Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

few ?s for GTO guys..

i been looking at this cars,,, but i do not know much about them..

i knw the 05/06 has the ls2.dual tips. 06 has different tail lights.. 05/06 has the hood sccop..
    but my questions are,,,

hows the rear end?
    whats the biggest tire you can run?on the back
    any problmes with those cars?
    is the ls2 enough to beat the 03/04 cobra?
    how much gain can get with LTs. cam, this car can get?

talking on the M6 05/06 gto...
    thanks in advance..

i saw a red one to day...it catched my eye & thoughts....
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

No 1??

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

as far as problems are you talking power-train or the car its self ??

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

general problems...
    i hear some people complain on the ls2. cylinder #6 usually gives some trouble.. but im not sure exactly what it is..
    and also rear end.. we all know fbody sux on that. and i wonder how this cars are on that

hugger orange

The stock GTO rear is a lot stronger than the 10 bolt, but nor as strong ss a 12 bolt or 9" rear, and lots of people that put gears in don't get very much of a difference out of them.....guess GM made a good choice with the 3.46:1 ratio.

That being said, I have a Ford 9" strait axle I'm going to work under mine sometime here in the future

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    i been looking at this cars,,, but i do not know much about them..

i knw the 05/06 has the ls2.dual tips. 06 has different tail lights.. 05/06 has the hood sccop..
    but my questions are,,,

hows the rear end?
    Stronger than our 7.5s but still not that strong. Also, they have more issues of being set up poorly from the factory. The guys on the GTO sites see some good gains from going to 3.91s plus you prolong the life of the rear (so they say) by flushing the fluid and re-setting up the rear to better specs. Mine at 37k miles was getting a ton of slop in it.

whats the biggest tire you can run?on the back
    any problmes with those cars?
    I had 275/40/17s with no issue and they were drag radials which sometimes run a little wider than normal tires. Still would say put some drag bags in the rear. Two hours and $100 later and no more rear sag, wheel hop is helped, and you dont accidentally rub a tire on the edge of the 1/4 panel.

is the ls2 enough to beat the 03/04 cobra?
    Not most of the time because the GTO has a lot of trouble with 99% of drivers at the track. The IRS is very unforgiving on these cars. Some have ran 12s but not all. Most are low 13s though with little issues.

how much gain can get with LTs. cam, this car can get?
    Depends on your goals and what you are looking for. The LS2 responds well to that stuff just like the LS1 does.

talking on the M6 05/06 gto...
    thanks in advance..

i saw a red one to day...it catched my eye & thoughts....[/QUOTE]

They are more comfy, dont creek near as much, better ride, 10,000 times better interior, seats are fantastic, and the doors dont make that sound like they are going to fall off.

Nice cars.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

thanks everyone for the replies...

i have heard the biggest tire is the 275/40/xx but with any modification is it possible to go wider?/

back in 07 or 08 i had oportunitty to get a brand new 06 red, i went with dodge on the R/T instead, i love the GTO but it was an auto, lately i been thinking on getting a used one, it has to be an 06 M6 black or red, but im still thinking about since the insurance is very expensive for me,
    if i get one ill just keep it stock or probably LTs and a fat tire in the back,

when i had the chance to get the GTO i was talking about, my friend bout it, he still has it, i drove it the car has power but i coudnt do a burnout on the car for some reason,
    whe it was on the D the car was lowered on the back and the tire almost hitting the fender.. why is that on those cars?

phantom black
    06 gto

From what i have been told GTOs when in drive preload and drop for better traction.It bugged me out for a while when i got mine until i read it somewhere on here.Can't say i have any problems doin burnouts tho

British racing green
    01 vx hsv gts c4b

Your gto is the same drive line as my gts sedan the IRS if you replace the diff cover with a harrop item fit a camber caster kit you will get the power to the ground with a decent cam Otr and exhaust you can get 11's in them some have run high 10's we have cars running 9's n/a manual

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have a Harrop cover in mine and run 275-35-18 Nitto NT555s on the rear. And I also agree with the rearend being an issue(on my 4th now). So far, I have no issues. I love my car even though it's an 04. It still pushes me into the seat when I stab the go pedal. So far, the Nittos haven't rubbed on the rear quarters.

Ray Charles blue

Reason the rear squats is the cheap ass springs used in production and they were strapped down for a long while on the boat over here.

The rears on some GTOs rub with 275s and other dont. Its a crap shoot. The automatic GTOs come with the 3.46 gears as well vs the 2.73 and 3.23s in the auto F-body cars.

Thread Information