98 Formula
    06 duramax

f-body rims on a goat?

I want to let my brother borrow my drag radials to take to the track in a couple of weeks. I read an article a while back where it was popular for people to run 17" f-body rims at the track. I have 16's though, I'm thinking it would still work. Anyone done this or heard of it being done? If not I'll post up how it went. We're going to swap all 4 over.

Pulse Red
    04 Pontiac

I know the backs will bolt right up... what size drag radial are you running? I run 245/50/16 nittos on f-body wheels. I dont think the fronts will work?
    Steve

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgoat View Post
    I know the backs will bolt right up... what size drag radial are you running? I run 245/50/16 nittos on f-body wheels. I dont think the fronts will work?
    Steve
    same size....245/50/16. The only reason I'd like to get the fronts on there is to keep the abs from going ape shit on the ride to the track. I'm not sure what the offsets are of each wheel but I can find out. He has 18's on his goat. Might look a little retarded but the dr's will definitely hook better than his stockers.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Do they have the proper offset?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm going to have to search around some more. I found everything except what I need to know. I know the stock offset on the gto 17's is 48mm but don't know the offset on the 18's. Also know the stock offset on 17 f-body wheels is 50mm but I have 16's. So basically I didn't figure out anything yet. I worry about the brakes fitting on my rims, the 05 got upgraded brakes correct? No big deal. I'll try it and if it don't work then it don't work.

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

17" fit perfect in back. 16" also fit nicely. My Dad ran 16" with 245 drag radials and never had a problem on his '05 GTO. I've had WS6 wheels on the back of mine with no problems either.

Brakes are the same in the rear except the rotors are vented for the LS2.

rednari
    Fbody wheels should work if they have the correct offset. First, Fbody wheels are 4.75x5 while the GTO's are 120x5, or 4.72x5. Do not sweat the .003 difference. It is not a rod bearing clearance but instead wheel clearance issue, and the Fbody bolt pattern fits cleanly on our hubs.

Second, if you have no less than 38mm and no more than 45mm of positiive offset on the front rims, the wheels should fit without tire strut rub. On the rear, positive offset should be: 51mm to 56mm to clear both the inside wheel housing and the outside fender (quarter panel).

If the set you intend to use does not fall within these specs, then shims, aka spacers, may be used to adjust offsets if such offsets are too negative. Excessive positive offsets lead to fender rolling etc., since the wheel mounts to far out and starts to touch the fender.

You can obtain 3mm, 1/8", etc., 4.75x5 shims from Summit or Jegs and adjust the wheel outward as necessary. For instance, if you had a set of 45mm offset rims, such rims would fit the front without fitment issues and require 7mms of spacing to position the rear wheel within specs.

Conversely, if you had a set of expensive or otherwise nice rims which were say 56mm positive offset, those rims would bolt to the rear but stick out to far on the front. There are machine shops which can take 14mm off the inside of the hub so it will fit on the front, provided the hub is beefy enough.

Pontiac OEMs are same size rims, 17x40mm by 8", so the rims will fit on all corners. You, want a staggered set up of 51-56mm on the rear and 40mm on the front to avoid rubbing. If you stay within these specs, 8" wheels will fit the front and 9" on the rear of almost any diameter except 15 which may touch the calipers.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    Fbody wheels should work if they have the correct offset. First, Fbody wheels are 4.75x5 while the GTO's are 120x5, or 4.72x5. Do not sweat the .003 difference. It is not a rod bearing clearance but instead wheel clearance issue, and the Fbody bolt pattern fits cleanly on our hubs.

Second, if you have no less than 38mm and no more than 45mm of positiive offset on the front rims, the wheels should fit without tire strut rub. On the rear, positive offset should be: 51mm to 56mm to clear both the inside wheel housing and the outside fender (quarter panel).

If the set you intend to use does not fall within these specs, then shims, aka spacers, may be used to adjust offsets if such offsets are too negative. Excessive positive offsets lead to fender rolling etc., since the wheel mounts to far out and starts to touch the fender.

You can obtain 3mm, 1/8", etc., 4.75x5 shims from Summit or Jegs and adjust the wheel outward as necessary. For instance, if you had a set of 45mm offset rims, such rims would fit the front without fitment issues and require 7mms of spacing to position the rear wheel within specs.

Conversely, if you had a set of expensive or otherwise nice rims which were say 56mm positive offset, those rims would bolt to the rear but stick out to far on the front. There are machine shops which can take 14mm off the inside of the hub so it will fit on the front, provided the hub is beefy enough.

Pontiac OEMs are same size rims, 17x40mm by 8", so the rims will fit on all corners. You, want a staggered set up of 51-56mm on the rear and 40mm on the front to avoid rubbing. If you stay within these specs, 8" wheels will fit the front and 9" on the rear of almost any diameter except 15 which may touch the calipers.
    thanks for the info....... I just have to find the offset for the stock 16" f-body rims and see what it is.

Nero
    2006 gto

Damn, red. You just saved me a whole mess of problems, thanks a bunch!

rednari
    No problem guys. Thats what the forum is for. To help each other out and to have a common knowledge pool. Whenever you have something worthwhile, feel free to weigh in and post the info.

Pulse Red
    04 Pontiac

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    No problem guys. Thats what the forum is for. To help each other out and to have a common knowledge pool. Whenever you have something worthwhile, feel free to weigh in and post the info.
    This site is the shit! Its Dublin, Dr Pepper good.

Thread Information