Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Gettin a tune Friday

I am getting my GTO tuned by Jeremy Formato Friday. Also getting the intake and TB ported. Hopefully I will be in the 12's now... I am excited to go to the track Saturday. The guys at the speed shop were saying that those mods will add 30-40 WHP. Is the stock tune really that bad? Oh well either way I am excited as hell.

Black
    2004 GTO

yes stock tune is really bad...I have an 04 gto A4 and got it tuned, and some headers, noticed a HUGE diffrence in TORQUE and Top End HP!! I also got the CAI, works GREAT...But yea the tune will really crank up some HP...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I had HPTuners installed. REALLY woke up the car. When I bought my car the car ran OK when cold, but if I shut my car off after a short trip, then restart it, the car would only run for five seconds before shutting itself down. I think the previous owner demodded the Goat and screwed up the tune. But after the tune I had done, I am happy.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the quality of tune is pretty important. In order to get those 12's you should work on getting that car out of the hole. My brother has a helluva time getting his 60's down and it's killing him on the big end. I'd recommend some drag radials.

PMB
    2004 GTO

now throw some 391's in that beast...best mod ive done by a long shot.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the quality of tune is pretty important. In order to get those 12's you should work on getting that car out of the hole. My brother has a helluva time getting his 60's down and it's killing him on the big end. I'd recommend some drag radials.
    I have been looking into them. I can launch the car relatively well with street tires but I am sure that having more power will take some getting used to.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I have been looking into them. I can launch the car relatively well with street tires but I am sure that having more power will take some getting used to.
    that's exactly the dilemma. My brothers 60's got worse as he added mods. He was spinning more coming off the line due to the extra power. His car is making more power, it just isn't showing up on the time slip due to bad 60's. What's your mod list look like now?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

that's exactly the dilemma. My brothers 60's got worse as he added mods. He was spinning more coming off the line due to the extra power. His car is making more power, it just isn't showing up on the time slip due to bad 60's. What's your mod list look like now?
    Headers CAI and exhaust. Humidity usually sucks here hence the fact I have been stuck in the 13's. My 60's are usually between 1.9-2.0 though which is OK. It does want to spin quite a bit.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Headers CAI and exhaust. Humidity usually sucks here hence the fact I have been stuck in the 13's. My 60's are usually between 1.9-2.0 though which is OK. It does want to spin quite a bit.
    my bro went 13.40@104 stock with a 2.0 then after mods he ran a 13.40@106 with a 2.2 60. Different times of the year so not all things were equal in those runs but his 60's got completely terrible after the mods which are very similar to yours. He needs a stall and drag radials and that should put him well into the 12's. Is yours an auto? If so drop everything and get a stall.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

my bro went 13.40@104 stock with a 2.0 then after mods he ran a 13.40@106 with a 2.2 60. Different times of the year so not all things were equal in those runs but his 60's got completely terrible after the mods which are very similar to yours. He needs a stall and drag radials and that should put him well into the 12's. Is yours an auto? If so drop everything and get a stall.
    Its an M6. The first thing I bought for my A4 WS6 was a stall and there is absolutely no better mod for an auto car. My best run was 13.09 @110 with a 1.89 60'. I do need some D/Rs bad though. The only thing that sucks is the stock tire clearance is shit on these cars so the biggest thing I can put on is 265/40/18 (I think)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Its an M6. The first thing I bought for my A4 WS6 was a stall and there is absolutely no better mod for an auto car. My best run was 13.09 @110 with a 1.89 60'. I do need some D/Rs bad though. The only thing that sucks is the stock tire clearance is shit on these cars so the biggest thing I can put on is 265/40/18 (I think)
    me and my bro have been discussing tires for a couple of weeks now. Nitto's in an 18" are expensive....about 3 bills a piece. He really only needs/wants them for the track so my advice to him was to buy some used f-body rims and use those at the track. Cheaper in the long run and you get some sidewall out of the deal. If you look at a 16" rim in 245-50-16 and compare that to a stock 235-40-18 there's very little difference in diameter (.25") but you gain 1.12" in sidewall height and the speedo is only off by .62mph. Pretty darn close I'd say and a cheaper alternative if you're just looking for a track tire. A pair of 16" f-body wheels would be ~$150 and 2 tires would be ~$300 so you get tires and rims cheaper than just the 2 tires and you get a better hooking set up. If I were looking for just a track tire though Nitto wouldn't be at the top of the list...I'd throw some Mickey's on some f-body rims and call it good.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

me and my bro have been discussing tires for a couple of weeks now. Nitto's in an 18" are expensive....about 3 bills a piece. He really only needs/wants them for the track so my advice to him was to buy some used f-body rims and use those at the track. Cheaper in the long run and you get some sidewall out of the deal. If you look at a 16" rim in 245-50-16 and compare that to a stock 235-40-18 there's very little difference in diameter (.25") but you gain 1.12" in sidewall height and the speedo is only off by .62mph. Pretty darn close I'd say and a cheaper alternative if you're just looking for a track tire. A pair of 16" f-body wheels would be ~$150 and 2 tires would be ~$300 so you get tires and rims cheaper than just the 2 tires and you get a better hooking set up. If I were looking for just a track tire though Nitto wouldn't be at the top of the list...I'd throw some Mickey's on some f-body rims and call it good.
    dont forget when you do change tire tables in tune section..
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    dont forget when you do change tire tables in tune section..
    I would change it but with the diameter being so close I don't feel you would absolutely have too, I mean you're less than 1mph off.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Our speedo's came from the factory 1.5%-2% off anyway.....I use my TomTom (GPS) for really accurate speed.....consistently any GTO I put it in is off.....

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I have noticed that mine is 1 mph off when HP tuners on it,dunno...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my brother has complained for a while that his speedo is off and I told him he's crazy. Mine seems pretty accurate. He says his was off by almost 5mph pacing his wife in her car.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

my brother has complained for a while that his speedo is off and I told him he's crazy. Mine seems pretty accurate. He says his was off by almost 5mph pacing his wife in her car.
    Mine seems off by a little.

Phantomblack Metallic
    2005 GTO

DR's

i have mickeys 275/40/17's $200 a piece on factory Goat wheels.. My car has original 18's i get down the 1/8 mile at 8.15 with 1.80 60' i have the Lingefelter launch control, drag bags, and slp sway bar with an M6 launch at 4000RPM stock clutch... for now. Oh there are a few other little mods too.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Well, I got my tune/ported intake/TB and gained 32 RWHP and about 22 RWTQ. Tomorrow I go to the track and break into the 12's. Anyone in central florida I highly recommend Jeremy's tuning. It was awesome, and he got rid of the IAT stuff as well as all the timing retard stuff. The car has much improved throttle response from the way that it was. Next I guess is D/R's
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 01-09-2009 at 02:54 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Very nice. Have you had any "fun" with your Goat? I know I had to relearn how to drive mine after my tune. I was used to the way the car drove, that, after the tune, I was chirping the rear tires from a dead stop. The power came online quicker than before.

Thread Information