Thread: Buying a 04 GTO

Buying a 04 GTO

Hey everyone hopefully I'm posting in the right place. New to the forums. Anyways I'm looking at an 04 5.7 GTO black 6 speed. They are asking 10k and it has just 85,xxx miles on it. The dealership I'm getting it from is currently fixing the carrier barring I believe. Not sure they said they are fixing the driveshaft. Just wanting to know if it's a good buy. Car fax check out scoring an 81. I do believe they will take less I have cash. So give me your thoughts please and thank you.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I love my 04 Goat a4. You have some issues with the driveline and that could be due to abuse and/or racing. Have the engine gone over and a compression check done. What mods does it have. Check the fluids and if the clutch and brake fluids are not light in color then have them flush both systems. 10k is not a bad price but make sure you know what you are buying.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

98 Formula
    06 duramax

At those prices I could definitely see me back in a low mileage 04 at some point. I loved mine. They just don't haul 5th wheel campers worth a shit so it had to go. Like Keith said.....have it gone over to make sure it hasn't been beat to death. Check the inside of the passenger front tire for strut rub and ask to see the service records if it's a GM dealer. Look and see if the door lock actuators have been replaced.

Awesome guys I really appreciate your input. The car is bone stock. They ended up getting it from a car auction. It looks like it has had 4 previous owners. Could I post a pic of the car fax? Maybe give u guys a better look at it's life? Looks like it has been going from lot to lot. But I'm not sure. I'll absolutely have a compression check and make sure the fluids are solid.

Another thing (slap me if it's a dumb question) lol what kinda compression should I be looking at for a car like this with 85,xxx on it?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Our carrier bearings/support/center bearings go bad from racing, age, engine/trans mount failure. If they are repairing/replacing it, then good. If it was well maintained by the previous owners, you have no worries.

Awesome appreciat the input

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you need anything else, you know where to find us.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by PopeManJim View Post
    Another thing (slap me if it's a dumb question) lol what kinda compression should I be looking at for a car like this with 85,xxx on it?
    I would say you should look for 125 psi or so. 10% + or - will be acceptable.

Awesome, I did a little research waiting to hear back from em today. Thanks for the input guys!

Thread Information