Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nero
    2006 gto

This is bullshit

So I'm heading to my friend's house to pick him up for a trip to Hooter's, and whilst merging onto the highway I hear a fast paced slapping sound from the right front end. I figured something had gotten stuck in the well and it would fall out, so I drove another couple miles, and the sound vanished.

At my friends house now, I decide to inspect the area. Its dark out, so I cant see much, and I run my hand along the inner part of the tire...and feel a gouge down to the metal ply. Yep, I got strut rub on my factory 2006 GTO with 17s and 245's. I am PISSED. Anyone have any special ideas on what I should say to the dealer? Im still under warranty, just under 30k miles, and basically flat broke. ANY help would be appreciated.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    So I'm heading to my friend's house to pick him up for a trip to Hooter's, and whilst merging onto the highway I hear a fast paced slapping sound from the right front end. I figured something had gotten stuck in the well and it would fall out, so I drove another couple miles, and the sound vanished.

At my friends house now, I decide to inspect the area. Its dark out, so I cant see much, and I run my hand along the inner part of the tire...and feel a gouge down to the metal ply. Yep, I got strut rub on my factory 2006 GTO with 17s and 245's. I am PISSED. Anyone have any special ideas on what I should say to the dealer? Im still under warranty, just under 30k miles, and basically flat broke. ANY help would be appreciated.
    I'd look in your warranty paper work find out to what extent and conditions warrant replacement. Then head to the dealer see if they'll replace it. If they dont replace it. I'd launch a complaint with their corrperate (spell?) office see what they say there. If not you just may have to buy a new one. At least you did'nt smash your car when it happened. Good luck!
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-05-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

The dealer is going to tell you that it's your fault for not maintaining your alignment. What you should do is have them check the strut mounts to see if they have collapsed, this is very common...because if they did there is no way for your car to hold the proper alignment even if you do have it aligned as pert of normal maintainence.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

take a tent and don't leave the dealership until it's covered. Whether GM want's to admit it or not this is a very well known and documented problem.

-

Strut / tire rub is very common from the collapsed strut mount. PM dms motorsports Mike White from Pedders USA. He's helped several people with information for dealerships. He won;t be able to guarentee they will do anything, but he can educate them a bit.

Nero
    2006 gto

Thanks for the help guys, looks like im just going to take it to a local mechanic that I actually TRUST. Idiots at the dealership claim to have serviced hundreds of GTO and never even heard of this problem. BS I say... here are a few pics I took with my cellphone.

Damn, didnt think theyd be that big lol...

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

What a bunch of BS... I hate Service depts. Call them and get their (shit forgot what they're called) regional manager or representative and take it straight up with them. You the first Owner. If so, I'd keep on it. They want to annoy you so you give up.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Thanks for the help guys, looks like im just going to take it to a local mechanic that I actually TRUST. Idiots at the dealership claim to have serviced hundreds of GTO and never even heard of this problem.
    They lie!!!!... this has had national attention.

Here's just one example:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/15/g...tire-shredder/

My car has a full Pedders setup and even at that I run 235 width tires up front...like were stock on the Monaro

Nero
    2006 gto

Im the second owner, bought it with 12k on it, but got an extended warranty and Im pretty sure I have GM Major Guard, though I dont know how much that'll help.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Im the second owner, bought it with 12k on it, but got an extended warranty and Im pretty sure I have GM Major Guard, though I dont know how much that'll help.

I would still try and contact the dealer rep. Only reason I asked is because I was told the would cover the sail panel bubbling on mine a few years back until they found out I wasn't the original owner. Their biggest excuse. BS...

Nero
    2006 gto

Yeah, sadly I think GM is going to try and screw us every chance they get now because of the shithole our new President has put our economy in with all this stimulus and environmental garbage. Speaking of, Im still waiting for global warming to start up. Poor ChiSox....

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

IMO, cars should have alignments checked prior to sale. There are other cars out there with sh1tty alignments eatin through tires like crazy. Makes the manufacturer look bad. The previous owner aligned the car over the course of ownership. I mean, how hard could it be to check alignment specs prior to sale?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I hate to say it, but your tires are bald. So I really doubt they will do anything with your tires. But if there is a strut issue, they need to fix it.

Nero
    2006 gto

Frankly Ed, at this point I dont even care about the tire. I was planning on getting some Potenza's later this month anyway since the ones I have on now are the original tires. Thing is I dont want to have to wait till the end of the month to get the suspension/alignment done, because cash is REALLY short.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This is why I am glad I work on cars for a living. As long as it's not engine related, I can do the repairs myself.

Black

Thumbs up

Is the tire mounted on a steel rim, Looks like rust? Is it an aftermarket rim? I dunno, if that makes difference or not. My did something simalar. The dealer asked no questions, and did replaced it. Hopefully they do the same for you.

<---- this has no relevance, it's just funny.

Nero
    2006 gto

Its the stock 17" rim, and that damn well better not be rust. If it IS rust, its just from the rotor and not actually on the rim itself. Dealer is being a total bitch, Im just taking it to my local guy. Id rather pay to have something done right than not pay and have them put it right back to factory specs and risk me having a blowout on the highway.

Quick
    2005 GTO

I have come to understand that MOST GTOs come off the boat with suspension problems. Sometimes its the strut mounts that fail, or springs that collapse and even bent swaybar end links. All of these problems can accure when the vehicle is strapped down for shippping. I would say your on the right track looking into pedders. I have found alot out on the suspensions of our GTOs researching pedders on forums...Goodluck in getting your car back to its potential!

Quick
    2005 GTO

Not to far from you and me...

Wretched Motorsports in Westfield MA. I just noticed where you live. Anyways, I stoppped by Wrenched last week, they specialize in our GTOs and are the only certified Pedders installer in the N.E. I know of. Rob Anderson is the guy to speak to if you get in touch with them. His cell number on his business card is (860)-281-5519. I am planning on setting up a date for him to do the front radius rods and rear casters to put the icing on my suspension. But he is the grand wizard in this region and I will listen to his understandings when I see him. I would say their at least worth the call. Hope this helps.

Nero
    2006 gto

Sweet, thanks Silver. Doesnt it just suck having our cars on these New England roads? It feels like we're driving on a friggin cheese grater.

Thread Information