Thread: front sway bar

hugger orange

front sway bar

I've heard people saying they take there front swaybar out for drag racing. would doing this make a big diference on how my car launches, and should I remove it?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hell no.....the damn car twist ( torque) and you need it....I would replace the sway bar bushings with the Pedders bushings...it really makes a difference....stiffens things up and makes the steering much more responsive....easy/inexpensive and the difference is amazing....

hugger orange

ok thanks Sarge. yeah I read your front bushing install and that is definately on the list as soon as I get some more money saved up....house, kids, cars, the girlfriend...I think the car is the cheapest and easiest to deal with lol

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

For weight transfer it does greatly help allow the front end to gain travel and aid weight transfer. It is also harder to remove the end links than a normal bar due to it's design. It is still doable at the track in the pits once you get there with a floor jack.
    As Sarge said these cars do flex alot and have TQ twist also due to the LS power. I highly recommend anyone that is trying to make these fast to install some weld in sub frame connectors. You talk about a difference.....You can feel it just driving normal.

If you have enough power and are blowing some hp than yes you can get a gain out of the hole with removing the end link.NOT THE WHOLE BAR!!
    With nitrous you will see your biggest increase in the initial 100 feet so 20 min. of labor in the pits is well worth it for me.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

2 badass birds

RED/black
    97ws6/05 GTO

hmm took me from 1.67 60's to 1.51 just removing the bar completely so I say take that heavy pos off unless you are are road racer.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You got a shitload better 60' times by taking off the front swaybar? What do you contribute that to? I mean weight reduction would require at least 100lbs+ to get that kind of difference....please share what you think contributed to those time improvements.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You got a shitload better 60' times by taking off the front swaybar? What do you contribute that to? I mean weight reduction would require at least 100lbs+ to get that kind of difference....please share what you think contributed to those time improvements.
    Shit even a 150lbs isn't gaining a .15 off your 60' times.

Maybe he had that Mallory metal swaybar. For those that don't know about Mallory metal it's what we add to crankshafts foe weight when we have to add weight to balance. It's heavy shit.

I would say 99% of that gain was due to less tire spin from the added weight transfer of 2-3 inches of frontend travel gained.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Wait a minute....is he in a Fbody? Posting shit in the GTO section and thinking Goats have the same geometry and chassis?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Hell no.....the damn car twist ( torque) and you need it....I would replace the sway bar bushings with the Pedders bushings...it really makes a difference....stiffens things up and makes the steering much more responsive....easy/inexpensive and the difference is amazing....
    I'll tell you what Sarge, I just widebodied the goat (for the look) I pulled the quarters out 3" on each side and added air vents for the brakes (also mostly for looks) all 20 gauge sheet metal, fully welded all seams. the extra little filler pieces and weld wire might have added 5-10 pounds but I got am added bonus... man it stiffened the car up and reduced a lot of flex, plus now if I go with the right offset I can get a lot wided wheel/ tire package under her. if just some quarter work did this much, I can't wait to do sfc's and bushings...oh and I guess I also really changed the aerodynamics because I'm getting 2.5 to the gallon more now than last week before all the body work

2 badass birds

RED/black
    97ws6/05 GTO

No thats in my 06 GTO yes most of its from the added travel of it not being there. some of it is weight (not much)

I always empty the overflow tank for the rad(keep rad full though) empty all the washer fluid out. 7lb battery, avs roadrace front tires (light) thats it.

Oh and "dont be skurd" you can always buy new parts.

Thread Information