Thread: Crazy Gauges

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Crazy Gauges

Went through this about 3-4 years ago....Pontiac replaced the entire gauge cluster and no problems since.....yesterday....they went whacky again.....turned off the car and restarted and all is fine again.....
    Did some reading ( in between all the ads ) and found...
    1. Some say if you put it in gear and take off before the DIC cycles it may cause this.
    2. I have the XXXXX19XX versus the "new" X19XXXX something or the other. In other words the flashed software I have is old...and they have new software.....
    I am curious/worried about Pontiac flashing shit......I have way too much in tuning for some guy to accidentally fubar my tune......so my question is this....
    I wonder if this was a one off thing and I wont have any issues for another 3-4 years and so I do nothing? Can the guys flash the new software for the gauges without hammering my custom SD tune? I mean isnt it just the BCM being updated? Or the IPC should I say.....

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My personal opinion...stay away from the dealer. I have a tuned car as well and I don't wanna risk my baby getting damaged by the techs possibly pushing one wrong button.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

My cars a Dec 2003 build and acording to the TSB I just needed to be reflashed after a few episodes of gauges gone wild. So I did have the reflash done back in 2004 or 2005. Since then I had the bogus temperature problem occur a few times but not in the last 2 years. So the original reflash didn't fix everything. my version # is 001.000.009

My guess is that you're safe to have it reflashed. Should have zero in common with your tune.
    Last edited by GTO1_OHIO; 02-16-2009 at 06:14 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah I went by and spoke with the tech....he assures me he in no way can even get into my tune.....so I'm gonna have them reflash the gauges and dim that fricking MPH spotlight

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well, this is good to know. I have to get my gauge cluster replaced under warranty and I was kinda iffy about the dealer going through the comp and deleting my tune. But now I know when I get my car back, it will be like it was before I gave it to the dealer. And believe me, I was worried.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think you would be fine but if not I'm sure Nelson has your tune backed up over there. Might want to check with him beforehand just in case but you should be fine.

hugger orange

my speedo reads 0, till I get to about 10mph, then works but jumps back and forth from 20-30mph causing the car to up and down shift till I get upto around 35mph.....real pain driving it around town. is this the gauges doing it, or is it the vss? I hate to pay $32 for the sensor if I don't need it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that sounds more like the vss than the gauges...the tranny gets readings from the vss for shifting and not from the gauge.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that sounds more like the vss than the gauges...the tranny gets readings from the vss for shifting and not from the gauge.
    ok thanks! that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. guess I'll order the vss

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I have had similar issues after first tune ,since I have gotten HPtuners always have found a way to fix shit,id take it apart clean the sensor and put back on ,unhook battery and let car relearn itself,that used to work for me,seems always something,but battery issues have reaked havic on these cars,check voltage in battery,I know i have posted this but weirder things have happen.If I were closer id help you out we could save your tune and go from there,process of elimination.damn cars..

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup...Pontiac reflashed it....no problems.....

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

These gto's are some fluky assed cars. So far, all of my 04's flukes have come back to my favor though. In order of occurance -

1.Phanthom horn honking. Still does it @ once every 3 months.
    2.Gauges gone wild - once.
    3.Pass. side door lock actuator went gimp.I put it back in sync and it worked fine so far.
    4.Headlights stayed on (while set on auto). I found out that because I opened my door before I shut the car off was the cause.I never used auto lights after that.
    5.My gear selector (a4) light went out. I put the smack down on the console and it came back on.
    6.Trunk latch (U) bolt loosened and the trunk would'nt pop open. I removed the bolt- put on a lock washer-readjusted and never happened again.

From what I've read from others, I consider myself very lucky.
    Last edited by GOT1GOAT; 02-22-2009 at 11:38 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I know the fix for #4 because I had it happen to mine. Clean that switch in the door jam. I cleaned that switch and cured my problems and my lights are always in auto.

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I know the fix for #4 because I had it happen to mine. Clean that switch in the door jam. I cleaned that switch and cured my problems and my lights are always in auto.
    Good tip there Orion and I'm going to do that even though I most likely will never use the auto feature again. Not something that I really utilize anyway.
    I'm lazy but not that lazy. No inference that those who do are lazy intended.

Thread Information