red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

getting new tires what size should i go with

whats up everyone, i have a 2004 gto and its time for some new tires. im planning on getting 275/40-17 in the back and leaving the stock size in the front. i heard alot of ppl say you get alot of tire rub with the 275 in the back is there anyone out there that has this size of tire and is happy with it? would realy apriciate any info
    thanx,
    1fastgto

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

It depends on whos 275/40/17 you buy. There might need to be some quater lip grinding to do...... Nothing to major!!

I would put 245/45/17 on the front and 275/40/17 on the rear. That will give it a nice stagger and the heigth is the same.

Tire brand all depends on what you want to do with the car and if your budget limited.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

well the car is a dd and i do take it to the track so i need something that will hook good but get @ least 10000 miles out of. somethins soft but not too soft

Impulse blue
    2005 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastgto View Post
    well the car is a dd and i do take it to the track so i need something that will hook good but get @ least 10000 miles out of. somethins soft but not too soft
    nitto's maybe i still have my factory bfgoodrich tires on it

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

If your NOT limited on your budget I'd get the Pilot Sports.
    I've gone 11.0's on there 20's @ 130mph.
    Yes they are expensive but theyu do work and ride great. Thats why MOST "super cars" come with them stock.

Torrid Red
    2004 GTO

HI LS2Tuner, and what if you are limited on budget. What do you recommend. I've heard the NITTO's run a little narrower than most. What do you think. I've also heard people getting 10000 out of the DR's. ??? I'm also looking for some new tires. I don't drive it much, not in bad weather (unless I get caught), and pretty much in a straight line, and I drag race it so I am looking for a DR I can drive on the street also. I don't want to be changing tires at the track. I'm not in good health and changing the tires in the heat is just to much for me. I'm thinking about the Nitto's. I know the MT DR's work better at the track, but I think they are wider and require the finders to be rolled/cut. I would rather not do that if I can get away without it. 1fastgto, I don't want to high-jack your post, but I think the info will help both of us. Thanks Gunny

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny's Goat View Post
    HI LS2Tuner, and what if you are limited on budget. What do you recommend. I've heard the NITTO's run a little narrower than most. What do you think. I've also heard people getting 10000 out of the DR's. ??? I'm also looking for some new tires. I don't drive it much, not in bad weather (unless I get caught), and pretty much in a straight line, and I drag race it so I am looking for a DR I can drive on the street also. I don't want to be changing tires at the track. I'm not in good health and changing the tires in the heat is just to much for me. I'm thinking about the Nitto's. I know the MT DR's work better at the track, but I think they are wider and require the finders to be rolled/cut. I would rather not do that if I can get away without it. 1fastgto, I don't want to high-jack your post, but I think the info will help both of us. Thanks Gunny
    I would go with the KumhoSupra 712's for the front and run a BFG DR on the rear. The section width is with in a 1/8" between the Nittos and the BFG's. The BF's hook better on the street and the track. We only saw about a 100-200 mile window of difference in life also.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    get the 275's and just grind the lip down a lil like i did....my goats dropped and i still only cut the lip half as much as i wanted and it rubs only time to time now
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Torrid Red
    2004 GTO

Get the 275's. Which tire?
    2004 GTO, A4, Torrid Red/Blk, 1 of 1031, Yank SS3600, Dart-225s 62cc, Cometic .040, CompCams 230/236-.613/.608-112LSA, Hi Tech 7.350 pushrods, Kook 1 7/8, CAT/Reson. delete, 3" H-pipe, super 40s, Ported TB, TB bypass, 160TS, SLP MAF, JBA wires, NGK TR-55, New ERA CAI, tuned = 392hp/344tq

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Very few brand will fit with rubbing unless you use the Pedders 5/16 springs or drag bags. And even with that you may need to roll or grind your fenders.
    10.954 123.58 1.496 489.29 rwhp 475.52 rwtq

Torrid Red
    2004 GTO

I have a set of MT ET Streets, 26 x 11.5 x 17. I had them on my stock rims, and I never had a rub. They are over 12" on the outside. Are 275's wider than that? Is it normal for that size of tire to not rub? I haven't done any bending or cutting. My car is almost done, so I have to get going and order some tires. Thanks, Gunny

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny's Goat View Post
    Get the 275's. Which tire?
    Mickeys Drag Radial.......... Or Hoosiers but they are a 1/16 or 2 wider. The Hoosiers are lighter=more mph.

Thread Information