big guy to fit, I bet the seat is all the way down and the back is tilted back also and your head is at the roof, you got the lumbar support adjusted? Very cool about the turbo, looking forward to the pics.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

yeah, the seat is down not becuase of height but becuase i like to feel like i sit down into a car. not on top of it. you sit in a vette or a viper and even the new NEW mustang and you feel like you sit down into the car. the center console is at leg knee height. or up higher anyway. and the window sill is at the shoulder or higher. i would say thats the one thing that i really could complain about in the gto. i dont feel like im down in the car. yes the seat is tilted back a little so i look out the window not the sun tint on the winsheild. lol.
    i wonder if when i replace the seats with after market if ill sit lower in the car. huh, i guess well see. but i still stick to my guns about GTO over fbody any day!!! oh yeah believe it or not, if i sit with the seat all the way back i almost cant reach the pedals comfortably, this thing does have tons of leg room

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I tilted the lower part of the seat upward and reclined the upper part of the seat back a little. Works for me. I want a little "laid back" feeling. Kinda like being in a hammock. Having a bad back myself, I want to feel stretched out, but not have any neck pain.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    yeah, the seat is down not becuase of height but becuase i like to feel like i sit down into a car. not on top of it. you sit in a vette or a viper and even the new NEW mustang and you feel like you sit down into the car. the center console is at leg knee height. or up higher anyway. and the window sill is at the shoulder or higher. i would say thats the one thing that i really could complain about in the gto. i dont feel like im down in the car. yes the seat is tilted back a little so i look out the window not the sun tint on the winsheild. lol.
    i wonder if when i replace the seats with after market if ill sit lower in the car. huh, i guess well see. but i still stick to my guns about GTO over fbody any day!!! oh yeah believe it or not, if i sit with the seat all the way back i almost cant reach the pedals comfortably, this thing does have tons of leg room
    ditch the comfy factory seats for a set of racing buckets and a 5 point harness and you will love it....i know i do

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

thats on the list. for when the turbo build is done

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

i like the laid back feeling too but i'm 5'6 so i gotta sit up. my stubby body needs to actually see the road

Thread Information