Impulse Blue Metallic
    2005 GTO

Front tire rub on plastic?

I have my front tires rub on some plastic wheel well wall in turn. This isn't that dreaded strub rub I do not think? I am really not up to tune in what could be wrong here so I posted pictures hoping somebody could help me. Should I just cut this plastic piese off? It feels really lose.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I pulled mine back with zip ties attached to plastic body panel pins.
    Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 10-06-2009 at 04:07 PM.

-

What is the caster set at in the car? Are they stock size tires?

Impulse Blue Metallic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by PartsGedder View Post
    What is the caster set at in the car? Are they stock size tires?
    Stock size: 235/40/18 and I have no clue what the caster is? I just bought the car on Saturday and my 2004 GTO did not have this problem so I am dumb-founded. How do I make my caster a less aggressive setting?

-

Is there an aftermarket Front Radius Rod bushing installed? If so, its a matter of moving spacers to the rear of the bushing on the radius rod. A 2mm change can affect caster by approx .25 degrees. Check the condition of the front and rear radius rod bushes. The plastic hanging down would rub and would just need to be tied back, but check to make sure the front and rear bushes are in good condition. If they are good, the plastic was hanging and get it tied back.

If the front RR bushes are stock, the caster is not adjustable.

Impulse Blue Metallic
    2005 GTO

Is there an aftermarket Front Radius Rod bushing installed? If so, its a matter of moving spacers to the rear of the bushing on the radius rod. A 2mm change can affect caster by approx .25 degrees. Check the condition of the front and rear radius rod bushes. The plastic hanging down would rub and would just need to be tied back, but check to make sure the front and rear bushes are in good condition. If they are good, the plastic was hanging and get it tied back.

If the front RR bushes are stock, the caster is not adjustable.
    how do I check the RR bushes? Sorry I do not have drivtrain/engine knowledge

-

Quote Originally Posted by KJax2010 View Post
    how do I check the RR bushes? Sorry I do not have drivtrain/engine knowledge
    Check the fronts with a 5MPH brake check. Have someone you trust drive the car at 5 - 8 mph parrallel to you so you can see the front tire and stomp on the brake and hold it. Look to see how far it goes back into the wheel well. Then have them release the brake and watch it spring forward. If the front RR bush is still good, there should be very little movement. If there is noticable movement back to front, the front RR bushes are bad.

The movement is the radius rod moving in the bushing. To check the rears, you'll need to get under the car and look to see if there is a space between the washers and the bush in the Lower Control Arm. Look to see if the rubber is cracked around the ferrule (metal sleeve). Check to see if the ferrule is still centered in the Lower Control Arm front to back, side to side if you can. Look to see if the washers are severely bent of "pulled in". There will be some, but not a lot. Look for bare metal or signs of rubbing/ movement. Anything that might indicate a loose part. The rear "T" nut will fit inside the rear of the rear of the bushing through the washer. Check to see if there is space between the head of the nut, washer, and bushing, it should be tight.

Let us know what you find.
    Dan Morris

hugger orange

my 04 was down right scary when I checked it.
    I jacked the frontend up off the ground and could move the front wheels forward and back, and left to right very far by hand.
    RR bushing were gone and both tierods were completely shot.
    I replaced RR bushing with the Pedders adjustables and new tierod ends......handled like a completely different car

Impulse Blue Metallic
    2005 GTO

Well there was very little tire movement, but maybe I should just replace them with Pedders? How much am I looking at to spend?

-

Quote Originally Posted by KJax2010 View Post
    Well there was very little tire movement, but maybe I should just replace them with Pedders? How much am I looking at to spend?
    The EP9166 is $245.04 retail plus shipping. The install is pretty basic and can be done with hand tools and jack stands.

hugger orange

The EP9166 is $245.04 retail plus shipping. The install is pretty basic and can be done with hand tools and jack stands.
    honestly including pulling the car in the garage and 2 smoke breaks it took me about 45 minutes. its very easy and in the "install documents" Sarge has a very good writeup with pics to go by

hugger orange

I'd check to see if you have any play in the tierods, and if you do replace them at the same time......partsgedder will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the tierod ends were around $28 each, which is pretty cheap for what it is

IBM
    04 GTO

I picked up a set of lovells rr bushing for 200 shipped from SNL performance!!! same stuff diff color and name. The rest of my bushings are pedders tho.
    Last edited by derbs; 10-08-2009 at 06:08 AM.

-

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I'd check to see if you have any play in the tierods, and if you do replace them at the same time......partsgedder will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the tierod ends were around $28 each, which is pretty cheap for what it is
    PTE3049 are $25.12 each, plus shipping. So yeah, you were very close.

Thread Information