Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Engine Torque Stiffy

Well stock motor or modified motor the OEM motor mounts flex all to hell. This causes a "delay" in getting the torque to the driveline. Worse is the shock to the driveline when it does quit twisting and reaches its maximum flex and starts delivering the revs to the driveline. This is a major cause of "wheel hop" in our cars by the way..... We want instant torque. We shall have it.
    So for many GTO owners (04-06) we have installed poly motor mounts. Some have also modified their trannie mount with windshield "poly glue" to stiffen the engine/trannie and stop all this flexing. Motor mounts are a PITA to replace IMHO but worse than that they will shake the enamel off your fucking teeth. Car shakes all to hell. Some worse than others but nevertheless it transfers the motor vibration to the chassis through the poly mounts.
    Back in the day many of us chained our motors down. We literally bolted a chain to the drivers side head and then to the chassis. This stopped the engine from twisting towards the passengers side and gave us instant torque along with a giant woody. It worked. But the down side was it tried like hell to pull your drivers side head off the motor And often times would loosen the head bolts on the drivers side head over time. Ricers in lil turbo/nitrous Honda's and Toyota's have been using Ingalls Stiffy's for some times to kill this torque flex. It bolts to the passenger side head and then to the chassis. This pushes against the motor versus pulling. I help quite a few kids in this area work on their cars and I can tell you the "Stiffy" works and doesn't have the downside of the chain method. Well Ingalls finally made a kit for the GTO. So I got one and installed it. Sum bitch. What a difference. Instant torque. No engine flex. Easy install. Quality and stout as a sum bitch.
    First install the motor bracket. You guys with batteries up front will need to remove your battery. I have a rear mounted battery but do have the electrical connections and a vacuum reserve cannister where the battery used to be so that is the crap you are seeing I had to get all of that out of the way. I have a catch can and it poses no issues whatsoever fyi.

Pull of the passenger side wheel and drill 3 holes for the two brackets on the chassis. At first I thought this may be flimsy as the fender metal is thin as hell. But where they put it (the chassis bracket) it goes right in a seam and that is stout as hell. Also when you bolt the inner and outer brackets it is not ever going anywhere.

Here is the outer bracket. Man look at them new Monroe struts and Pedders springs will ya

Install the "shock absorber" between the two brackets. Clean it up. Re-install whatever you took out ...

Fire that bitch up and roll. I will tell you.....stock or modified this mod makes you grin. Instant torque. No vibration. Cheap and easy to do. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Sarge; 01-19-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here is the company....you may check on the 05 and 06 GTO's being different than the 04's. I didn't ask about 05/06 GTO's when I got this one for my 04. I know 05 and 6's are different over there on the passenger side fender well. I dunno....just be sure and check with them....
    http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/ETD/stiffy.htm

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

thanks as always nice write up,ill be getting me one of those,with my new 408 going in and the boost increasing,im sure I will need all the help I can muster.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

That is a 408 Stroker iron block your looking at
    Man the power is instant. If I was one of these M6 guys with wheel hop. This is the first mod I would do.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

By the way I bought it from Jim....
    http://gravanatuning.com/0/2/430/432..._category.html

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    That is a 408 Stroker iron block your looking at
    Man the power is instant. If I was one of these M6 guys with wheel hop. This is the first mod I would do.
    mine is a ls2 derived 408,I emailed them guys about the stiffy they only have them for the ls1 04 GTO...ARGH.....
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

So what would this actually translate into ... improved 60?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    So what would this actually translate into ... improved 60?
    yes better control on launch ,less wheel hop we used to chain the damn motors,if they dont sell one ill make my own..works,like was said before the stock mounts even with stock cam motor sits and shakes around alot,when you nail the car motor wants to go one way drive train the other.sarge said it works great,good enough for me.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    yes better control on launch ,less wheel hop we used to chain the damn motors,if they dont sell one ill make my own..works,like was said before the stock mounts even with stock cam motor sits and shakes around alot,when you nail the car motor wants to go one way drive train the other.sarge said it works great,good enough for me.

Now you know I don't need better control on launch and don't have wheel hop. lol So will it actually improve rear wheel torque by reducing loss?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

every lil bit helps,ask Sarge hes got one ...im sure he will post up the results.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah your quicker. You lose time as your motor loads up the motor mounts before 100% of your engine torque is going down the driveline. With the stiffy/poly motor mounts either one you gain back the time it takes the motor to load up the mounts/stop the motor twisting and send that torque down your driveline. I played pretty hard today and it is a noticeable launch difference. It just jumps out from under you....really made a difference....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    mine is a ls2 derived 408,I emailed them guys about the stiffy they only have them for the ls1 04 GTO...ARGH.....
    No shit.....that surprises me.....tell em you'll fab a bracket and give them the specs if they send you the shock/dampner for free.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

But no welding ...LOL...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

So i'm surfing around and have found this for as low as $147...Jim's got it for 179.99 on his site. He price matches right?

Also why remove the battery? Ingalls site shows it installed with the battery in place. My question would be my catch can is mounted there. http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/ETD/93031.htm

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

http://www.prostreetonline.com/s/eng...que-damper.asp

on the above link it says the ingalls one works for 04-06 if you scroll down and find the GTO on the list...I'd really like to try this. do you think this could drop a tenth in the 1/4 or not that much help?
    2006 IBM GTO A4
    20% sides/rear 35% Windshield,SAP Repos,Ruff 278s Staggered 18s,LT's,Catless mids,Spintech Mufflers/X pipe,Torquer v.2,Vig3200 Stall,HPTuned,AEM CAI,SLP Thermostat,IAT relocate,BMR Drag bags, P4000DVD HU.

2000 TA WS6 NBM A4 Full Bolt-Ons-Gone

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

No shit.....that surprises me.....tell em you'll fab a bracket and give them the specs if they send you the shock/dampner for free.
    lol I did...I can weld just not stainless or aluminum...well not with mig will soon with tig...

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by bgable View Post
    http://www.prostreetonline.com/s/eng...que-damper.asp

on the above link it says the ingalls one works for 04-06 if you scroll down and find the GTO on the list...I'd really like to try this. do you think this could drop a tenth in the 1/4 or not that much help?
    heres the email i received....Subject: RE: stiffy

Unfortunately when we designed this in 2003-04 the changed the position of many components under the hood and that kit will only fit the 2004.
    they made a 03 GTO ...humm what the hell ...maybe something called a UTE ...anyways im not giving up Ill fab something and I will get some results for you guyz..give me a few months..theres way more 05-06 cars out there then 03-04s lmao

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Yeah your quicker. You lose time as your motor loads up the motor mounts before 100% of your engine torque is going down the driveline. With the stiffy/poly motor mounts either one you gain back the time it takes the motor to load up the mounts/stop the motor twisting and send that torque down your driveline. I played pretty hard today and it is a noticeable launch difference. It just jumps out from under you....really made a difference....
    we want track times,not some butt metor..lol

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You GTO guys got all the cool shit

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    So i'm surfing around and have found this for as low as $147...Jim's got it for 179.99 on his site. He price matches right?

Also why remove the battery? Ingalls site shows it installed with the battery in place. My question would be my catch can is mounted there. http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/ETD/93031.htm
    Yeah I'm sure Jim will price match. No you misunderstood...you just have to remove your battery to install the Stiffy...then reinstall it If you go back through my write up I also have a catch can and specifically say it is no problem as i know many have CC's.... Look at my pics...catch can and stiffy both there....

Thread Information