Thread: freaking out!

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar

Unhappy freaking out!

ok heres my problem as some know. i am familiar with working on cars but nothing like front suspension. soo when you guys describe it to me pretend your describing it to your mother cause i really need to hammer home what the problem is so i can fix it correctly, efficiently, and as soon as possible..

on my o4 gto..i experience wheel shake at speeds now 40+ over (used to be 60+) so its getting worse. mainly when i slightly turn the wheel left, when i actually literally make a right turn its fine.. so it must be my driverside wwwhhhatever...also when i brake at over 60+ at times it shakes very very harsh back and forth...also my brakes are starting to make sounds when i fully brake to a stop (like roll back kinda full stop) not a squeeking sound but more of grabbing sound. like you can hear the piston grabbing my rotor but not grinding...my next door neighbor who is a mechanic said its either the tie rod or rotors. i know that are gto's are so fuckin foreign that ol school help usually doesnt cut it but its just a thought.

I DOOO NNNOT wanna buy anything that is not gonna fix the problem..AND when u guys say clean the rotor. u mean like with a towel?? cause my rotor looks pretty damn clean and shiny,lol. and i dunno how thats gonna stop shaking that i have....what parts would i need from pedders to fix this? does pedders have their version of our tie rods cause i am a fuckin moron when it comes to front end suspension shit like this cause i never had to deal with it before....I JUST WANT THIS NIGHTMARE TO BE OVER!! lol. help me guys!!

P.S. before i buy anything i guess i have do your rotor thing soo what does it consist of?? and like i said i do not know the vocabulary of some parts so is their any pics or stickys with pics i can see?
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Hope this helps a little

When we say clean the rotor we mean get some brake cleaner and spray that bitch down and wipe off residue with a shop rag and repeat the process until the rotor looks brand spanking new. You can also get some light/medium grit sandpaper and lightly scuff the rotor after cleaning, so the pad can grip the rotor. Also the cleaning of the rotor means cleaning the rotor/hub assembly, which is behind the actual rotor. The GOAT's have a problem with brake dust getting trapped in there along with heat/warp problems. It also needs to be cleaned until it looks like a new part. I've gotta do the same to my GOAT as well, but I don't have time during the week and the weather around here has been shit on the weekends, so I haven't gotten a chance to do it yet, but I am painting the stock wheels and calipers, so I'll be doing a tear out of all the wheel parts, caliper and such and I figured I might as well clean all that stuff while I have the wheels off. I hope that is in enough layman's terms for you. I think there are enough of us on here experiencing the same problem that with all are heads working together we should be able to resolve our problems.

Don't be a dumb ass Damage Inc.'s Avatar

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

It sound like you may have more than one issue.
    You didn't mention if you have stock wheels.?
    Has it sat for a while?

First: Wheel shake on slight turns.

Get the car up in the air. Grab the wheel at the front and back. Now try and see if there is any looseness while rocking the wheels front to back, up and down. If there is play get it fixed. Most likely tie rod, you'll need an alignment.

If that all seems good check the tire for any abnormal wear patterns. Flat spots, feathering(slight angular wear), or anything that looks questionable. Also check for strut rub.
    These cars have some issues with the inside of the tire sidewall rubbing the struts.
    If that all looks good it may be just a wheel/balance issue.

Shake when braking:
    It may just be something on the rotor as discussed above. Remove the wheels clean the rotors with brake clean. And watch the tire shine next time. Also make sure the area around the lug studs is clean.
    If that doesn't get it you probably will have to replace or machine/cut the rotors.
    Remember to torque the wheels when you put them back on. If they are not torqued down properly you can warp a rotor.
    Hope that helps.
    Thom

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.7literMustangEater View Post
    When we say clean the rotor we mean get some brake cleaner and spray that bitch down and wipe off residue with a shop rag and repeat the process until the rotor looks brand spanking new. You can also get some light/medium grit sandpaper and lightly scuff the rotor after cleaning, so the pad can grip the rotor. Also the cleaning of the rotor means cleaning the rotor/hub assembly, which is behind the actual rotor. The GOAT's have a problem with brake dust getting trapped in there along with heat/warp problems. It also needs to be cleaned until it looks like a new part. I've gotta do the same to my GOAT as well, but I don't have time during the week and the weather around here has been shit on the weekends, so I haven't gotten a chance to do it yet, but I am painting the stock wheels and calipers, so I'll be doing a tear out of all the wheel parts, caliper and such and I figured I might as well clean all that stuff while I have the wheels off. I hope that is in enough layman's terms for you. I think there are enough of us on here experiencing the same problem that with all are heads working together we should be able to resolve our problems.
    thanks dude. looks like the cleaning must begin
    Quote Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
    It sound like you may have more than one issue.
    You didn't mention if you have stock wheels.?
    Has it sat for a while?

First: Wheel shake on slight turns.

Get the car up in the air. Grab the wheel at the front and back. Now try and see if there is any looseness while rocking the wheels front to back, up and down. If there is play get it fixed. Most likely tie rod, you'll need an alignment.

If that all seems good check the tire for any abnormal wear patterns. Flat spots, feathering(slight angular wear), or anything that looks questionable. Also check for strut rub.
    These cars have some issues with the inside of the tire sidewall rubbing the struts.
    If that all looks good it may be just a wheel/balance issue.

Shake when braking:
    It may just be something on the rotor as discussed above. Remove the wheels clean the rotors with brake clean. And watch the tire shine next time. Also make sure the area around the lug studs is clean.
    If that doesn't get it you probably will have to replace or machine/cut the rotors.
    Remember to torque the wheels when you put them back on. If they are not torqued down properly you can warp a rotor.
    Hope that helps.
    Thom
    rims are stock but im def gonna do this. thank you man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    lucky surfinjoe!! lol. that just gave me a lotta hope..im gonna do this real soon. i think this sunday. thanks sarge. and im sorry guys if ive been annoying or bothersome in any way

Thread Information