badgoat

First oil change ?

How long do i wait till i do my first oil change ? I heard of doing it sooner then normal to get anything from the production of the engine out

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Whenever I have a new engine to break in, I change the oil after about 1,000 miles. Get all that assembly lube out of there. Make sure you use dino though. No synthetics for the first 5 or 10,000 miles.

silver
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Why no synthetic motor oil for the first 5 to 10,000 miles? JUst curious. Thanks

txcosmos
    No syn is BS. Corvettes come from the factory with mobil 1

I changed to syn @ 1300 miles, never looked back

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by txcosmos
    No syn is BS. Corvettes come from the factory with Mobil 1

I changed to syn @ 1300 miles, never looked back
    Don't most if not all 2006 performance GM models come with Mobil 1 from the factory now?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by badgoat
    How long do i wait till i do my first oil change ? I heard of doing it sooner then normal to get anything from the production of the engine out
    Hey BadGoat...."heard from" who...God himself? LOL.....Your answer is hidden between your foot and the pedal...real simple....
    If I bought a new Goat ( which I did) and only drag race it or flying mile the bitch.....and you bought a new Goat and drove it to work and to get groceries and sex toys for Mama....now are you and I gonna get the same answer? Hell no.....
    Lets play some more....what if you and I both just drove our new Goats to work and to the sex shop.....but you live in upper Michigan and I live in South Texas.....do you think we are both gonna get the same answer.....well unfortunetly yes we are gonna get the same answer...cuz folks on the internet are about 99% full of shit...so we end up back at the owners manual......if your stock or close to it....in otherwords...all you have is a CAI and some headers...I'd run a thicker 30 weight like Amsoil 0-30 or Royal Purple Racing 21.....heads and cam etc....go with Royal Purple Racing 41/Amsoil 5-40 or Cosworth 5-40....If you are gonna go Dino and 3-5K OCI's go with Castrol GTX or Havoline.....same weight delta's apply as to the above synthetic recommendations.....use a WIX/AC Delco or Pure1 filter.......and let her rip...
    Now I put a big disclaimer on all this shit as I'm only on my second martini...so your on your own man.....
    EDIT: Mobil 1 is overpriced donkey piss.....
    2nd EDIT: Change your oil now....2 miles...dont matter...change your oil now or your car is gonna blow up.
    Last edited by Sarge; 03-31-2006 at 03:44 PM.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Why is Mobil 1 overpriced donkey piss.....? I have been thinkin about changing to amsoil 5w-30, but I've been using Mobil 1 for about 5 years and haven't had a problem yet.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by mustang assassin
    Why is Mobil 1 overpriced donkey piss.....? I have been thinkin about changing to amsoil 5w-30, but I've been using Mobil 1 for about 5 years and haven't had a problem yet.
    Its good oil...as good as any of the semi syn/ low end ( Castrol/Valvoline ) Synthetics....just overpriced for what it is IMHO.....VOA's and UOA's are no better than most $2.00 per quart dino's....if your gonna spend $4.50-$5.00 a quart for an oil your getting much more with Amsoil/Royal Purple Racing/Schaffer/RedLine/Cosworth than Mobil1....mebbe the Donkey piss was a little over the top...nevertheless...I do not see Mobil1 worth what they get for it.....$$

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

That's cool I see what your saying. I have access to just about any brand of oil around here what would be a better brand and weight for my car?

badgoat
    I live in the maryland area .. and for now i plan on staying close to stock!! What are the best bang for the buck mods for these cars ? On my trans am a lid .. fast toys ram air .. pullies .. shifter and headers seemed like good mods to start with ... Is the cold air box worth a shit for this car ? i'll be happy with a mid 12 sec car ... It is a m6 and the shifter feels a bit sloppy, Do they make a shifter like the pro 5.0 i had in my trans am ? I miss that damn shifter = ) ... Ooo and is it ok to run synthetics right away .. my oil cap says mobil 1 on it so i assume it comes with that from the factory

shane

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by mustang assassin
    That's cool I see what your saying. I have access to just about any brand of oil around here what would be a better brand and weight for my car?
    ATI is a great lil power adder....Delaware huh.....
    Amsoil 5-40 would be a great fit.....5-30 is too thin IMHO....
    Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 or RedLine 10-30 would also be excellent choices...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I live in the maryland area .. and for now i plan on staying close to stock!! What are the best bang for the buck mods for these cars ? On my trans am a lid .. fast toys ram air .. pullies .. shifter and headers seemed like good mods to start with ... Is the cold air box worth a shit for this car ? i'll be happy with a mid 12 sec car ... It is a m6 and the shifter feels a bit sloppy, Do they make a shifter like the pro 5.0 i had in my trans am ? I miss that damn shifter = ) ... Ooo and is it ok to run synthetics right away .. my oil cap says mobil 1 on it so i assume it comes with that from the factory

shane
    Hey Shane ( That's my grandson's name )
    I think step one of these GTO's should always be a dyno tune...from there yes the LS2's react well to "breathing"....CAI and Headers reflect an excellent return on investment....long tube headers not the "shorties".....Dyno tune first.....yes your ride came with Mobil 1 5-30....

badgoat
    I guess these ls2's respond to these mods just as good as the ls1's ... I ran 10w30 amsoil in my trans am .. i guess i should do the same in this car ? I remember when i tried running 10w30 in my lightning ( HUGE MISTAKE ) i thought the cold start knock was bad .. Ha

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    ATI is a great lil power adder....Delaware huh.....
    Amsoil 5-40 would be a great fit.....5-30 is too thin IMHO....
    Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 or RedLine 10-30 would also be excellent choices...
    Yup, Delaware is my home. Easy access to the beach or mountains depending on the time of year. Your right about the ATI, It's great for showing off in front of a crowd. Thanks for the info I'll try one of those next time around.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I guess these ls2's respond to these mods just as good as the ls1's ... I ran 10w30 amsoil in my trans am .. i guess i should do the same in this car ? I remember when i tried running 10w30 in my lightning ( HUGE MISTAKE ) i thought the cold start knock was bad .. Ha
    Kenne Bell in that Lightning? Depends on what 10-30 you used...some have excellent film strength and some dont.....unless it is below like -20 below zero shouldn't make a difference at all between a 10-30/5-30/0-30....it all is the film strength.....oils like Cosworth/RedLine/Pennzoil Platinum/Royal Purple have excellent film strength...Amsoil is so so...like Mobil 1....the problem many have is they hear "cold start" noise and drop a viscosity weight.....sacrifice bearing wear for cold start "noise"......Royal Purple just kicks everybodies ass in this department....Royal Purple Racing 21 has the film strength of a 20-50 but the viscosity of a 5-30.....this is a good thing....I tore my LS1 out and made a boat anchor out of it.....402CID LQ9 iron block/LS2 heads/Forged Eagle Crank/Forged Lunati Rods/Forged Mahle Pistons/ARP bolts/Big ass breathing Cam/Headers/FAST Intake/FAST Fuel Rails/Walbro Pump/LS6 Oil Pump/NX Nitrous Nightmare/Extreme Performance Driveshaft/Built 4L65E/PI 3200 Stall/....my black bitch is in a bad mood.....On Cosworth 5-40 then Royal Purple Racing 41...UOA will tell....broke her in on Valvoline 10-40....first 45 minutes...then Castrol GTX 10-40....Then Cosworth.....UOA's will tell....pass the martini pitcher please...

badgoat
    Just the stock eaton blower with 12lbs of boost instead of 8 ... You should run 5w20 in those trucks and like ls1s they have start up knock ... I added 10w30 in the summer heat and the start up knock got really bad ... i guess those trucks like thin oil ... Is it ok to run 10w30 in my ls2 ?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Just the stock eaton blower with 12lbs of boost instead of 8 ... You should run 5w20 in those trucks and like ls1s they have start up knock ... I added 10w30 in the summer heat and the start up knock got really bad ... i guess those trucks like thin oil ... Is it ok to run 10w30 in my ls2 ?
    Absolutely.

Thread Information