Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    09 G8 GT

Question Driving the GTO all year round...

How many do this, and/or would recommend for or against it? I know its early and not even Summer yet but I want to get opinions and ideas for what to do, since this car will most likely be my DD all year round.

The stuff I'd need to do to winterize costs a lot, and for the same $$ I MIGHT be able to save for an old jeep or something, but then I gotta do plate and insurance transfer, find a place to store the GTO, STILL do *some* stuff to winterize etc....
    so far I'm thinking around this Oct/Nov:
    replace the Direzzas w/ 4 dedicated snow/ice tires (blizzak, X-Ice, Winterforce)
    1)Oil change w/ Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (using Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 now)
    2)Dex-cool drain/flush/fill @ dealer
    3)good few coats of Caranuba wax
    4)touchfree(laser)wash w. undercarriage every week, maybe twice a week
    5) Car cover for snow
    6)rubber floor mats

...any advice either way? I did just get a Napa gold 65 battery put in so thats good-Upstate NY isnt TOO bad, it gets cold & can be hit w/ nasty snow at times but its not Northern Canada or anything

Nero
    2006 gto

Ive got a 2006 M6 and I drive it year round in RI, where we have HORRIBLE roads and incompetant plowers. Your best bet is to just drive it really carefully when the pavement is icy or covered in snow or slush. I kept my car covered whenever I wasnt driving it, kept the tires inflated good, and made sure to let her warm up for anywhere between 2 and 10 minutes before driving. Main point though is BE CAREFUL when driving on roads that are anything other than dry and clean. All that money spent on winterizing doesnt do any good if your car is in an accident.

White
    09 G8 GT

Oh def, I figured that was a given lol....keep T/C on @ all times and feather the gas....I dont need to spin out or anything, I doubt I'd even take it on the highway unless I HAD to

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I drive mine all year round. Take it easy as well. I don't have garage or car cover but when I warm up my car it seems to melt the ice by itself. Only had mine a lil over a year and managed to rack up the miles(bought with 48,848 and now has 65k) but IMO it is worth it. To me these cars are fun to drive in the white stuff. Only time I got stuck was in my work parking lot when my boss didn't plow. But I got myself out after all. I stay away from the highways and steep hills as well.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

White
    09 G8 GT

Interesting. Any recommendations on good studless snow/ice tires?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Dunlop Winter Sport M3

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I drive it year round as well. Got stuck this year in 2 ft of snow but I was the first down the road and snow was dragging the bottom trying to get up a huge hill. Did fine so long as it wasn't plowing the bottom.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Dunlop Winter Sport M3
    One of my buddies uses those on his 05 and has no complaints.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

I've been sheer ice on an over pass up and down stretching about 1/4 miles and never lost it. Feather the gas and you'll be safe. Same holds true in the rain because once they let go they're gone...

As far snow - the winters here in Michigan were pretty dry until this year and I've got 99 grand marquis now, so I can't speak to sonw.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

I feel for you all, when I lived in Houston we had a little ice strorm and we went home early. A friend went with me because he didn't want to drive his vette and in 20 miles we got hit 3 times but I had a truck with a heavy duty bumper and thank God all were rear ends. People down there don't know how to drive in ice or snow. I used to live in RI and had no problems, main thing take it slow and leave room and keep it washed underneath. I really do feel for you it's a lot of extra trouble!

Nero
    2006 gto

RI !@#$ing sucks total ass. The roads suck, no one knows how to drive, and jackasses dont drop the plow lower than 3 inches off the ground. I want to shoot everyone in the RI DOT, theyre incompetent fools.
    End of rant.
    Anyone without a gun and a knife and a handkerchief and a chapstick get the F%$# out of here!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    I feel for you all, when I lived in Houston we had a little ice strorm and we went home early. A friend went with me because he didn't want to drive his vette and in 20 miles we got hit 3 times but I had a truck with a heavy duty bumper and thank God all were rear ends. People down there don't know how to drive in ice or snow. I used to live in RI and had no problems, main thing take it slow and leave room and keep it washed underneath. I really do feel for you it's a lot of extra trouble!
    lol... Drivers around here are way to aggressive. It snows once every 5-10 years it seems, and nobody understands that they can't tailgate 3 ft behind someone going over a bridge. Dumbassess.....

hugger orange

I wish we would get a good snow here. even when the big storm hit north to south east somehow it missed our town but snowed all around us. we got an inch or so here and there but I rememberwent I was younger we would get atleast one storm a year witha foot plus.........i really want to take the kids sledding.
    dry snow has not been a problem for my car, its the slush that got me kinda stuck a few times this year.....had to try a few runs at a 4way stop down the road from my house, 3rd time I got a run at it and made it through

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This thread makes me remember the storms of the 90s when we had like 4 feet of snow.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    This thread makes me remember the storms of the 90s when we had like 4 feet of snow.
    i think the last good one here was 95/96 we got both one big snow storm (over 2 foot), then a few weeks later over 4 inches of ice

Nero
    2006 gto

Thank God for global warming....oh wait, no, thank Al Gore.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    i think the last good one here was 95/96 we got both one big snow storm (over 2 foot), then a few weeks later over 4 inches of ice
    Yup. That be them.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

lol... Drivers around here are way to aggressive. It snows once every 5-10 years it seems, and nobody understands that they can't tailgate 3 ft behind someone going over a bridge. Dumbassess..... Yea glad I don't have to put up with that any more!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Thank God for global warming....oh wait, no, thank Al Gore.
    F Al Gore and his Global warning.....it has been cold as hell this winter here and we hardly got snow, lots of wind, but no snow.........oh wait, they aren't calling it Global warming any more......now it to be refered to as Global calamities!!!!!! LMFAO I F'in hate Al Gore!

Nero
    2006 gto

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    F Al Gore and his Global warning.....it has been cold as hell this winter here and we hardly got snow, lots of wind, but no snow.........oh wait, they aren't calling it Global warming any more......now it to be refered to as Global calamities!!!!!! LMFAO I F'in hate Al Gore!
    How DARE you Mark!! If it wasnt for Al Gore we wouldnt have the internet, let alone this website. Who do you think invented the environment? So what if An Inconvenient Truth had somthing like 400 factual errors? By this point, you should be able to tell Im being quite sarcastic. Al should go hunting with Dick Cheney some time. Hell, Cheney should take the new cabinet out....for a day of hunting...

Thread Information