Thread: Best Intake?

Impulse Blue
    05 GTO M6

Best Intake?

What is the best cold air intake? ive heard K&N and i found a New Era intake that claims 26ftlbs and 15hp at the wheels. Whats the best in your opinion?

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I'd go with the K&N just for the simple fact that K&N is a known product and has proven itself time and time again with thousands of drivers. When I heard of New Era I automatically thought baseball caps. If you go with New Era let us know how it works.

Mr.GTO

black
    2004 pontiac GTO

The JHP MAF pipe from OZ, ive heard nothing but good things about , and it still uses youre stock air box just drop in a K&N panel filter. Thats the route iam going soon.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I love the Amsoil and AEM DryFilter......
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Impulse Blue
    05 GTO M6

k thanks guys. and what about the new era numbers? do they seem a little optimistic to you?

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

New Era's stuff works. K&N works. They'll do about the same power wise. LPE makes a nice expensive one also. Speed Inc also has one that is probably the cheapest out there and it works also.

Just pick one that you like the most as they'll all make around the same, give or take a couple of HP's.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

black, and black
    04 M6

k&n

K&N good rep, been around for ever and everyone has used them

rednari
    The Hardcore and Intakes manifolds are the most effective. They both use large smooth metal tubes which can be insulated. They are also cost effective. But their best feature is that they both draw cold air through the wheel housing. I felt the difference "in the seat of the pants" after installing mine, and this, as well as your ET, are the only true measures of performance.

Also, do not confuse these intakes with the units which utilize the air flow from a removed fog lamp opening. While those units provide an additional ram effect to the motor, such units are prone to flooding the motor with water during heavy rain.

These are the only units to offer outside cold air at an affordable price.

An over the radiator cold air intake is the best! it allows air to flow on a straight path into the throttle body!
    Jake,

rednari
    Thats correct Jake, but the Aussie system is expensive and requires a low profile radiator as well. I did see one fit over the stock radiator, but it looked narrow and restrictive. Besides, you can purchase the Hardcore intake for about $100.

The only other option in finding cold air, is to go Mafless with the filter connected to the TB and install a hood scoop. But this method is also expensive when considering the cost of either replacing or cutting and repainting the hood. Red.

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    Thats correct Jake, but the Aussie system is expensive and requires a low profile radiator as well. I did see one fit over the stock radiator, but it looked narrow and restrictive. Besides, you can purchase the Hardcore intake for about $100.

i forgot about the clearance with the vented bonnet. some one should be able to knock one up to fit though. there are a few different shapes as for restriction no worries with the G&D alloy product or Power torque plastic unit. both require maffless tuning.
    Jake,

Impulse Blue
    2006 GTO

I love the CAI kit from coldairinductions.com...Pricey but looks awsome. Not sure of the power gains of it but it has a completely sealed off from the engine bay insulated box, and ceramic coated intake tube. I'd imagine most all CAI's are within 1-2 hp of eachother assuming your talking about top brand kits. Just my .02

rednari
    This one is for Jake again. I would like to see the hood to radiator clearance for the intakes you desribe. Post a link if you have one. There is barely and inch or so between the hood and radiator after the former is closed. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    This one is for Jake again. I would like to see the hood to radiator clearance for the intakes you desribe. Post a link if you have one. There is barely and inch or so between the hood and radiator after the former is closed. Thanx.
    No worries, i found one. they are a very factory looking piece of gear!
    http://www.marranos.com.au/packages.cfm#otr
    hope that helps. this does fit with the monaro/gto bonnet!
    Jake,

Thread Information