Thread: Exhaust Advice

Impulse Blue Metallic
    2004 GTO

Exhaust Advice

I am switching my 04 GTO to the 05 bumper and I want to put on the split dual exhaust (05-06 OEM look). I was thinking of JBA catted mid pipes and exhaust. So here is the list of questions:

1) Does this system have a decent fit?
    2) How do I remove the 02 sensors from the stock midpipes? I realize they are threaded but does the top part of the connector detach? I dont want to twist the wires.
    3) With just this mod and a K&N CAI do I need to worry about ignition or a new thermostat?
    4) I also wanted to use the diablo predator for the basic premium fuel tune. Would this pose any problems?

Thanks for the help.

1) They all will have some issues.
    2) If memory serves..there is aprox.4" of wire on the 02's. you should be able to see the connections.
    3) No
    4) No

Impulse Blue Metallic
    2004 GTO

Thanks for the help! Its nice to hear from those with experience.

Good luck with the conversion. Let us know how it turns out.
    '06 M6 GTO (Redrum)
    Comp 228/232
    SW LT's
    GMM Ripper
    JHP Pod
    C.A.I. Air Box
    HPS Tuned
    421rwhp/401rwtq

Impulse Blue Metallic
    2004 GTO

I finished the exhaust change over on Friday. I went with 05 JBA catted midpipes and the JBA 05/06 cat back exhaust. Due to the change over I ran into some issues with hangers so I took it to an exhaust shop and they hung and welded everything up for me. THe driver side tip sticks out about a 1/2 inch more than the passenger side, but otherwise a very nice fit.

The JBA sounds great. Nice and mellow, but when you put your foot into it there is a very powerful sound. I was definitely looking for a medium, mellow tone for routine driving. I like the loud muscular exhaust, but not on my vehicle. I like a quiet cab when cruising down the highway.

I installed the K&N 57 series after the exhaust and the two combined have led to a noticable improvement. The biggest change is in the throttle response. It is a very fun car to drive.

I am really happy with the new (used 05) bumper cover and split rear exhaust. A very nice look. I am going to keep the stock 04 hood. I just like the sleeper look.

THe weather is getting crappy here so I will wait to install the predator tune. After that, some new chromed rims and I will be all set with the mod's. THanks again for the help.

Sweet! Glad it worked out for you.
    Uuhhh, but good luck avoiding the mod bug......Its a very highly contagious disease.

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO

Did you have any problems running the pipes out the back, I am looking to do the same on my 04, if so please give me advice. Thank you

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I had my exhaust custom made with stainless for less than any aftermarket system out there. Top quality welds/bends/fit and performance/sound.
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Impulse Blue Metallic
    2004 GTO

Going with the JBA 05 split system, and the OEM 2005 Pontiac Rear Bumper cover (taken off totaled 05) the exhaust came out both openings without any issue. I messed around with the pipes and was able to get both tips sticking out just about the same distance. The driver side sticks out maybe a 1/4" more (at the most) than the passenger side.

I did have to take some time to center both tips horizontally and vertically (just to please my eye). The driver side uses two rubber mounts. I ended up taking the outside rubber mount off (left the inner rubber mount attached) and tieing the factory brace to the exhaust hanger to get everything centered. On the passenger side there is a threaded hole right above the exit which makes a good anchor point for an exhaust hanger.

Overall I am very pleased with the JBA Catt'd mid pipes and split exhaust. The sound is mellow, and I have noticed an improved throttle response. I called around looking for a shop to do custom exhaust and they all recommended an aftermarket system. If you know of a good shop that will do this work than as Sarge stated it would be a good idea. I was amazed at how many "fit" kinks are present in the OEM midpipes and exhaust. Hope this helps.

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO

Thanks for the advice, I did notice very odd kinks in the factory system,does that have alot to do with the throttle responce?

black
    04 gto

i put flowmaster system on my 04 3 inch both out 1 side i love the look and the sound

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by mac428 View Post
    i put flowmaster system on my 04 3 inch both out 1 side i love the look and the sound
    Do you have pic?????

Thread Information