Black
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Cracked oil pan.....

I'm driving down the road when all of a sudden, the truck in front of me kicks a broken piece of curb in the middle of the road. F-ME. I can hear it rolling down there, and it sticks with me. So I pull over to asses some of the damage. 02 sensor is knocked out, thats no biggie. I get home and up on the ramps, and there it is. An oil leak coming from the skid plate, and then another thing, my driver side header has a gash in it too and both cats have damage on them. WORST NIGHT EVER!!!!

So I get to pulling things apart. I remove the skid plate and there it is, staring me right in the face with oil still coming out. A cracked oil pan. A bunch of hairline cracks but enough to give me a heart attack.

Time to get to work. I unbolted the oil pan completely and am now, yes 520am in Houston, getting everything loose when I realize that there is no way this oil pan is coming out. Does anyone have a how to on removing an oil pan on an Ls2????

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a new one from GM, but will I even be able to get the pan out, or do I need an engine lift? What do I do??? Considering a mechaning for this one. That would be another bullet right there....:-(

Anyone able to give some direction?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You are gonna have to unbolt the motor mounts and raise the motor off the mounts and unbolt the pan from the block. Maybe you can have the headers welded to avoid replacements? You're gonna need to replace the skid plate as well.

Just some advice when doing work on the cheap.

black
    02 ss camaro

Why not contact your insurance co. and get the repairs covered under road hazzard,assuming you have full coverage.

Yellow
    2005 GTO M6 - One of 498

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    Why not contact your insurance co. and get the repairs covered under road hazzard,assuming you have full coverage.
    Good suggestion importhater...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

True. Insurance pays for the repairs and labor while you rest up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....that's what insurance is for. Tell the the block was still rolling when you hit it though. Learned that a couple of years ago. Hit a truckers tire in the road and because it was just laying in the road and not moving I got hit for my collision deductible instead of a comprehensive which didn't have a deductible.

Black
    2005 Pontiac GTO

I spoke to my insurance agent and they said I will have to pay the deductible, but atleast it is under comprehensive coverage and it will not raise my rates. So my car is in the shop now. I'll post some pix of it later. SAD SAD SAD........

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

It may be sad, but at least you won't have to worry about all the work YOU would have to do for something that wasn't your fault.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by civenegas85 View Post
    I spoke to my insurance agent and they said I will have to pay the deductible, but atleast it is under comprehensive coverage and it will not raise my rates. So my car is in the shop now. I'll post some pix of it later. SAD SAD SAD........
    looking at this all wrong....the glass is half full. Had that of knocked a hole in there instead of a crack and you drove it home and ran out of oil halfway there that would be sad sad sad. You're insured so the hit isn't near what it could've been. I feel you're pretty lucky.

Thread Information