Thread: DAMN Wheel hop!

silver
    2004 gto

DAMN Wheel hop!

here it is i was out cruising and i saw a dodge r/t magnum and they guy wanted to race me and he told me he how full exhaust, intake and some computer work and he asked to race me and i did so we lined up at a light and i rev'd the gto up to 3 and then the wheels just kept on hoping i was pissed becuz it never happened before and once i wanted to have a good race i couldn't so tmw im buying a sway bar and some drag bags and hoping it will go away becuz on a roll i had the r/t. well i just thought i would share this with u tell me if the sway bar and the drag bags will help or if i need more.

thanks

black, and black
    04 M6

bags

get the drag bags from ebay, and noltec differential bushing insert, i have no wheel hop at all, just spin now, but no wheel hop at all trust me you shoudl be able to get bioth those for 150

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

dumb question: whats wheel hop?

black, and black
    04 M6

wheel hop

wheel hop is a con of the irs, when a large ammount of torque is applied the rear cant stay centered good and it twist and the car starts bumping up and down on the bump stops, at least thats how it does on the gto's

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    wheel hop is a con of the irs, when a large ammount of torque is applied the rear cant stay centered good and it twist and the car starts bumping up and down on the bump stops, at least thats how it does on the gto's
    ohh i see... yea i had a feeling it had to do with the irs. so solid axel rears dont ever have wheel hop?

black, and black
    04 M6

wheel hop

no they do to, just much more common in high horsepower rear wheel irs
    i had a friend whos truck would wheel hop like crazzy back when i was younger
    04 blk/blk m6, K&N fipk, slp MAF, 85mm tb/bypass, UD pully factory chrome wheels 255 rears245 fronts B&M tinted windows ws6 hood D/S rotors diablo sport slp II long tubes custom exahust no cats, no res, battery relocate cust. skid plate 160 t stat 85mm fast intake drag bags

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I only really get wheel hop when i hit a bump in the road while getting on it a little, never from just launching

black, and black
    04 M6

wheel hop

cause u have a solid straight axle with a limited slip diff, its mostly from irs and open diff vechicles

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

I had it bad, tore out 2rear ends because of it, I went with bmr soild drive-shaft, and the harrop rear diff cover virtually elimated it. I also put on bmr sfc's and half-shafts and axel stubs, Now thats a ton of $, but I have NO wheel hop now. If you do get the $ I'd atleast go with the harrop rear dif cover, and the drag bags for $100 should take care of the problem, But if you get the $450 for the dif cover it's worth it..
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

black, and black
    04 M6

wheel hop

i wanted the cover, but i went with the diff insert bushing first then the drag bags the diff bushing helped a lil, but teh drag bag elimanted it. and ive only got about $150 in both of them i researched, sway bar, bags, shocks, diff bushing, cradle bushing's, diff cover. in the end i went with bushing inset and drag bags, seemed liek the most cost effective way to fix it. but what ever floats your boat, with the cover u get more fluid compacity and a fined rear cover to aid in cooling which i would like to have

silver
    2004 gto

how hard is it to install the diff cover? And how long? I dont think its a bad price but I just want the power there on the road? Another ?in what do u luach on
    like as in do u have traction control on or off when u luach off the line??

quick silver
    2005 GTO

get the drag bags from ebay, and noltec differential bushing insert, i have no wheel hop at all, just spin now, but no wheel hop at all trust me you shoudl be able to get bioth those for 150
    Drag bags actually made my wheel hop worse at the track. Driving around on the street I can burn the tires off all day no wheel hop but soon as I hit the track its violent as hell. Still running 12s in my GTO but I think could shave a 1/10th of a second off getting ride of the wheel hop

black, and black
    04 M6

wheel hop

hum i wouldnt have thought that but anything os possible i guess u need a diff cover then and or sway bar

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

cause u have a solid straight axle with a limited slip diff, its mostly from irs and open diff vechicles
    I know i was just partialing answereing ATcharmings statement about do solid axles get wheel hop too.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Do a search I've had a Thread with the same issue.

I didn't get the violent hop until the 3.91's got installed.
    The BMR bags will help greatly! What tires are you running also?

The car did 1.68-1.65 60' with the stock gears,convertor,and stock cam. Then with the wheel hop it went into the mid 1.5's pedaling it due to deathly wheel hop. The best I got out of it was 11.23 @ 121. I had to pulse the nitrous to shake the wheel hop but kept the motor WFO so I know it would of broke into the 10's if I could of beat the wheel hop. Not used to IRS!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

silver
    2004 gto

hey if someone wants to buy a Harrop Enduro IRS Differential Cover 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
    they are $250 on this site

http://www.strippermotorsports.com/haenirsdico2.html

i no theres people that said they paid $450 and i just picked one up

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by slpgto2004 View Post
    hey if someone wants to buy a Harrop Enduro IRS Differential Cover 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
    they are $250 on this site

http://www.strippermotorsports.com/haenirsdico2.html

i no theres people that said they paid $450 and i just picked one up
    If you look @ the bottom of that link you'll see the "good" one for $449. That is the one I have, the one you are referring too looks like a cheaper version. looks like it mounts much the same as stock, not much help there. Sorry but in most cases you get what you pay for

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Here is one for $429 @LPE.
    Yes that link is for a stock mount type which your really only gaining the added fluid and maybe a little less flexing in the cover.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/99-acvr6824-00.html

silver
    2004 gto

thanks guys lucky me i ordered it online so ill just cancel it then. thanks

Thread Information